Blue Devils on top...really?

It seems like some of the same people who b#####d moaned and groaned about narration and voice are suddenly silent.doh.gif

• Like 1

It seems like some of the same people who b#####d moaned and groaned about narration and voice are suddenly silent.doh.gif

The narration still bothers me...

• Like 1

The narration bugs me too... I love the show anyway.

Plus I'm a homer!

• Like 1

FWIW, what more is there to say? If someone didn't like narration in 2005, they're still likely to dislike it in 2012. I'm pleasantly surprised that some of the same people who b#####d moaned and groaned about narration and voice are suddenly silent: maybe we've at least found one thing that people are no longer beating into the ground.

(FWIW, to possibly make you feel better, some of the same people who have b#####d moaned and groaned about Blue Devils show designs constantly winning are still b#####ing moaning and groaning) :ph34r:

• Like 1

But did Cesario's intention of "Audience Engagement" include negative engagement or just positive?

yes

• Like 1

what is wrong with sub box ties? if two corps are acheiving that element of the sheet at an equivalent level they should tie. I would rather see two corps tie in a sub caption then having the numbers just be .1 higher for each corps. How realistic is that?

a judges job is to rank, then rate. in August i could possibly buy it. In early July, no way

• Like 1

As others have noted, "engagement" is not neutral: one can be positively or negatively engaged. Thus my question.

And really, like or dislike bears entirely on how a show is judged. Collectively, standards have been put in place that at their roots are based on someone's likes and dislikes. Maybe I like music to be out of tune, and intervals that are uneven, and marching that is out of step. DCI has decided otherwise, based on its members' likes (though naturally based on a history of lots of other people liking the same things). What you're saying is that the judges aren't allowed to have different likes and dislikes than what the rules call for.

actually, if you follow the criteria on the sheets, like or not like has nothing to do with it.

I have liked several shows over the years that had issues. I wouldn't have scored them high because I liked it. I didn't like BD 2009 or 2010, but I recognized what they were doing was good

• Like 1

All judging circuits fall prey to the questioning of many things..thats normal I guess.I hear it all the time about ALL including yours...its easy for people to pick out inconsistancies and the hot mess that many circuits can be but ralely see the good .A good judge anywhere judges not based on personal taste OR past affilation...does it happen that some dont...well on occasion probably...for the most part I would say no it doesnt......Most judges dont care whose 1st or 2nd

I care. the band that does the best job based on the criteria on my sheet is who should win that sheet, and I care enough to make sure they do.

which includes not sub box tying people in a six unit show

• Like 1