ACTION JACKSON

Was at the show last night.

Here is a quick little review:

Got there around seven to see Crossmen do their warm-up. As everyone knows the sky fell.

There was this water tower visible from parking lot that got annihilated by lighting. It wasn't damaged at all, but seriously the light show was nuts!

The rains stopped, and we went to see Bones warm-up. They did a short visual warm-up, I think they already did one pre-rainstorm. And they spent a lot of time in arc. Really fine tuning some exercises. THey even took like a 10 minute or so break. They kept things really loose. They played some show segs, and man can that hornline play! Low brass, tubas, wow. Really loe the added color the Flugels add also.

Missed Everyone up to Teal Sound. Got to my seats for Crossmen's show.

Performance felt kinda flat to me, but I really like the show. And with some changes I really think they are going places with the show. Drill is meh. It is challenging, but not very engaging. Visual performance int he beginning was great. They were marching great, but once they stepped off into the second piece foot timing and consistent technique were not all that great. THey changed to a more relaxed technique this year, and it's looks as though some people are taking that heart, and then there are the opposites still using last years technique. Over all great show. A couple of electronics issues, but for the most part great balance, except for the wireless mic on the mello soloist ending up coming over the stadiums PA system. So we got quite a bit of mello. He didn't have his best show either. Haha.

Colts- Brass is loud, but extrememly unrefined. I wasn't really into the sound they were giving us. Drums were killing it though. Drill was more engaging than Crossmen, but not performed very well. A lot of holes it seemed like also. The closer was the only thing memorable for me. Trumpet soloist had a good night. But it sounds like he is playing the hardest thing in the world. I could hear Crossmen's screamer better when he was back on the field and the cops was playing all out. This guy is right in front of us on the track. It's entertaining as heck though. Great closer. Rest of the show, MEH. Should be competitive in the 13-17 range. I don't see it making finals.

Crown- You need to see this show live. Supposedly they had an off night? I did see a lack of energy, I think they were tentative because of the. With that drill nothing can save you. Anyway, I LOVED the show. Brass sounds great. I LOVE THE DRUM WRITING. It's not just ramming notes as some other corps do( I mean they are playing a lot of notes, but it makes sense with the music). I think it's the best drum book in DCI. They just need to clean it. And there are still phasing issues that have to be worked out. And they need to figure out how not to sound like crap on the second to last set before the drum break into the last hold. I think a drill rewrite is in order.

I think this show can win. My only issue is that some of the drill I just think is not achievable. There are sets full out running, doing large than a 4 to 5, and they are not making the set. Effort is great, and they are managing to not look like a bag of ###. But I think some sets are just not possible. Hope they can prove me wrong.

Cadets- I appreciate the performance level. Brass is loud, and sounds great. However, I heard a lot of cracks, and quite a few individuals at certain points. Carol of the Bells gets a little old after a while. But I did notice some changes that raised my interest level. And really the first 4 minutes is quite a nice production. After that? Meh. Jingle Bells is alright. The swing section seems extremely forced to me. The ballad is nice. Wish they would turn front field so we could hear the horn line, because I'm sure it sounds great. I wasn't that into it. The closer, I like the opening section, then once they kick it in high gear it's just too much. I don't know. I just don't like the musical arrangements. It's typical Cadets drill, and I like it. I don't know... maybe once they get it clean I'll like it. The only thingI can really make out is the Charlie Brown quote. Overall, I can get into the show. I HATE Christmas music. So I'm like meh to begin with. But I cannot deny that there are some really entertaining parts of this show.

Left after Cadets to go say hi to some friends at the busses before they left. Heard Cadets2 opening impact while walking away from the stadium. It sounds great!

I would have gone more in depth.. but I'll save that for the review forum if I decide to post one.

I did not see anyone mention the sound coming through the stadium PA system during the Crossmen performance. We heard what sounded like a open wireless mic on one of the Crossmen mellows. If was not coming though the Crossmen sound system (or was balanced in the mix). But it was clearly coming through the speaker up the pole near the Souvie area. I noticed it during the last 2/3rds of the show but it may have been on the whole show.

If it was on for a solo, I missed the solo. Maybe they took it out of their sound mix but left the mic on. Then the PA system picked up the frequency.

Yeah, some staff were not very happy about that. I guess there is no way to hit the off switch during the show? I noticed it was on during warm-ups too. So maybe it is something they have to keep on. Hope the PA system didn't pick it up during other shows. Hopefully the distance was too far. And I noticed it throughout the entire show. You'd think they would have turned the PA system down or something? Maybe they weren't abel to? Who knows. I know the brass caption head was not a happy camper though. I don't know for sure, but I don't think he is a big electronics fan.....

Surf: In the reviews on DCP more than one person has said "you have to see it live", I agree. I did see some video clips of the first performances and thought, wow that's dirty. Live these kids giving of a great vibe and really look like they are having fun, I think they are. Watch the drum set player with the mohawk, he also leads the crowd with the banana stick rehearsals. Pit grooves and smiles A LOT. Nice colors in the guard. Wife said the unis have too much blue, spash of color in the scarf around the hat please? She suggested the teal from the guard uni. Drum majors do a great job with solos on horn, and at camping it up a bit. The contras park it right behind the pit for a good part of the opener, my gripe is that they aren't spaced well....are they still looking for a contra? To me that was distracting. Overall great vibe, banana sticks used just the right amount and the end of the show. I wouldn't mind a higher velocity or tempo here and there, not sure if they will fit that into this kind of program. Keep cleaning. Crowd loves it.

From what I have heard, the drill was written for 12 contras and they only have 9 at the moment. They'll either rewrite the drill or fill those spots eventually.

Made our way to our seats as the Thunder sticks were in full force as Surf took the field. Not surprised to hear a low brass early entrance on the opening hit. Right from the start of the show, the low end synth goo was so over powering that you wanted to cover your ears. I thought it was allowable to radio the sound board guy to adjust mix when things are out of balance? What could the staff in the stands been hearing that they never turned it down? It was annoying enough throughout that it totally ruined my enjoyment of the show. I think most of todays younger fans have the impression that Bridgemen were always just having fun on the field "back in the day". Many don't realize that they focused on execution as much, if not more than, performance. That said, Surf seems to have jumped over the execution portion somewhat. Yes the show is fun and accessable. While the thunder sticks are a very cool crowd participation toy, the crowd is having timing issues wapping them that also affects the timing issues on the field. The corps has alot of work to do if they expect to be able to perform up to the level that truly would be a tribute to Bridgemen of old. Working on those things is probably not all that much fun I guess.

I don't know where to start breaking this down, so I'm just going to call you extremely bitter/biased and leave it at that. Seriously, you had such low expectations of them that you weren't surprised by them coming in early?

Edited by MetalTones2012

From what I have heard, the drill was written for 12 contras and they only have 9 at the moment. They'll either rewrite the drill or fill those spots eventually.

I don't know where to start breaking this down, so I'm just going to call you extremely bitter/biased and leave it at that. Seriously, you had such low expectations of them that you weren't surprised by them coming in early?

Bitter and Biased? NO, sorry, disappointed perhaps. I simply call em as I heard em. The reason I was not surprised was because of what I saw/heard in the lot before the show. That is what set my expectations for what they brought to the field. BTW...just looked at the recaps for last night...looks like the brass and drum judges must have been bitter and biased too?

Edited by truman

Cadets- I appreciate the performance level. Brass is loud, and sounds great. However, I heard a lot of cracks, and quite a few individuals at certain points. Carol of the Bells gets a little old after a while. But I did notice some changes that raised my interest level. And really the first 4 minutes is quite a nice production. After that? Meh. Jingle Bells is alright. The swing section seems extremely forced to me. The ballad is nice. Wish they would turn front field so we could hear the horn line, because I'm sure it sounds great. I wasn't that into it. The closer, I like the opening section, then once they kick it in high gear it's just too much. I don't know. I just don't like the musical arrangements. It's typical Cadets drill, and I like it. I don't know... maybe once they get it clean I'll like it. The only thingI can really make out is the Charlie Brown quote. Overall, I can get into the show. I HATE Christmas music. So I'm like meh to begin with. But I cannot deny that there are some really entertaining parts of this show.

I bet this will definitely happen by Atlanta

I bet this will definitely happen by Atlanta

Honestly I doubt it. It seemed to me (at least from watching the show last night in Jackson) that it is meant to draw attention to the guard.

Honestly I doubt it. It seemed to me (at least from watching the show last night in Jackson) that it is meant to draw attention to the guard.

Ah, bummer! I bet it would be a great moment (not that it's not already!)

Ah, bummer! I bet it would be a great moment (not that it's not already!)

I could be wrong; I HOPE I'm wrong because I'd really like to hear that chord, but I'm betting I'm right unfortunately.

They did a great job last night...really loved their show. This might be the best Raiders corps ever, at least in my recollection.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Raiders again at the Clifton DCA show on the 14th.

Saw 'em in Wildwood in June and their drill wasn't yet finished... but I agree with you, they have a very solid show this year. Terrific horn line.

You know, I still don't understand why people get distracted by this, let alone complain about it. He's been doing that for years, and besides, he wasn't the only person walking around during the show. I guess people are distracted by all those people with green shirts running around on the field as well.

actually if you like watching the pit he is distracting.