Blue Devils on top...really?

I am so upset with placement results because from what I witnessed from the stands with my own two eyes, two ears, two arms, two legs and multiple brain cells...I could just...wait a moment...I wasn't there. Never mind. :tongue:

• Like 2

Clean wins. Crown will be sloppy in comparison for the rest of the year even though they have that sweet horn sound.

Sweet? They ain't sweet, they's LOUD!!! :w00t:

For sheer beauty in brass, Cadets and Phantom are putting some of the most beautiful sound on the field this year.

Subject to other opinion by my betters, of course. :cool:

Cut the narration, especially the French part, and I rather enjoy the show. The narration is distracting, unnecessary, and makes me angry.

• Like 2

I haven't seen Crown or Cadets this year, and I haven't seen BD in a few weeks, but from me following the Blue Devils and looking at the recap, it's easy to believe that BD was better. I know they can always kick butt in visual, and they have a great general effect this year. I am excited to see Crown and Cadets. I also hope all 450 young adults from those corps the best of luck this year. Can't wait for finals.

BD has a solid show.

So does Crown.

Either show could take the championship.

Crown fans: If BD wins its not the end of the world, Crown will get another chance hopefully in the future, if not, oh well.

BD fans: If Crown wins, don't act like they didn't deserve it. You guys have had plenty of awesome years, and 2nd place isn't a horrible thing.

2012 is a pretty good year, unfortunately I'm having trouble keeping interest, even with this competitive edge.

Edited by Njfritz
  • Like 1

The Blue Devils are performance art. They know the judging sheet don't require you to march complex forms to visually interpret the music or mood. So, with less demand placed on the marching member, the easier it is to execute their music. What the Blue Devils do they do well. Their staff knows the system and uses it to their full benefit. Based on the way the judges are scoring their show, they will probably jazz run to another championship this year.

I love marching. 2003 Cavaliers and 2011 Cadets are two of my favorite shows. That being said, that's why I haven't enjoyed Blue Devils marching shows 2007-present. I loved their music last year. This year I like the music too. But, this years show is a WGI show with brass horns. Until Michael Cesario and the judging community addresses the marching issue Blue Devils will continue to do these kind of shows and continue to do very well. I sure if the judges changed the sheets to reward complex field drills The Blue Devils would do very well as well.

So good luck to all the corps.

• Like 2

Until Michael Cesario and the judging community addresses the marching issue Blue Devils will continue to do these kind of shows and continue to do very well. I sure if the judges changed the sheets to reward complex field drills The Blue Devils would do very well as well.

No, what really should happen is that visual should be de-emphasized. Change the math so that it's a 60-40 spread in favor of music. While you're at it, add "entertainment value" as criteria on both GE sheets. That would solve the problem as you see it.

"Complex field drills" will only make every visual program look like Cadets.

• Like 1

No, what really should happen is that visual should be de-emphasized. Change the math so that it's a 60-40 spread in favor of music. While you're at it, add "entertainment value" as criteria on both GE sheets. That would solve the problem as you see it.

Which I honestly would not like. But I wouldn't mind if BD marched a drill more like their say.. 2003 or even 2007 show? Definitely not Cadets drill. And still effective. And a little more fun to watch, IMO...

Entertainment Value is good too! "Complexity of field drill is something All the top corps used to employ and every corps had their own style. No two corps looked the same. Their are many drill writers creative enough not to duplicate the Jeff Sacktig or Michael Gains.

Edited by boxingfred