Blue Devils Calendar

Simple, follow a contra player march BDs show, then watch a contra player march Crowns show. Notice intervals, playing while marching, pass throughs and how often they are integrated into the main form, then ask yourself which player marched the more physical show.....then do the same thing with Cadets and Cavies. If you are honest with yourself, then it will become apparent that of the elite corps, BD is the least physical.

Your idea of difficult is far different than mine. I don't agree with you at all. As I said before though, I don't think any one group is doing anything harder than anyone else; it is just different. I don't feel there is any way to objectively say something is more difficult. I'm sure an archer would have a hard time doing long tones with 12s and 4s. Likewise a horn player might have a hard time hitting a bulls eye from 50m. But to each, their respective craft is #### easy. It's relative. A Cavalier might have a hard time with a Blue Devil show and vice versa.

Your idea of difficult is far different than mine. I don't agree with you at all. As I said before though, I don't think any one group is doing anything harder than anyone else; it is just different. I don't feel there is any way to objectively say something is more difficult. I'm sure an archer would have a hard time doing long tones with 12s and 4s. Likewise a horn player might have a hard time hitting a bulls eye from 50m. But to each, their respective craft is #### easy. It's relative. A Cavalier might have a hard time with a Blue Devil show and vice versa.

An even better analogy....fencing. Foil vs Epee...both point weapons, but both fenced TOTALLY differently due to the diffs in scoring area and some other rules.

I did decently in foil....but when I did epee I got slaughtered.

I never said a BD show is not difficult, just less physical, in the end the only arbiter that can truly tell us who is more difficult is a person who has marched both BD and another elite corps in the past 5-8 years. However with your logic, are we now giving more weight on how the show is designed in October, then how it is performed in August?

• Like 1

An even better analogy....fencing. Foil vs Epee...both point weapons, but both fenced TOTALLY differently due to the diffs in scoring area and some other rules.

I did decently in foil....but when I did epee I got slaughtered.

I see the point of your analogy, but to me your analogy is more like DCI vs WGI. Both take a very similar skill set, but the sports are totally different.

I see it more as 2 jigsaw puzzles, one is 500 pieces and completely black, the other is 2000 pieces and a clear defined picture....which one is harder?

This argument back and forth about the lack of demand in Blue Devils visual program is the same every year... ironically with almost the same result.

Edited by musclebud

I never said a BD show is not difficult, just less physical, in the end the only arbiter that can truly tell us who is more difficult is a person who has marched both BD and another elite corps in the past 5-8 years. However with your logic, are we now giving more weight on how the show is designed in October, then how it is performed in August?

You don't get a sense of the physicality of an entire group based on one individual in one section. For every set that one member is doing 12 to 5, another is doing 6 to 5. The physicality of a jazz run is far less than that of a 6 to 5. Marching at slower tempos requires greater body control and a stable core. For example, I can do 50 push ups for endurance. But if I did slow down for 2 hold for 1 slow up for 2 I would probably be shaking by 20. Another example, I would rather sprint a 400m than walk a marathon.

There are physical demands in big and fast and physical demands in short and slow and any other combination. You seem to be saying that because Sally in corps 'X' covered a greater distance than Bob in corps 'Y', corps' 'X' show is more physical.

you missed the entire point so i guess all i have to say is...

whoosh!

Would love to see BD attempt a Cadets show and see how well they could play while running through a Sacktig closer. I think the whole "we're so good we make it look easy" thing might revealed as hype. On the flip side Cadets would completely fail at all the dance/movement you see in a BD production.

Whoosh indeed

You don't get a sense of the physicality of an entire group based on one individual in one section. For every set that one member is doing 12 to 5, another is doing 6 to 5. The physicality of a jazz run is far less than that of a 6 to 5. Marching at slower tempos requires greater body control and a stable core. For example, I can do 50 push ups for endurance. But if I did slow down for 2 hold for 1 slow up for 2 I would probably be shaking by 20. Another example, I would rather sprint a 400m than walk a marathon.

There are physical demands in big and fast and physical demands in short and slow and any other combination. You seem to be saying that because Sally in corps 'X' covered a greater distance than Bob in corps 'Y', corps' 'X' show is more physical.

Then dont watch the individual...watch the section and still get the same effect.

you missed the entire point so i guess all i have to say is...

whoosh!

Whoosh indeed

Would love to see BD attempt a Cadets show and see how well they could play while running through a Sacktig closer. I think the whole "we're so good we make it look easy" thing might revealed as hype. On the flip side Cadets would completely fail at all the dance/movement you see in a BD production.

In the end -- if you read the DCI Visual Analysis sheet -- the language is sufficiently broad that BD's productions can be judged right along side a more conventional drill program.

Keep leaving that last sentence off , don't you?

Clearly my point was BD has their "style" and Cadets have their "style" and competitively they both are rewarded. In fact -- I actually SAID that didn't I. :doh:

• Like 1