bridgeport

This just may be the best show Reading has put on the field in recent years. They are really prepared, really talented, have a super show and have the crowd. They are going to be hard to catch. I remind you also, that with some cooperation from mother nature, they wont have their weekend before finals cancelled due to a tropical storm. some great senior corps out there I am aware, but this is a very special group of young musicians

Edited by Olddog
  • Like 1

So based on everyone who has talked about the show, it seems most are on the same page. Wasnt at the show but these are my thoughts after reading the reviews.

-Bucs are #### good for this early, could they possibly peak too soon?

-MBI "has a chance" yet again this year but still stand around too much. Dont they learn?

-Empire is still about the crowd and still isnt doing enough to make a push for the top.

-Hurcs have stepped up but are too small to go anywhere.

-Cabs are much better but are being slotted.

-Bush is trying to hang in but refuse to go to Class A. Why?

Im sure Ill get a few thumbs down for this post but it seems like the start of the season is just like every other year. All corps are better but they all got better together rather than 1 or 2 making a big push.

• Like 4

no thimbs down ,and maybe MBI does stand around too much.

I thought they stood a little too much last year at Lewisburg, and by season's end, they added body and all kinds of stuff.

If any corps in DCA has shown us anything the last few years it's this:

Bucs will come out prepared, and kick a ton of ###.

MBI will add/tweak/enhance and by season's end, be right there in the mix.

Won't venture to guess which one will come out on top, but I'm #### sure they will both make it interesting AND entertaining

Edited by Jeff Ream

no thimbs down ,and maybe MBI does stand around too much.

I thought they stood a little too much last year at Lewisburg, and by season's end, they added body and all kinds of stuff.

If any corps in DCA has shown us anything the last few years it's this:

Bucs will come out prepared, and kick a ton of ###.

MBI will add/tweak/enhance and by season's end, be right there in the mix.

Won't venture to guess which one will come out on top, but I'm #### sure they will both make it interesting AND entertaining

i know it was a long time ago but when i marched we started out simple. as the season went on we would add things. and we even added stuff from prelims to finals. it works. and it worked for MBI last year to.

So based on everyone who has talked about the show, it seems most are on the same page. Wasnt at the show but these are my thoughts after reading the reviews.

-Bucs are #### good for this early, could they possibly peak too soon?

-MBI "has a chance" yet again this year but still stand around too much. Dont they learn?

-Empire is still about the crowd and still isnt doing enough to make a push for the top.

-Hurcs have stepped up but are too small to go anywhere.

-Cabs are much better but are being slotted.

-Bush is trying to hang in but refuse to go to Class A. Why?

Im sure Ill get a few thumbs down for this post but it seems like the start of the season is just like every other year. All corps are better but they all got better together rather than 1 or 2 making a big push.

I think that's a good way to sum it all up. The only thing I would say is I don't think Bucs will peak too early. I think they will peak at just the right time. They have great things going on with their program this year. Although I haven't been a fan of their winning streak and wish the circuit was a bit more competitive, you simply can't argue that the Bucs have earned every point allotted.

• Like 1

I think that's a good way to sum it all up. The only thing I would say is I don't think Bucs will peak too early. I think they will peak at just the right time. They have great things going on with their program this year. Although I haven't been a fan of their winning streak and wish the circuit was a bit more competitive, you simply can't argue that the Bucs have earned every point allotted.

this kind of streak hasn't happened since the mid 50's to the mid 60's. back then it was the cabs. and even they didn't rival what reading has done. it's amazing.

• Like 1

this kind of streak hasn't happened since the mid 50's to the mid 60's. back then it was the cabs. and even they didn't rival what reading has done. it's amazing.

Agreed. The thing is, the formula for emulating and surpassing what Bucs have done isn't all that hard. Yet still, not one corps has managed to do it, save one (and it remains to be seen if they can sustain it...and I'm not talking about winning).

Edit: I do think Cabs are taking the first steps in that direction though. It may not show up competitively this year, at least not yet, but they are putting the right people in the right places and have the committed administration, staff, and membership to make a serious run at long term competitive success. Heck, a couple tweaks to the show design they have, a lot of cleaning, and they can medal. It will be fin to see if they do it.

Edited by Kamarag

Agreed. The thing is, the formula for emulating and surpassing what Bucs have done isn't all that hard. Yet still, not one corps has managed to do it, save one (and it remains to be seen if they can sustain it...and I'm not talking about winning).

Im wondering why nobody (other than MBI last year) has done it then...

My guess is that corps are afraid to add rehearsals, change the way they rehearse, etc. because they dont want to scare long time members away by changing what they know. Kinda curious as to what MBI did...

• Like 1

Im wondering why nobody (other than MBI last year) has done it then...

My guess is that corps are afraid to add rehearsals, change the way they rehearse, etc. because they dont want to scare long time members away by changing what they know. Kinda curious as to what MBI did...

It's not all about rehearsal time. Effective use of the time you have, sure. Everyone seems to think Bucs rehearse all these crazy hours, when in fact, they don't. Friday evening, Saturday, most Sundays (they took yesterday off, in fact). Heck, MBI has a more extensive schedule.

I do think Cabs are learning that while it is important to understand and respect your history and traditions, it's equally important to refuse to be hamstrung by them. They must reinvent and redefine themselves for this era of DCA. So far, so good.

Edited by Kamarag

It's not all about rehearsal time. Effective use of the time you have, sure. Everyone seems to think Bucs rehearse all these crazy hours, when in fact, they don't. Friday evening, Saturday, most Sundays (they took yesterday off, in fact). Heck, MBI has a more extensive schedule.

I do think Cabs are learning that while it is important to understand and respect your history and traditions, it's equally important to refuse to be hamstrung by them. They must reinvent and redefine themselves for this era of DCA. So far, so good.

it will be interesting in the years ahead to see if your right about the cabs. they had different staff's back in the day. what stayed the same in all those years was the director. and of course they had people that stayed with them for years. and all the corps practiced on thursday and friday night's. saturday was about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. no sunday's unless you had a show. then it was a quick run through. if you have the right formula then you can do a lot in a minimal amount of time.