Chambersburg Show

How much did the town of Bridgeport kick into that show ? Thought I read $20k somewhere. Hardly minor. Bridgeport is an aberration -- even for DCA.

Like I said -- show me someone who runs a DCI show where all tix are general admission at $5/head.

i won't disagree there. but the average DCA show is hardly priced like a YEA show, and again, those shows can be more expensive to run

Complain about everything?

I wish I was set financially where money wasn't a good enough reason to complain.

And really, while the cost of the show was just pushing a little too much, the fact that he can't once go against the grain of YEA is just aggravating to me and many other posters.

But hey, I guess since what I said is against the Cadets and their parent organization, you have to stick up for them and I don't blame you. However, I've always been a huge fan of the Cadets, just not a fan of everything they do.

Well when you grow up in the city like I did, you find a way to make it happen. There are a lot of expensive things people can't afford, but some people also learn how to budget. Complaining hasn't really done anything about it. When is the last time you complained about DCI's ticket prices? Last time I checked, they're high as well (relatively speaking, of course).

i won't disagree there. but the average DCA show is hardly priced like a YEA show, and again, those shows can be more expensive to run

DCA shows are priced to both sell a lot of tickets (volume so you make money on concessions and souvies) and still make as much money as possible just like every other drum corps show. What you're really saying here is that people who attend DCA shows are not willing to pay as much for a ticket as those who attend a DCI show. I agree.

YEA shows are definitely priced higher than some other DCI shows. But IMO they're just charging what the market will bear. Honestly can't fault them for that -- why should they make less money when folks are willing to pay more ? There were great crowds at both shows so from a marketing/profitability standpoint the price points were not set too high.

And hey -- they have t-shirt guns at intermission ph34r.gif

Edited by corpsband

Well when you grow up in the city like I did, you find a way to make it happen. There are a lot of expensive things people can't afford, but some people also learn how to budget. Complaining hasn't really done anything about it. When is the last time you complained about DCI's ticket prices? Last time I checked, they're high as well (relatively speaking, of course).

I have only been to two non-YEA show ever. 2 years ago I went to the Bridgeport DCI show, and I don't remember ticket prices being that bad and Allentown many years ago, I think maybe 2007 and to be honest I don't remember the pricing.

DCA shows are priced to both sell a lot of tickets (volume so you make money on concessions and souvies) and still make as much money as possible just like every other drum corps show. What you're really saying here is that people who attend DCA shows are not willing to pay as much for a ticket as those who attend a DCI show. I agree.

YEA shows are definitely priced higher than some other DCI shows. But IMO they're just charging what the market will bear. Honestly can't fault them for that -- why should they make less money when folks are willing to pay more ? There were great crowds at both shows so from a marketing/profitability standpoint the price points were not set too high.

And hey -- they have t-shirt guns at intermission ph34r.gif

welll...look at a recent and formerly historical show that ran in your back yard.

Hershey.

3-5 DCA corps, 4-6 DCI corps, and the Marines. Every year. And as of 2005, before HERCO went stupid, ticket prices never once went above $20. Average attendance around 6500, did top 8000 the year BD and SCV were there.

And let's be honest. You and I both know if you call Sean and say your band is considering USBands, you'll get good seats free.

Plus, until this year, I could get seats just as good at Allentown for all 23 corps for the same price as I would have paid at Chambersburg

Edited by Jeff Ream

welll...look at a recent and formerly historical show that ran in your back yard.

Hershey.

3-5 DCA corps, 4-6 DCI corps, and the Marines. Every year. And as of 2005, before HERCO went stupid, ticket prices never once went above $20. Average attendance around 6500, did top 8000 the year BD and SCV were there.

And the DCA/DCI mix meant the potential customer included a lot DCA folks who would flat refuse to pay "DCI" prices.

And HP Stadium is a big venue ! When you have THAT many seats to fill, you can make up in volume what you might lose in higher pricing. And there's no telling what that price might be now -- 7 years later. Anyway I've already agreed YEA prices are little higher than some other venues. Nothing really new in any of this.

I've yet to read a post of yours where you weren't praising the all mighty YEA or pushing something on their agenda.

There have been shows of the Cadets I have not really liked...and I've said so, for one thing. I don't blindly support any group, let alone YEA. I state MHO on what I believe...where it is aligned with their 'agenda' that is just fine with me, but I don't "push" their agenda...I speak my own POV. I have no contact with YEA outside of the band I teach participating in USBands competitions.

Heck in 40 years of teaching band and corps the only judge I have ever actually yelled at was Hoppy a number of years ago at the TCNJ show. I'm hardly one of his favorite people. I speak my mind about flaws I see in USBands judging philosophy all the time; George and I have very different views in that area.

I find the 'kool aid' comments to be very demeaning and condescending.

Want all out drum corps entertainment for cheap?

$5 General Admission ticket at Bridgeport DCA show. Stands were about 3/4 full.

What does a DCA show subsidized by the city to the tune of 20K have to do with the prices at a DCI show?

Where can you find a show that has TOO high prices?

MetLife Stadium show. $29 to sit outside the 20's, $49 to sit low near the 50 or high up outside 20 or $75 or $125 to sit closer to the middle on the 4th floor.

Those sound high...but so is the cost of renting a large NFL stadium. Do you have inside info on the cost of running a show like that at a venue like that? My guess is that it is quite an expensive proposition, but it is just a guess. Without knowing those costs you can't say it is too expensive.

The most expensive seats also provide this: (includes VIP credentials to the VIP reception in the West Hall, access to the Lexus Club, VIP parking, complimentary program guide, and seating in section 239) according to the YEA website.

However, my comments were aimed at Jeff's post about Jackson and Chambersburg being too high. IMO they were not.

Hershey.

And let's be honest. You and I both know if you call Sean and say your band is considering USBands, you'll get good seats free.

Plus, until this year, I could get seats just as good at Allentown for all 23 corps for the same price as I would have paid at Chambersburg

How is any of that relevant to the claim that the prices charged are too high...esp when every seat is sold?

BTW..some of the other DCI shows cost about the same as this past weekend, just picking a couple...

Drums Across Kansas:

Super Premium $50

Premium $30

Reserved $25

DCI St Louis:

$10.00 - Standing (REG - Regular Price)

$20.00 - Blast (REG - Regular Price)

$25.00 - Super (REG - Regular Price)

$35.00 - Premium (REG - Regular Price)

$45.00 - Super Premium (REG - Regular Price)

Want to buy an orchestra seat for "Spiderman, Turn off the Dark" on Broadway? They cost $135-$157 per ticket at full price.

Drum corps shows IMO are a good deal for a great evening's entertainment.

How much did the town of Bridgeport kick into that show ? Thought I read $20k somewhere. Hardly minor. Bridgeport is an aberration -- even for DCA.

Like I said -- show me someone who runs a DCI show where all tix are general admission at $5/head.

There was a corporate SPONSOR who donated 30K to the Barnum Festival....

I hate when people argue about prices... if YOU think it is "too expensive" then DON'T GO

Especially silly of an argument when both venues were PACKED.

Corps organizations are literally "scraping by" and us "fans" are complaining the ticket prices are too high??!!! What the heck.

• Like 1