Blue Devils Calendar

No Jeff I didn't say all the posts were and I really appreciate your posts. I notice though that the same people come and bash anything the see that has BD on it but if you even mention an extra loud pit mic job of their corps you get red neg'ed for the next week and get branded a trouble maker.

BD doesn't even have drill per se -- it's organic staging (a la winterguard). During the season the dots are eventually formalized, entered into pyware, and then handed out to the members. Listen to Scott Chandler talk about it at the marching roundtable.

I have to admit I'm a little skeptical about some of the credit they receive in visual ensemble. Prima facie their composition value is far weaker than Cadets or Crown. There's very little "drill" to judge. Personally I think that conventional drill should always be a part of the activity. I have no problem wandering away into 'staged productions' for a while but I think "drill" is a fundamental component of drum corps and there should be a good chunk of it in a show.

Would love to see BD attempt a Cadets show and see how well they could play while running through a Sacktig closer. I think the whole "we're so good we make it look easy" thing might revealed as hype. On the flip side Cadets would completely fail at all the dance/movement you see in a BD production.

In the end -- if you read the DCI Visual Analysis sheet -- the language is sufficiently broad that BD's productions can be judged right along side a more conventional drill program.

BD could do Cadets drill and Cadets are doing movement like BD. No failing from either group. How about them apples?

No Jeff I didn't say all the posts were and I really appreciate your posts. I notice though that the same people come and bash anything the see that has BD on it but if you even mention an extra loud pit mic job of their corps you get red neg'ed for the next week and get branded a trouble maker.

I call out anyone with bad balance. I call out the judges for the lack of balls to address it.

and really.....let's look at the red/green thing.

I'm probably the most blunt honest ######## on DCP.

I should be red marked past Howdy's red marks, yet I've got green to spare.

So if one really cares about the red/green thing and gets that hungup on it, well, that's a whole new conversation to have in the OT forums

Cadets are doing movement... but they're not doing movement like BD.

Ok then, they are getting similar training and then doing movement appropriate to their own show.

I call out anyone with bad balance. I call out the judges for the lack of balls to address it.

and really.....let's look at the red/green thing.

I'm probably the most blunt honest ######## on DCP.

I should be red marked past Howdy's red marks, yet I've got green to spare.

So if one really cares about the red/green thing and gets that hungup on it, well, that's a whole new conversation to have in the OT forums

Yea i like your perspective.

• Like 1

Me either. Which is why I never chose to march there. Just a difference in philosophy. I would rather a corps be humble and show what they do on the field, which the Devils know how to do, then try and make it about off-the-field stuff.

And Plan, you know my school wins on occasion. :tongue: We're getting better with that, hence the new coaching staff and the best ranked quarterback in our conference

Rah, Rah, Sis, Boom Bah!! :thumbs-up:

15! (just trying to be humble) :innocent:

not all of the posts are bashing...I in fact was complimentary of some things. Please do not make generalizations like this.

In fact, I had to check the author a couple times to be convenced you wrote the posts....but yes, you have been extraordinarily complimentary and even....it's hard for me to type this........balanced! It's that new baby...that's what it is! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Rah, Rah, Sis, Boom Bah!! :thumbs-up:

15! (just trying to be humble) :innocent:

Well, thank you for at least making it subtle. :tongue:

I'm just glad that we can all get along. Yeah, there are some people who just try and turn everything about the Blue Devils into an argument, but it's better if people actually have a nice conversation. I understand your viewpoint and perspective on them, and I respect it. I know that their methods work well for some people, but it's just not something for me. I gave them a try, but didn't find the environment something I enjoyed, so I went elsewhere. Yeah, some of the fans get a little annoying, but it seems like most of the fans are on the level. I just don't like it when people try and make me feel stupid for having a different opinion, or not being a die-hard fan of everything they do. 1998 and 2000 are still among my top shows from any time, those were really great shows

I thought this was about the Blue Devils Calendar. I must be missing something here but I notice any thread on here that mentions the BD's in any way (positive or negative) turns into a total bash thread.

thumbdown.gif

Not really? Yeah, there are some comments on here that aren't glowingly positive, but that happens with every corps. Not everyone is going to be a die-hard fan of every corps, and that's fine. Everyone is allowed to like whichever corps they want to like. But trying to make things into a negative generalization isn't right either. Yes, some people don't like the Blue Devils. You can either accept it and live with it, or try and talk and complain about it every time it comes up. There are people who don't like my favorite corps, but I try not to lose any sleep over it.