Blue Devils vs. Carolina Crown

I think the top four shows are all fantastic and could well win. Cadets seem to have the least momentum, but you can't count them out. Phantom, with a few tweaks, is definitely a serious contender as well. But of course BD and Crown are definitely the top two at the moment.

I hadn't cared for BD's shows since 2007 and I wish they would do something a little more straightforward, just to try something new and different, BUT after seeing this year's show live, I came around to it. While the voiceovers #### me the hell off, everything else about BD's show is really incredible--the design, the music, the performance. I love it all except the #### voice that covers up those great elements.

I think Crown's show is the most ambitious thing on the field this year and they are doing an amazing job. I am confused by all the discussion of how sloppy their drill is, when they are managing to score just under BD in visual performance and best everyone else while they're at it. I don't claim to understand the captions well enough to understand why Crown lost to BD twice in a row, but they are definitely within reach.

I prefer to see Crown win because I have a soft spot for them and because they deserve it and because this show is worthy. But if any of the top four win I will be happy for them, because these are all fantastic shows.

• Like 2

So is anybody frustrated that Blue Devils might beat Carolina Crown AGAIN this time and nobody else will ever win except Cavaliers, Cadets, Santa Clara, Blue Devils and/or maybe Phantom?

Well, the corps that placed 4th at Show of Shows last year ended up winning DCI! The season is only half over. The corps still have a lot of days to clean and add. Let's just enjoy them now and see what happens!

Lol we'll agree to disagree. I loved that show from Phantom that year like 99% of the fans out there but the Blue Devils deserved that title that year.

Yep, I think I'll have to agreed to disagree with you as well...as will most of the other thousands of fans that screamed when it was announced, making it the loudest audience DCI has ever experienced. ;)

Well, the corps that placed 4th at Show of Shows last year ended up winning DCI! The season is only half over. The corps still have a lot of days to clean and add. Let's just enjoy them now and see what happens!

I think you mean MN. Here are the placements for the 2011 Show of Shows (the day after the MN event):

The Cavaliers 87.90

The Cadets 86.75

Blue Devils 86.45

Carolina Crown 86.00

Phantom Regiment 84.85

Bluecoats 82.55

Santa Clara Vanguard 81.95

Blue Stars 78.75

Edited by Kevin.

I agree, Cadets have one of the most pleasant shows this year...you cant help but have a child like smile on your face from beginning to end, but compared to Crowns and BDs design, its not at that level. I think Phantom can be a dark horse, they are clean, but their drill is sort of blah for me. I am also a huge fan of Bluecoats this year...I wish they could get back in the top 3 because I love the direction that corps takes you.

Sorry to hear that you think PR's drill is 'blah'. I think it is beautiful, coordinates with the music and story wonderfully and is clear to read!

I agree about the Cadets. If they can work out the staging in their ballad and get rid of those god awful props (boxes), this is a great Cadets corps with loads of talent and desire. They have a monster of a show with a good amount of demand. On the visual side they have some really cool moments in their drill!

I agree! The show is beautiful and enjoyable, but those cheap looking cheese slices need to go!

I think you mean MN. Here are the placements for the 2011 Show of Shows (the day after the MN event):

The Cavaliers 87.90

The Cadets 86.75

Blue Devils 86.45

Carolina Crown 86.00

Phantom Regiment 84.85

Bluecoats 82.55

Santa Clara Vanguard 81.95

Blue Stars 78.75

I think you are right! Thanks for catching that!

I saw the Blue Devils live for the first time this year. I will admit that I was expecting not to like them after reading the comments on DCP. The Blue Devils have a phenominal hornline and drum line this year. I can't believe the sound they put out and the level of difficulty in their music. Though the guard good, I don't believe it is at the same level as past years. Perhaps other guards have caught up to them. I need to say that the French voice-overs bothered me in the beginning of the show. In fact, I felt one of the voice-overs covered up the first soloist. However, I did get used to the voice-overs as the show continued. I certainly can appreciate the technical level and artistic achievement of this show even though it is not one of my favorites.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Yes... BD achieved the highest score in their history and 2nd highest in DCI history. CC had a phenomenal show in 2009, but it was up against that and came in second by a 1.5 margin (which at finals is relatively huge). IMO, this year it's much closer, and I expect a bunch of nail biting at all three events in Indy.

Having said that... "Competitive Inertia" is clearly working for CC, though they had a bit of a slip the last 2 years, they have arrived to the top 3 dance and IMO, are staying until they win it all.

Heh. I just signed up for Drum Corps World, and was very amused to see an article in the latest issue by Jesse Amador that cites that phrase with credit to Bruckner8's posts here at DCP.

So is anybody frustrated that Blue Devils might beat Carolina Crown AGAIN this time and nobody else will ever win except Cavaliers, Cadets, Santa Clara, Blue Devils and/or maybe Phantom?

Hey don't forget Anaheim! I think the Kingsmen are building back up to a second title!

• Like 1