What a great show for the fans! It's awesome to see the corps so prepared this early in the season.

Just a quick take on what I saw at the show.

Bush -- Great to see them still out there. I do wish they would go A class with their size but I guess with all that pride it's hard to do. Show seems above their heads but in true Bush fashion they will be fighting for a finals spot in the end.

Empire -- Entertaining music book and DM for sure but them seem to have only 2 volumes, back field and LOUD! I wish their visual book matched the music book though. Transitions seem very forced and unorganized. I do believe if they can fix their visual issues and shape the music, this show will grow on me by the end of the season. By The way, their Cg uniforms are hot :-)

Bucs -- Best show that I have seen from them hands down! The staff change is working for them. Show is fresh, fan friendly and very entertaining. Brass and percussion books are off the hook. Color guard is going to be awesome by the end of the season and the drill is the best that I have seen in DCA. If they can clean this show, this will top any other show they have produced!

MBI -- I can't wait to see this show at the end of the year. Fun show to watch with a lot of great execution for June 30. Brass and percussion seem very strong, Color Guard seems a little smaller then last year but can be very supportive to the concept once it's developed. They do have a few CG transition to smooth out but I am sure that will be done by September.

Hurcs -- Very entertaining show, really like the music. Brass seems more prepared then I remember. Percussion seems a little over balanced but if they fill the brass holes we might being hearing a whole different program. Love the Color Guard! They are so good. I am concerned that the brass and percussion staging seem to be second fiddle to the CG. (could be the holes) Looking forward to seeing this when they are full!

Cabs -- This one was hard for me. I really dig what they are doing but you have read through dirt. I think they are trying to be like Reading (from a demand stand point) but they are very sloppy right now. Don't get me wrong I love the show for what it could be. In my opinion they are staged very well but the corps needs to get better at what they are doing. If they can get their members to understand the show from a cleanliness and emotional stand point they are going to be very very good!

I want to say thank you to all alumni corps. It is awesome and a honor to watch you all!

Here is my ranking of the night:

Bucs

MBI

Cabs

Hurcs

Empire

Bush

Good review of the show. I pretty much agree with much of what you posted, but I felt a little differently about the placement of the corps. I also though the spread from 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th could have been a bit bigger. Me thinks there might have been a little bit of playing it safe happening.

Bush is obviously trying to push through some tough times. The show seems a bit out of reach for the corps they have on the field. They haven’t seemed to learn that you have to design for the corps that you have, not the one you wish you had. I hope they can fill the holes and do some re-writes to make this corps look better by September, but it's going to be a struggle. I agree with 6th for Bush and thought that they could have gotten about a 60.0

Empire also seemed to be struggling more than usual. They have some strong lead sops, but they completely overbalance the rest of the horn line. Battery seems very green with lots of dirt, although they seemed eager to perform. And as usual, the whole corps works hard to sell what they are doing. The problem I have is I am not so sure this show has enough to keep them in the top 5, even if they do get clean. The drill was pretty basic and even so, not very clean. I had them 5th in the show, maybe at about a 72.5

Buccs took the field next, and I mean they seriously "took the field". They were very strong in all captions, with an obvious difference in the visual caption compared to everyone else. Nobody even came close to marching the drill that Bucs did, and they are doing a pretty good job of it already. The color guard looks very hot and sophisticated. There was still some “iffyness” in a few spots, but overall they were great. The brass was strong & tight, although there were some timing issues in the slower tune. The drumline was awesome for late July, let alone June. This show has it all. 1812 is one of my favorites and the Buccs bring some serious heat with that production. Definitely 1st IMO and the score could have easily been an 83.0 compared to the other corps and what I have seen as a mid 80’s performance over the years.

Minnesota was on next. Man, they get a great sound! The battery is very strong, pretty close to Bucs, but not the same level of book, IMO. The brass sound is rich and well balanced. They play cleanly and never go overboard. The color guard seems to not be quite up to the level of the other sections just yet, and the overall visual program is pretty stagnant, albeit readable. They park and bark for a good portion of the show, and while it gives them a chance to really put out a great sound, it just doesn't create the energy that Buccs do. (or Hurcs & Cabs for that matter) It's not just a little different. It's VERY noticeable. I had them very close to Hurcs, but 3rd with a 77.5.

Hurcs have seemed to have continued their course of improvement that they have been on for the last few years. The drum line is pretty solid and is playing an aggressive book. The guard does a great job and is already fairly clean, although they seem to keep things a bit more one dimensional than do Buccs and Cabs. The hornline is noticeably better than last year, although they get outbalanced by the drums quite often. This is a good show that can go a long way if the corps can fill out and clean the snot out of it. I had them 2nd with a 77.8. I could have been convinced to flip 2nd & 3rd

Cabs have really changed things around this year, and it's working for them. The show is interesting throughout and offers a lot more variety than recent years. There is still a little more dirt in the horns and drums than Minnesota, but I think that is because they are attempting more visually. They seem confident and aggressive enough to pull this show off, but it's just not quite as ready as Hurcs & Minnesota yet. I don't see them (or anyone else from this group) catching Buccs, but I would definitely say they have the most potential out of the rest of the corps from this show. I had them 4th tonight, but only by a few tenths. 77.0

Overall, most of the top 5 from 2011 seem pretty ready to duke it out again this year, although I think Buccs are on a different level, at least for now. We'll see how things progress. It's going to be interesting to see how Kidsgrove, Corpsvets and maybe even Cadets2 fit into the mix. My guess if that there will finally be some excitement throughout the top 10, and not just with one or two corps.

Bridgeport was a great DCA show. I would have gladly paid twice the price, but I’m glad I didn’t have to! :thumbup:

Annapolis is going to be an epic battle!

Two terrific reviews... thanks!!!

Both great reviews. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow! what great back to back reviews! Never seen that B4, felt like I was there. (and I've seen Mn. Brass live). These go along with what friends told me who were there.:rolleyes:

See all y'all in Anna Polis,

Lar P

Gov Love

Good review of the show. I pretty much agree with much of what you posted, but I felt a little differently about the placement of the corps. I also though the spread from 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th could have been a bit bigger. Me thinks there might have been a little bit of playing it safe happening.

Bush is obviously trying to push through some tough times. The show seems a bit out of reach for the corps they have on the field. They haven’t seemed to learn that you have to design for the corps that you have, not the one you wish you had. I hope they can fill the holes and do some re-writes to make this corps look better by September, but it's going to be a struggle. I agree with 6th for Bush and thought that they could have gotten about a 60.0

Empire also seemed to be struggling more than usual. They have some strong lead sops, but they completely overbalance the rest of the horn line. Battery seems very green with lots of dirt, although they seemed eager to perform. And as usual, the whole corps works hard to sell what they are doing. The problem I have is I am not so sure this show has enough to keep them in the top 5, even if they do get clean. The drill was pretty basic and even so, not very clean. I had them 5th in the show, maybe at about a 72.5

Buccs took the field next, and I mean they seriously "took the field". They were very strong in all captions, with an obvious difference in the visual caption compared to everyone else. Nobody even came close to marching the drill that Bucs did, and they are doing a pretty good job of it already. The color guard looks very hot and sophisticated. There was still some “iffyness” in a few spots, but overall they were great. The brass was strong & tight, although there were some timing issues in the slower tune. The drumline was awesome for late July, let alone June. This show has it all. 1812 is one of my favorites and the Buccs bring some serious heat with that production. Definitely 1st IMO and the score could have easily been an 83.0 compared to the other corps and what I have seen as a mid 80’s performance over the years.

Minnesota was on next. Man, they get a great sound! The battery is very strong, pretty close to Bucs, but not the same level of book, IMO. The brass sound is rich and well balanced. They play cleanly and never go overboard. The color guard seems to not be quite up to the level of the other sections just yet, and the overall visual program is pretty stagnant, albeit readable. They park and bark for a good portion of the show, and while it gives them a chance to really put out a great sound, it just doesn't create the energy that Buccs do. (or Hurcs & Cabs for that matter) It's not just a little different. It's VERY noticeable. I had them very close to Hurcs, but 3rd with a 77.5.

Hurcs have seemed to have continued their course of improvement that they have been on for the last few years. The drum line is pretty solid and is playing an aggressive book. The guard does a great job and is already fairly clean, although they seem to keep things a bit more one dimensional than do Buccs and Cabs. The hornline is noticeably better than last year, although they get outbalanced by the drums quite often. This is a good show that can go a long way if the corps can fill out and clean the snot out of it. I had them 2nd with a 77.8. I could have been convinced to flip 2nd & 3rd

Cabs have really changed things around this year, and it's working for them. The show is interesting throughout and offers a lot more variety than recent years. There is still a little more dirt in the horns and drums than Minnesota, but I think that is because they are attempting more visually. They seem confident and aggressive enough to pull this show off, but it's just not quite as ready as Hurcs & Minnesota yet. I don't see them (or anyone else from this group) catching Buccs, but I would definitely say they have the most potential out of the rest of the corps from this show. I had them 4th tonight, but only by a few tenths. 77.0

Overall, most of the top 5 from 2011 seem pretty ready to duke it out again this year, although I think Buccs are on a different level, at least for now. We'll see how things progress. It's going to be interesting to see how Kidsgrove, Corpsvets and maybe even Cadets2 fit into the mix. My guess if that there will finally be some excitement throughout the top 10, and not just with one or two corps.

Bridgeport was a great DCA show. I would have gladly paid twice the price, but I’m glad I didn’t have to! :thumbup:

Annapolis is going to be an epic battle!

Excellent review...Thanks! :smile:

I agree with you in terms of spread right now being too close with Buccs and MB. Buccs are definitely on another level visually right now IMO with all sections strong along with a harder drill and musical book. While it would make for some interesting story-lines as the season progresses, I just don't see MB right now passing Buccs with their current visual program.

Thanks for the reviews folks!

Excellent review...Thanks! :smile:

I agree with you in terms of spread right now being too close with Buccs and MB. Buccs are definitely on another level visually right now IMO with all sections strong along with a harder drill and musical book. While it would make for some interesting story-lines as the season progresses, I just don't see MB right now passing Buccs with their current visual program.

Don't worry, somehow, I'm sure that the gap will close in a remarkably predictable fashion, especially at the Sunday shows in August. I predict that MB & Bucs will be within 1 point by the last show before prelims.

Don't worry, somehow, I'm sure that the gap will close in a remarkably predictable fashion, especially at the Sunday shows in August. I predict that MB & Bucs will be within 1 point by the last show before prelims.

Doubt it. Midwest/west/south corps are off that weekend while the east corps have a show...