2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

Different corps, same old story. Been there myself, unfortunately. There's a lot more left unsaid than said in this letter, but I doubt it's anything we haven't heard a thousand times before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this director had only been at Teal since last year and no doubt faced an impossible situation. It's hard thing to come in as a brand new director and tell your members that they have to pay or there won't be a corps this summer. But it's gotta be done, otherwise you face disaster and humiliation. There's no sense trying to pass the buck.

Like the Revolution director's "statement" on DCP last season, this letter demonstrates why sometimes it's best to say nothing at all.

... wow.... my first time seeing this corps was last year in the Alamodome.... I was really looking forward to seeing again in the future (like hopefully in the Alamodome again this year)... well... best of luck to this corps, hopefully they will be back soon.

Although the letter is heartbreaking, she really never accepts said responsibility. The regret that is mentioned is in her following DCI's recommendations once they were notified of the situation, more deflection of blame and lack of accountability. If I were the parent of a kid who paid in full, I would not be satisfied with this. :thumbdown:

You know my respect for you, Mr. Truman. Your words are as usual, thoughtful and more often than not right on the money.

That being said, do you think that after a heartbreaking event like pulling a corps out of a tour, that ANY letter would fully satisfy those who suffered the most, the kids in the corps?

My answer (guess) is that there aren't any words would never be enough to satisfy everybody.

• Like 2

Like the Revolution director's "statement" on DCP last season, this letter demonstrates why sometimes it's best to say nothing at all.

To be fair, that letter wasn't written to us, the outsiders, the critics at the Drum Corps Planet Discussion Board.

• Like 7

First of all, my heart goes out to Teal Sound and the entire organization. I love the fact that there are many arm chair quarterbacks posting this and that, and blah blah blah.

What I will say and have said before eventually there will be fewer than 20 World Class Corps, because the member number keeps rising. When they hit 200, there goes Pioneer, Troopers, Cascades, Jersey Surf, Mandarins and Pacific Crest. This is exactly what is happening.

It is expensive to operate an organization at such. I have friends personally who went through an entire season of a drum corps that soon folded, and it was HELL! Why?? Because people didn't care. In this case, I have no doubt, the director cared and wanted the best for the kids.

Unfortunately in this day and age of technology, every thinks they know the right answer. People use poor judgement when making statements. I guess my question is, Why weren't the BIG 7 there to catch The Teal Sound?

If Drum Corps is about family and camaraderie where were the arms to catch them? I'm not saying pay their way out and such, but thanks to member corps mostly out of the top 12 reached out and picked up many of the members.

I hope to see Teal Sound come out stronger and better than ever next year. It can happen.

For all negative Nancy's it'd be great to keep the comments and finger pointing inside the four walls of your place.

Thanks.

• Like 5

[/b]

To be fair, that letter wasn't written to us, the outsiders, the critics at the Drum Corps Planet Discussion Board.

That's very true, and by no means do I think the two situations are similar. My point is that in a situation like this if you're unable to offer a full and honest explanation it may be better to say nothing. Half-arsing it can be more insulting than satisfying. Though as you say above there are probably no words that could be completely satisfying to the kids, parents, etc.

• Like 1

It is incumbent of every parent that is paying thousands of dollars to have their son or daughter march in a corps to check out that corps in advance. How many Teal parents went to rehearsal camps or board meetings and met with the corps director, board members,staff, other parents and volunteers? One can gain a ton of information by just doing that. Letting members march without paying dues etec.

For those Teal parents that did that I feel for you. For those that didn;t sending your son or daughter to Teal was not a good business decision.

Edited by dcifanforlife
  • Like 1

Unfortunately in this day and age of technology, every thinks they know the right answer. People use poor judgement when making statements. I guess my question is, Why weren't the BIG 7 there to catch The Teal Sound?

because the Big 7 would be happier if they were the Only 7.

• Like 7

The real question is why did Dan A, Hop, Arnold, Gibbs, Orwoll etc allow this to happen in the first place?

Your criticism of DCI's advice is valid, but I can tell you from 1st hand knowledge (while I was volunteering on tour this summer) that a few corps directors DID meet and spent a LOT of time discussing what help could be given at the time this all unfolded -- that's in addition to their regularly busy schedule. This Included one of the corps' bus companies sending a fleet within a few days out of goodwill and for the sake of the kids, not immediate compensation.

The whole situation was heartbreaking to see and hear about, for the members. I agree with the majority of you, that the responsibility for this is on the director/board, regardless of intentions. As a parent or member, I think the only way I'd see returning to the corps would be under new management and leadership.

I'm glad I got to see them this year.

Most shows are like a flower, blooming slowly over the season until their singular peak at Finals.

But Teal sound is the Orchid of 2012.

Blooming fast and beautiful, and gone quickly.

So fragile are we, huh?

:-)

I must compliment you on a wonderfully poignant statement. I saw their final performance for this year on the "Tube," and it was a pleasure to listen to it. I hope we see them again.