2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

In my opinion, the letter is well-intentioned, but as many have said leaves more questions than answers. It's also somewhat vague. For example, when few paying dues in full is mentioned, there are no percentages (we only had 20% of marchers paying dues, for example) and it's unclear as to whether in some cases dues were waived or just not paid. There's no excuse for not paying dues. If this is the case, it's stealing. It also shows a lack of commitment to the corps. My guess is that people either made payment plans for dues or dues were probably waived in too many cases. Waiving may be more common than people realize, especially for corps trying to get established. In some cases it's also a sound financial move. If a person can only pay, say $1,000 to march and the dues are $2,000, It is better to have a person paying a lower fee to be in the spot than to leave the spot empty and be out the $2,000 since fuel, food, salaries, etc. still have to be paid. As I write this, I am sure there are accountants and business managers who are about to say, "yes, but...," "yes, this happens, but you have to either budget for it or have the ability to make up for the loss." More established corps probably have donors they can rely on to make up for the loss. Teal Sound was still reaching.

Also, while I believe DCI should probably do more to help corps as far as management, recruiting, development (fundraising), and the like, this is more on an advisory capacity. It is neither DCI's nor others corps' responsibility to keep fledging corps afloat unless a true disaster occurs (e.g. a fire destroys a storage facility). Financial mismanagement would not be in this category.

Other corps have had to regroup. The Troopers did a few years back and BAC had serious financial woes in the 1980's. However both corps had certain advantages in this area. Both had well established names and excellent reputations. Both corps also had alums to assist in the efforts. Both corps also took a good look at what as needed to move forward and I'm sure had to make many unpopular decisions. Teal Sound does not have a long history and its alums are still starting out in life (the oldest alums would only be in their early 30's). BAC and Troopers could argue their values are the reason for their success which gives a proven track record. Teal Sound is known as being innovative. To a non-drum corps donor, this says we tried something new and it didn't work. If Teal Sound wants to reorganize, it's probably going to have to start from the beginning with a new name, new management, etc. unless they have a volunteer who has a proven track record at reversing negative publicity. People from Teal Sound can, and probably should be involved so the same mistakes do not happen again, (assuming that no criminal wrong doing has taken place), but it's probably going to have to be a new corps with a new name and a new mission.

To complaining parents (likely the ones who paid in full): "I'm never picking up the phone for you"

Why this line?

We need more businesspeople and not band people running our organizations.

Who wrote this? It wasn't the OP.

• Like 2

It is incumbent of every parent that is paying thousands of dollars to have their son or daughter march in a corps to check out that corps in advance. How many Teal parents went to rehearsal camps or board meetings and met with the corps director, board members,staff, other parents and volunteers? One can gain a ton of information by just doing that. Letting members march without paying dues etec.

How would a parent "check out in advance" whether other parents/members are going to pay their tour fees by the time the corps hits the road?

• Like 1

I know that there are a lot of rumours on facebook and some members parents are saying alot of untrue things and there are even people that think that they know what is going on with Teal, but they don't. I have never not answered my phone for any one of you and I will not start now.

Is this a personal blog post or professional response?

• Like 1

Showing my bias here but noticed the finger was pulled away from blaming the bus company.... *sigh* Hope corps can find a way to get the dues as needed and contracted. Only other option would be to pull the "You're not paid up... stay home" and deal with the holes on the field.

We both got blasted here on DCP; not necessarily on defending the Bus Company, but for merely presenting the option that the Bus Company might not be at fault, and people should wait to point the finger at the company to see who was actually at fault.

Edited by Stu

I think expecting the Big 7 Corps to bail another corps out of financial difficulties is not reasonable. The Big 7 aren't all operating on huge margins, raking in the bucks and hiring hookers for staff in the off-season, catering the party with lobster, filet mignon and the finest Columbian. If you look at the public financials of the big corps, they struggled over time, tend to be run cash-in-cash-out, and have a reserve intended for their own marching member.

It would take major realignment of priorities and a dictate from the DCI level that all corps have a reserve to bail out other corps. And they won't vote that. Requiring a reserve of X% of total operating budgets on a corps-by-corps level would be reasonable -- I don't think that's currently the case, but it'd be prudent.

• Like 3

I think expecting the Big 7 Corps to bail another corps out of financial difficulties is not reasonable. The Big 7 aren't all operating on huge margins, raking in the bucks and hiring hookers for staff in the off-season, catering the party with lobster, filet mignon and the finest Columbian. If you look at the public financials of the big corps, they struggled over time, tend to be run cash-in-cash-out, and have a reserve intended for their own marching member.

It would take major realignment of priorities and a dictate from the DCI level that all corps have a reserve to bail out other corps. And they won't vote that. Requiring a reserve of X% of total operating budgets on a corps-by-corps level would be reasonable -- I don't think that's currently the case, but it'd be prudent.

Please read post #35; it is not a financial bailout I discussed but the responsibility of collective governance and oversight.

We both got blasted here on DCP; not necessarily on defending the Bus Company, but for merely presenting the option that the Bus Company might not be at fault, and people should wait to point the finger at the company to see who was actually at fault.

Yep, unless you're involved in a smaller business hard to know how slim the profit margin/survival level might be and how having problems with a big contract can hurt. Still have no real idea but my "best guess" now is possible problem with payment schedule. With a contract that goes over a long period of time (like a tour) the payments might be made in installments, IOW the bus company might not have gotten the full amount before they pulled out. But again... just pulling a scenario out of my tukis...