Blue Devils Calendar

Just one more point. I, as a BD fan, live in Northern CA, where we have very little to celebrate in terms of any kind of winning. (the giants don't count, or at least rarely count.)We only have the weather going for us. so Please forgive us when we actually get behind a winner. Said with tongue in cheek. That means good natured sarcasm for those from Rio Linda.

I'm from California too, so I know what you mean about having sports teams that aren't really known for consistently winning. The weather is kind of the best part (except when it's 110 or so with no breeze). I just would rather see people win and be humble about it. Like maybe not wear past rings during performances? I've never seen anyone else do that, and I'm not really sure when or why it started. Sam? Do you have any insight to that one?

well.....no.

Not the biggest fan of BD's recent offerings, but here is what you and many other don't get.

They don't beat you over the head with a skill a zillion times. They show you they can do it, do it well, and move on. You can write the most rediculous show on earth, but if you never get it clean, why bother? BD shows you they can do the skills well, and enough of the skill, then add another skill to follow it or layer on it.

Speed and running around a playing a bazillion notes at a 2 to 5 is not the only demand out there. And that's what people refuse to get.

Granted, as I said, I haven't been a fan of their recent shows, but Irealize they do it enough to show you they can and move on.

I mostly agree and have said these same things myself.

I will throw this out there for discussion:

<satan's lawyer>

If a figure skater A does 1 quad in their long program and figure skater B does 4 quads (all different mind you -- toe loop, salchow, lutz, axel and all spread out in the program) in their long program, who gets more credit? Both skaters performed the same skill yet skater B performs the skill multiple times -- even at the end of their program when the physical demand is much more difficult).

Does the same thing apply in DCI?

</satan's lawyer>

I mostly agree and have said these same things myself.

I will throw this out there for discussion:

<satan's lawyer>

If a figure skater A does 1 quad in their long program and figure skater B does 4 quads (all different mind you -- toe loop, salchow, lutz, axel and all spread out in the program) in their long program, who gets more credit? Both skaters performed the same skill yet skater B performs the skill multiple times -- even at the end of their program when the physical demand is much more difficult).

Does the same thing apply in DCI?

</satan's lawyer>

It depends.

Are there rocking horses on the ice?

:devil:

How about watch the entire corps. Watch the color guard. How about not ignore the rest of what I said.

How about read the rest of what I have said and the rest of the posts I have posted. I do watch the entire corps, and I did not pull this assessment out of a hat, nor is it a position that many people disagree with unless you have a relationship with the Blue Devils organization. I have said over and over again by watching the corps that pretty much everything is the same as far as difficulty with the elite corps other than drill. Maybe the problem is that the WGI approach to drill no longer makes it an apples to apples comparison anymore.

• Like 1

I'm from California too, so I know what you mean about having sports teams that aren't really known for consistently winning. The weather is kind of the best part (except when it's 110 or so with no breeze). I just would rather see people win and be humble about it. Like maybe not wear past rings during performances? I've never seen anyone else do that, and I'm not really sure when or why it started. Sam? Do you have any insight to that one?

People don't go to BD and expect to be "good" (even though they do). People don't go to BD for a "good summer" (even though they do that too). People go to BD to win. Of course, that's not the only reason, or even the most prevalent all the time, but BD is basically THE corps you can make expecting to win or get second place. It's part of the culture. Why get all worked up about it?

• Like 1

People don't go to BD and expect to be "good" (even though they do). People don't go to BD for a "good summer" (even though they do that too). People go to BD to win. Of course, that's not the only reason, or even the most prevalent all the time, but BD is basically THE corps you can make expecting to win or get second place. It's part of the culture. Why get all worked up about it?

I saw my first drum corps show in 2000 and saw SCV live. I fell in love with drum corps and was a die hard SCV fan. Then I saw BD live in 2001. I knew that is where I was going to end up. That was what I wanted. I had no clue about their past success. I didn't go there for a ring. I went there to be a Blue Devil.

Edited by hboyce
  • Like 2

Then maybe you shouldn't be making sweeping generalizations.

read my previous posts and you will see it not a "sweeping generalization" I am talking small degrees between a small group of elite corps. I am talking about different types of demand. Maybe I am framing the question wrong, but the premise is not without merit.