Blue Devils vs. Carolina Crown

Once again let's see if we can make people understand this concept...just because YOU don't like the show does not mean that someone else doesn't find it entertaining. There is nothing wrong with liking or disliking a show, but to say that because more people seemed to enjoy Crown (for whatever reason, be it they actually enjoy the show more, they want someone new to win, they want to see Crown take their first championship, the Blue Devils killed their parents or whatever)that the Blue Devils are not putting out an entertaining product. It IS entertaining for those of us who are entertained by it.

I enjoy their show quite a bit. In fact, I enjoy almost anything that is done at an insane skill level. People can enjoy different things. For me, how clean and skillfull a show is performed directly relates to my enjoyment. That may not be the case for you, and that is totally fine. But to say that because a show that is being performed at a higher quality level than any other show so far this year does not deserve to win because YOU don't like it as much as another show is just wrong.

Exactly. I am not a "BD Honk," as it seems like most people that dare to say they like BD's show are labeled. But I really liked their show a lot. I like a couple other shows better, but I was very entertained by BD's show, and found it very compelling ... and I have all season long. The Satie is beautiful. The jazz is awesome. If you don't like it ... fine. But don't pretend like you are the world's foremost expert on what is entertaining to people.

As I have said before, I don't particularly like Fanfare as a song. I was called a snob for that (how that makes me a snob, I do not know). I realize that a lot of people (if not the vast majority of people) do like the song quite a bit. Should I start claiming that Crown's show is not compelling or entertaining and should not be getting the scores it is getting because I don't personally like it? Of course not. That would be absurd.

• Like 3

I try to go out and watch lot during some of the less amazing shows... I don't think I'm going to have a gap this year. I'm staying put.

• Like 2

Crown will catch BD & win the championship.

But only if they wear spats right? :tongue:

• Like 2

Registered just to post my thoughts on this dynamic between BD and Crown. Perhaps it's been discussed in other threads (I've yet to look), but my big question surrounding who may win this year - while admitting it very well could be Phantom, Cadets, or SCV and this could all be moot - is how in the hell are the judges able to compare the two shows as an honest apples to apples comparison?

When we talk high scores, we throw words around like "clean," "challenging," and "execution," yet BD is on top this year for seemingly very different reasons. They move around in globs for much of the show, for what seems like the first minute they're playing the same note over and over, and the concept is over-the-head if not completely bewildering to much of the show-going public. Is the sophistication of the show's design that much of a weight on what the judges are seeing, or they actually salvaging (somehow) what is clean, being executed properly, etc. within the artistic Chaos of Cabaret Voltaire?

I'm not here as someone interested in a heated debate, my wife and I loved both these shows at NightBeat along with the others (the Tour of Champions format was a real treat...all those amazing corps!!!). But when the scores were announced, especially after Crown's performance in front of their home crowd, I found it hard to believe their show did not win the evening.

EDIT: Think I'm finding what I need from the "Perectly Clean Wins?" thread. Some good discussion about my specific question - thanks.

Edited by ghostnotes
  • Like 2

for what seems like the first minute they're playing the same note over and over

I know this wasn't really your point, but they are staying true to the source material, which I love--John Adams's Harmonielehre. Wish they'd played beyond the opening bars (with a little recapitulation later on).

So is anybody frustrated that Blue Devils might beat Carolina Crown AGAIN this time and nobody else will ever win except Cavaliers, Cadets, Santa Clara, Blue Devils and/or maybe Phantom?

Best show design + best performance wins: I could NEVER be frustrated about that. If that's Blue Devils, Crown, Bluecoats, whatever. Just because I like another show better doesn't mean it should win

• Like 2