Attraction?

about 10-12 years ago my brothers started marching band and several of the school techs marched (phantom 87 Glassmen 92-98 Cadets 98) and they started listening. Since i was in middle school band i started listening to it and went to my first show in 04. Marched in 08 and plan on marching my ageout next year. Madison was the first show that made me really see the activity and since then Ive always wanted to march there but being a high school student it cost to much. Nothings stopping me next year.

Good for you!

What attracted me to the activity was watching the Madison Scouts casually, yet authoritatively float onto the field at an exhibition back

in 1982...then they lined up, hit that first amazing note of Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, and basically owned me and the rest of the crowd.

I have been hooked ever since!

My mom showed me the 03 finals broadcast before my freshman year in high school, but it didn't really stick. A couple of months later, one of my friends handed me a CD with "1996 Blue Devils" scribbled on it (we were playing Club Blue as our show that year). First big hit was all it took.

Went to my first show in 2003, and was completely blown away by it. I knew at that point I would march at some point, but it wasn't until I got to high school, and my band director was an SCV alum and DCI judge, and he really inspired me to do it, and helped me on the path to drum corps. He would show us the ESPN broadcast every year, and I fell in love with my future corps by watching those broadcasts

2006, a show was held at Troy University in Alabama, which is where I'll graduate from next May. At the time, I had no idea what drum corps was. As a matter of fact, I thought the Cavaliers were from the University of Virginia :thumbup:

But, in a nutshell, that show attracted me simply because of the fact that they were so much better than anything I had seen before. And the level of seriousness was also a huge plus.

At the time, I had no idea what drum corps was. As a matter of fact, I thought the Cavaliers were from the University of Virginia :thumbup:

LOL, was at college in Western PA and was wearing the jacket of my first (long gone) corps. Thing was purple, had a keystone on it and the word "Cavaliers". One of the band members asked if I was with the Cavaliers he saw on PBS few weeks back. He knew I marched corps but only things he knew about DC was what was said on PBS (pre-Internet days). I just said it was a different corps and not as good as what he saw....

Actually that corps never made it out of the practice room so REALLY not as good.... :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You can hear all about my story right here...

Very funny!

Speaking as a music educator...

What attracted me to drum corps?

All. Those. Kids.

All those kids working so very hard to perfect such beautiful music.

The world needs more of them.

• Like 1

Freshman year of high school my band director showed us a video of Madison's 1994 rendition of Malaguena. I loved it but didn't find out what drum corps actually was until 2 years later, when I watched a copy of the 2007 ESPN broadcast. Auditioned, marched two summers so far, taking this summer off :thumbdown: , but have two more years of eligibility after this one.

Huge part man!! Those Drum Corps Fan Dream part duos was awesome! Between Madison and the Blue Devils I was always jamming out to drum corps.

Glad I could play a small part in your interest! :thumbup: