Blue Devils vs. Carolina Crown

It's naive to believe that only these two corps are contenders for gold come August.

Thank you Michael Boo. Why are people throwing the Cadets out, as if they have absolutely no chance of winning this year. Hello, people. Look at what they did last year. This thread is somewhat pointless right now.

Sorry, but the show design last year (with respect to this year) is night and day. Don't get me wrong, I love their show this year (after REALLY thinking it would be cheese) but I just don't see it as a championship show. Last year's show was most certainly a championship design. Now, if I am wrong (it has happened before, a time or two) then I will happily take any barbs thrown my way.

• Like 4

It's naive to believe that only these two corps are contenders for gold come August.

Maybe so, but at this point they are the two corps in the lead. If it was Cadets and BD, or Crown and Phantom, the same thread would pop up. Comparing the two highest scoring corps at this point isn't the same as declaring a winner in August.

You're free to start a thread about the reasons you feel Phantom will bring it home in Indy.

Crown should win with this show, but they are not going to...Leon has to rewrite significant amounts of the drill in order for Crown to even have a chance of catching BD. The problem is that the drill is too #### hard...I have marched Leons drill before, and I know how demanding it can be....but when I saw Louisville I honestly thought it was the hardest drill I have ever seen in my life. They do it ok, but when compared to BD it is going to look sloppy.

Here is where im gonna jump in. Why cant the Cadets catch BD? Why cant the Cadets catch crown? I am no means a Cadet honk (i hate christmas music) Why cant Phantom catch crown? Phantom and Cadets are closer to crown than Crown is to BD. Nothing is locked up i see any of those 4 with a shot come august.

So many people look at a raw score and think, "THat's the spread". The night before they were down .5. The spread went up .. now ask yourself why? Judges aren't looking at a drum section and saying .. .they flat out deserve a 8.0 and a 7.6. It's all in relation to the very first score they give out for the night. From there it's up +.1 or -.3 or whatever in between. Raw scores and spreads mean next to nothing. Spreads in captions is where you have to look to find your winner. More than any caption .. it's GE because those scores are never divided.

Here's where I have a problem. One could argue .. Crowns brass line was worth a 9.0 and an 8.8 .. but that would put them a full point ahead of everyone else in brass and saying they're about 1pt away from being perfect with a month left to go. In truth ... BD, Cadets Phantom whomever ... should have only been worth a 7.1 or a 7.4 .. not 8's and 8.5's. If a corps is that much better in any particular caption .. there's no way to quantify it with the numbers the judges have available to them. This is why I hate the scoring systems of DCI and always have since the tick system went away. It just doesn't make any sense.

• Like 2

Sorry, but the show design last year (with respect to this year) is night and day. Don't get me wrong, I love their show this year (after REALLY thinking it would be cheese) but I just don't see it as a championship show. Last year's show was most certainly a championship design. Now, if I am wrong (it has happened before, a time or two) then I will happily take any barbs thrown my way.

I agree, Cadets have one of the most pleasant shows this year...you cant help but have a child like smile on your face from beginning to end, but compared to Crowns and BDs design, its not at that level. I think Phantom can be a dark horse, they are clean, but their drill is sort of blah for me. I am also a huge fan of Bluecoats this year...I wish they could get back in the top 3 because I love the direction that corps takes you.

• Like 1

Did you predict that Cadets would win last year when they placed 4th at DCI Minnesota? :tongue:

This.

There is a TON of time for corps to clean the product they're putting on the field and there isn't a corps out there that is even remotely close to peaking yet, there's still a solid 3 weeks or so before even the mature corps start getting to that point.

Neither did the tick system. It was FAR more subjective than the current system is.

Be that as it may ... I really didn't post my full thought.

Let's say Crown and BD are the only 2 at the top .... BD goes on first and averages a 9.8 in all captions. Maybe BD's drum section was so great in comparison to anything before them .. they should have had a 10.5 (which isn't possible).

Now Crown comes on .. they average a 9.8 in all captions but beat out BD in Brass by .6 total .. and lose drums by .4 (when it should have been .9). Crown wins .. is it fair?

Vice Versa .. Crowns horns had no room left on the scores to properly show how much better they are compared to anyone below them ... PR get's a 9.7 in Brass. Cadets get a 9.75 ... BD get's a 9.85 .. but Crown performs at what should be a .5 spread better. There is no room. IT's stupid. Scores are stupid. Without having oversight every single year and throughout the season .. where judges change their calibration for scoring on the fly ... there will always be this problem. If a corps sets a new standard for what a 10 should be .. then everyone elses scores should go down in order to adjust for the new bar that has been set. THIS NEVER HAPPENS. And that's why you always have sketchy spreads that don't make sense when it comes to the elite corps.

Neither did the tick system. It was FAR more subjective than the current system is.

Yea..No matter how you slice it it's going to be subjective.

All I can say is.... if Carolina Crown can beat BD this year. Right F'n on! if not, hey next year then. Much respect. I really do like their show! worthy.gif

• Like 1