Religion while on tour.

For those who have marched during the DCI touring era, how did corps handle members who whished to attend a service during the weekend, whether on tour or during monthly camps? Or do they just blow it off during those times? Sorry deity, sorry Mom.

(Note: In early 65 BAC stopped off near Rooservelt Stadium in Union, NJ to attend Mass. We came in last. The corps never attended any religious service (as far as I know) since then.)

I know Pioneer used to take the Sunday morning block off for church, I don't know if they still do to this day.

I think most kids just take the method of personal religion, and just pray on their own or read their text privately. When you're on tour, there's no time to take off for that, and I remember not even knowing what day of the week it was most of the time, so I couldn't have known whether it was Sunday or Thursday

• Like 2

I know Pioneer used to take the Sunday morning block off for church, I don't know if they still do to this day.

I think most kids just take the method of personal religion, and just pray on their own or read their text privately. When you're on tour, there's no time to take off for that, and I remember not even knowing what day of the week it was most of the time, so I couldn't have known whether it was Sunday or Thursday

Try getting the Catholic Church to accept those options.

• Like 1

People who take their religion seriously should get the option, whether the non-religious believe it to be a time-waster or not. Corps do not have the right to take the option away from their members. Commiting to a corps is not a commitment to leave behind religion.

• Like 3

There was a group that set up a tent at the shows that was dedicated to worship and was focused on allowing the musicians to have a place of worship while on tour. Evan, the tour director from Crossmen 2011, was involved and my son had mentioned it to me a few times. Sounds like a neat idea. If oyu like more info I can ask my son about it

People who take their religion seriously should get the option, whether the non-religious believe it to be a time-waster or not. Corps do not have the right to take the option away from their members. Commiting to a corps is not a commitment to leave behind religion.

... you just can't have people leaving rehearsal every sunday of the season.

Corps provide the summer schedule. When a member signs up, they are aware of the situation. If you can't be in rehearsal because of other commitments, then you are probably better off not in drum corps. That said, if you need to take 2 minutes to pray multiple times a day, that can probably be worked around. But missing hours in a row is not going to cut it.

• Like 2

Glad you asked about it! Any current marching members can ask around about Box 7 ministries. It is a group of members from a wife range of corps who meet after shows and regionals for some good company and discussions on faith and bettering themselves mentally. Time is hard to come by and Box 7 keeps that in mind when planning and tries to accomodate as best as possible. Striving to be a better person during the trying times of tour (even supporting those not in faith) is a very admirable cause. If anyone here has any questions on it they can feel free to PM me anytime.

• Like 7

There was a group that set up a tent at the shows that was dedicated to worship and was focused on allowing the musicians to have a place of worship while on tour. Evan, the tour director from Crossmen 2011, was involved and my son had mentioned it to me a few times. Sounds like a neat idea. If oyu like more info I can ask my son about it

Yes, there is a network of kids from a wide variety of corps who get together at shows during their free time after they perform. They locate each other via their cell phones and they come together each evening for spiritual time. I frankly was completely unaware of this until several BAC members told me about it last summer on tour.

With the modern touring demands, I can forsee no way in which a corps could provide church time on Sundays.

While it would be nice if corps were able to provide time for members to fulfill their religious needs, it's simply not realistic. An hour on Sunday morning is difficult enough to provide week in and week out. What about kids who want to attend church Wednesday and Sunday nights as well? What about observant Jews . . . could you imagine corps letting them out of Friday night and Saturday practices and performances? Religious needs can pretty varied. No way can a corps realistically expect to meet them all in any fair or meaningful way.

Corps do not "take away" religion from members. Members still have a right to practice their religions as they see fit. They just might not be able to march and do so . . . it's unfortunate, but marching drum corps isn't a constitutionally guaranteed right.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3