Blue Devils vs. Carolina Crown

Context of what? All I see is:

Uh-huh!

Nuh-uh!

Uh-huh!

Nuh-huh!

In which you are fully participating. DCP Protip: Don't like a thread, don't post in it. Don't like certain type of behavior? Then don't engage in it.

No, you took a slice of a post and bent it to your beliefs. But whatever. You are right, I concede that point.

Over the years, the Blue Devils have caught a LOT of flack for trash talking the other corps, general arrogance, and a strong sense of entitlement to winning a championship. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Crown is in 2nd place right now, and it seems like they only thing in the world they want is to win. They take 2nd as a complete defeat. I have listened to members, staff, and especially fans of the corps call foul on the whole system just because they aren't winning.

I'll give you that fans have expressed frustration in the judging system.

I'm curious, however, into your inside track within the Crown organization to know that members and staff have been trashing the judging community and how you've come to determine that the only thing they want is to win.

You'll of course forgive my skepticism. You've only just joined DCP a month or so ago, and I'm 100% certain that you're not just here to start ####.... :shutup:

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

Gotcha, They have an outstanding vehicle with which to win a championship, and are achieving at a championship level... just getting cheated by the judges and competetive inertia... Gotcha! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

doh.gif

DCP needs to start mailing Xanax to BD honks asap. They're falling of the deep end.

Please quote the message where I said that. blink.gif

• Like 3

Dangit, you make a great point in your last two paras but for the first, please see facebook, tumblr and a lot of posts on here. There are MANY, countless people who think that because Crown's show is "harder' it should win.

Well, to be fair, difficulty level is part of the scoring (phrased as "depth of technical skills" or "challenge" among other formulations), as is "simultaneous responsibility". And I think Crown *is* getting credit for cranking those levels up this year from the judges. Which may be why while everyone says they look "dirty", they are coming in a close second to BD in the visual categories most every show.

I guess what I'm confused about is why people (such as the OP) confuse an argument that amounts to "I thought corps X achieved more than corps Y and thus should have been scored higher" with an "entitlement" or "questioning the entire system". Unless you want to argue that the existing scoring system is perfect (which seems unlikely given how often its been revised) or that judges are 100% objective (which again, see the number of and scores given by the GE judges at the major shows), then while it might be objectionable to argue that Cascades ought to be outscoring Blue Devils, it seems to me that the difference in Crown's and BD's scores is well within the margin of what should be acceptable to argue about.

• Like 2

EPO...that's what Crown really needs with their show!! If it was good enough for Lance Armstrong it's good enough for Crown...besides there is no drug testing in DCI. :rolleyes:

It's that time of year, isn't it? Where we clearly have two corps at the top of the heap, and we're starting to see everyone split it one side or the other? Me, I just want to see the best corps win, no matter which one it is. Would I like to see Crown get their first title? Sure, but not if they don't work hard and earn it.

But most of all, I want to see the winner be classy about their win, and see whoever comes in second to be gracious about it, and not act like a bunch of hurt little babies because they didn't win. They still beat 30-40 other corps (based on Prelims), that's a huge accomplishment I'm sure any corps would want. I can't think of a corps that wouldn't want to be medaling with a great show, please act like adults about it. It's better to be second than twenty-second, so it's no failure at all. It's an accomplishment, be proud of what you pulled off. No need to whine because you didn't win, be happy that you made it as far as you did.

And no one is forcing anyone else to read threads on DCP, and post in them. There is no rule you have to post in every thread, so if you don't like the content, just avoid the topic. No need for snide, snarky remarks trying to belittle other people. Let's try and keep things civil and be adults on here.

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 4

Also, I do need to make a point here. MANY have made the argument that BD is "not engaging" the crowd. But MAN have I seen a lot of arguing over their show! Obviously they've engaged enough people to actually make pull out the phone at the show or post when they got home. Engagement =/= entertainment.

Surely "audience engagement" also does not mean "get any form of attention on message boards" does it? Just because people are arguing about it, doesn't make it "engaging".

(Disclaimer: I think the BD show is highly engaging. Just making the point that the amount of dissatisfaction about a show expressed on a message board doesn't have anything to do with whether that's so.)