bridgeport

you must be going back several decades...They have been doing Sundays for many many years

My time with Sunrisers, late 1970s-early 1980s, we rehearsed on various Sundays during the season.

If we had a Saturday show in upstate NY or New England that involved a longer trip, we often had the Sunday off. Unless, of course, we had a Sunday show that weekend, too!

I've got to say: I'm really glad that the Cabs put out a more "out of the box" program this year instead of the same old same old. I love this show just like I loved Carmen a few years ago.

I got a chance a few weeks ago to check out a Cabs rehearsal when they were up in Hudson. They performed in a parade in town and then I followed them back and watched a little of their rehearsal that evening. I can tell you that drumline is tight! I think they had a couple of ooops moments in Bridgeport which hurt their score but this drumline should be turning heads.

Another observation I made is visually, this corps actually moves very well. Better than most of the other corps I've watched in rehearsal. I know this is sac religious BUT I really believe the Cabs need to make a uniform change. Their visual program is not too far off from The Bucs, but their uniform gives everything away. Baggy shirts, the stripe on the pants... The Bucs uniform is so smartly designed, it hides everything.

I'm not saying the Bucs aren't good don't get me wrong... I'm just saying that the Cabs are almost equally as good from a movement standpoint but don't get the credit. I'm concerned that if the corps doesn't bite the bullet and update their design one day, they will never be competitive visually.

Not major changes, just a few small ones.

Another observation I made is visually, this corps actually moves very well. Better than most of the other corps I've watched in rehearsal. I know this is sac religious BUT I really believe the Cabs need to make a uniform change. Their visual program is not too far off from The Bucs, but their uniform gives everything away. Baggy shirts, the stripe on the pants... The Bucs uniform is so smartly designed, it hides everything.

Cabs are making major strides in their individual visual program, especially with regards to how they train the members. I completely agree with your comments about the uniform. I said this in another thread and it directly applies here: It is important to respect your history and traditions, but it's equally important that you aren't hamstrung by them. Cabs need to find a way modernize the look of the corps, even if it alienates some of their alumni in the process. Besides, the alumni corps can carry on the uniform tradition just as well if not better.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Thank you. I really appreciate that!

We work just as hard as everyone else out there, I can guarantee that. I have been around long enough to know that the way this corps rehearses is ALOT different than how we did it in the 90's. Much more efficient use of our time, and run very well I might add. Ample amount of time for water breaks when it is called for, and the attitude in this corps is amazing. EVERY member has bought into the program, and EVERY member enjoys performing this show.

There you have it!!!

Any other questions or concerns from anyone on this thread, you can PM me. I will gladly answer any question you have.

I won't PM you this question, I just want to know where Sadie's cabs onesie is

:tongue:

It's not all about rehearsal time. Effective use of the time you have, sure. Everyone seems to think Bucs rehearse all these crazy hours, when in fact, they don't. Friday evening, Saturday, most Sundays (they took yesterday off, in fact). Heck, MBI has a more extensive schedule.

I do think Cabs are learning that while it is important to understand and respect your history and traditions, it's equally important to refuse to be hamstrung by them. They must reinvent and redefine themselves for this era of DCA. So far, so good.

MBI rehearses on Wednesday nights from 6-10 pm. Sections may have an additional Tuesday or Thursday night on occasion. If it is a show weekend then they basically turn the weekend into a camp situation. One entire weekend off a month. This type of schedule tends to discourage out-of-towners who might want to march. But what it does really well is that only a few days will go by without reinforcement and retention of what was learned in the previous rehearsal.

Edited by Ron H

Looks like a nice dogfight between ES, Hurcs, and Cabs. Can't wait to see if C2 fits into that battle at all.

Curious why you'd outright admit Empire should be lumped with Cabs and Hurcs, but not MBI. Empire was closer to MBI than to Hurcs and MUCH closer to MBI than MBI is to Reading. Just wondering.

-Empire is still about the crowd and still isnt doing enough to make a push for the top.

You got that first part right. Honestly, who else pays money to see you?

• Like 1

Curious why you'd outright admit Empire should be lumped with Cabs and Hurcs, but not MBI. Empire was closer to MBI than to Hurcs and MUCH closer to MBI than MBI is to Reading. Just wondering.

Probably because by seasons end, MBI separates itself from 3-5. Not opinion, fact.

When they come out for the early/mid season shows, they are lumped in with everyone else but come finals, there is a clear separation between Bucs and MBI with the rest of the pack.

You got that first part right. Honestly, who else pays money to see you?

Its all fine and good to make your first thought "lets please the crowd" but dont think back later about why they didnt win.

• Like 1

Its all fine and good to make your first thought "lets please the crowd" but dont think back later about why they didnt win.

You can do both, my friend. But that attitude is among many reasons why it's hard to put butts in the seats. If you are only playing to the judges, eventually they'll be the only ones there. Judges do not keep drum corps going. The crowd does. The smaller the crowd gets the less likely it is there will be a next year. And boy you betcha Empire draws a crowd.

Probably because by seasons end, MBI separates itself from 3-5. Not opinion, fact.

When they come out for the early/mid season shows, they are lumped in with everyone else but come finals, there is a clear separation between Bucs and MBI with the rest of the pack.

I'm not saying MBI isn't consistently good, heaven knows they are, but you base your opinion on what? The last few years? Your statement sounds pretty abosulte considering they hadn't broken the top 3 until what? A few years back? Let's also consider that until MBI won prelims last year, Statesmen were as close as anyone was to Reading during their streak coming within .8 at Reading's own homeshow in 2010 while putting the crowd on it's feet (READING'S CROWD), the week before DCA. Even the mighty MBI couldn't accomplish that until the next season when they ultimately won, and rightfully so. So to say that Reading and MBI distance themselves from the entire rest of the pack on a consistent basis isn't quite accurate. Not to say that it hasn't happened. It is far too early in this season to say that it will. Just saying.

Edited by OldManDrumCorps
  • Like 1