How can smaller DCI corps survive?

After spending alot of time the last few weeks reading the ideas and discussions around the future of DCI, I decided to present a possible solution. Much of this idea is comprised of different suggestions I have seen by the members here at DCP. Although posts are sometimes a little emotionally charged, I think no one can argue the passion that every member here has for the activity.

This idea assumes that there are 12-15 current World Class Corps that seem to be using the current touring model with success. These top corps, especially the G7 + a few, seem to have the resources to attract the kids with not only talent, but also with the money to afford the expenses involved. They have a sound network of alumni, fund raising, and sponsorships that allow them to currently work with the relatively small amount of kids in their corps who need help financially. This is a good thing, and the experience they provide should have certain amount of exclusivity I suppose.

The part that has been exposed is the struggle that smaller corps have with attracting ANY members, and who are forced to balance putting pressure on members to pay their dues with fielding a competitive corps. It seems that these corps also tend to rely on membership payments as their main source of income. These corps have less alumni and general public support, so they do not have the funds needed to sponsor or give scholarships to the higher percentage of their members who may need it.

The argument has been made that the DCI collective is allowing the rich to get richer while the smaller corps get weaker. This should not be the mission of the organization.

In order to help reduce operating expenses, regionalization has been discussed. Corps need the opportunity to provide their members with some big time experience without having to mirror the big time tours. If the smaller corps try to scale back, they suffer by getting a lower level of performance and struggle to attract members. This snowballs into problems that many corps have faced recently with getting members who can or will pay their dues.

Another topic that has come up is a more structured approach to scholarships and sponsorships.

Another is the need for mentoring and partnering where full touring stronger corps can help smaller corps with good business practices.

All that said...here is the idea.

Create a second level in the World Class that has appeal to kids who want to march, have the talent to march, but just can't raise the funds. These corps need to be judged by the same sheets, and have sufficient enough numbers and talent to put a product on the field that allows for them to get a World Class experience.

To start, operating expenses MUST be lowered for these corps.

A second touring model, still A WORLD CLASS touring model, could be established. It will interact with the current DCI tour model that will continue for the top 12-15 corps. The current tour already provides from 1-5 shows in the various geographic areas between June and July. That enables these corps 1-5 opportunities to compete without touring in the first 6-7 weeks of the season. Those opportunities provide judging feedback, competition, and the ability to perform for the same crowds as the "big tour" for that period. They also will allow for these corps to earn prize monies just like everyone on the "big tour". When the tour moves on and no local competiton is available, these corps would hold local camps and practices, have local community performances, parades etc, all without having to travel. They prepare for their tour, which starts in Atlanta, and follows the big tour to Allentown and then on to Indy. A 3 week tour, same sheets, same crowds, same prize money. This SIGNIFICANTLY lowers operating costs per member.

I also believe that the "mini tour" corps should be partnered with a "big tour" corps. They have access to the best business practices and policies that make these corps successful. Perhaps they could even "pair up" for the last 3 weeks of the tour, sharing housing and food trucks, combining volunteers and other resources and equipment that allow for a "win/win".

These are only some things that would reduce operating costs for these corps. Once those are in place, there is still a need to attract membership, as these corps really need to field a corps of 100+

The attraction would be in financial assistance, both through expense reduction and sponsorships.

Expense reduction is covered above, financial aid is a different matter, and would be the key to getting the talent needed to make these corps attractive.

Why not require members that need help to "apply" by showing financial need. The current structure for most of college grants and loans requires the student and parents to apply through FAFSA, where the financial need is approved and funds are dispersed accordingly. Some members may qualify for %100, while some may be less, or none at all. This is where DCI steps in, establishing a scholarship fund to be dispersed, and administrating the need determination process. They would dedicate a percentage of all their revenue, INCLUDING TOC shows, solely for these corps and this fund. I believe there is a large number of drum corps people who would love to know that their donations specifically sponsored a kid the chance to march instead of a 2nd synth, new speakers, and props. The might even contribute more knowing the funds were going where they were needed the most. Once the need is approved, the corps would apply by individual member that they have secured, and funds are trasnsferred directly to the corps. There would have to be a set limit or range that insures equal dispersement of funds. Corps would be responsible for using their "allowance" to their best benefit. Maybe the "Big Brother" corps could provide a free ride for a couple members in the corps, or maybe even one or two in their own corps in a future season. Developing a low interest/no interest loan system would be another difficult venture, but certainly might also be a possibilty.

If a student and their family could get a reasonable DCI World Class experience, at a bargain price, the membership in these organizations would have to prosper, both in talent and in numbers. The accounts recievable from members would become less of a problem. Who knows, maybe a corps joining the "big tour" in Atlanta could make a strong competitive and fan friendly showing in Indy. That would certainly help recruiting!

Sorry this got so long, hopefully some of you fine folks actually read this far. I am sure there are alot of things I haven't considered, so I look forward to your input, and if you feel the need, all the flames you can fire. Anyone posting here on DCP should learn to wear an asbestos suit. It's all good by me.

• Like 1

I really enjoy this idea.

I'm not much of a business person so I'm sure I don't get all the ends and outs.

My only thing is that this would be huge! It would involve all the corps and be hard to execute. Thinking about it though, wasn't the creation of dci huge?

Nice idea, but the top 8 corps would never go for it. They now already consider the lower corps indirect freeloaders and don't want to contribute directly to them. You think the elite corps care about the lower corps? The tour of champions is only a temporary appeasement to prevent the top 8 from leaving dci now. I was told personally by a top 8 director last year that the top 8 directors want to pull out of dci. It's still on their to-do list. It's just a matter of when. A lot of people don't get that the dci elite corps' goal from the beginning was to get rid of the lower level corps. Don Pesceone, director of dci at the time, actually said it in a interview in about the late 70's. He said that dci considered the local circuits to be their biggest competition. Sounds nuts, but he actually said it. The interview had to be in drum corps world (or maybe drum corps news), because there was no internet back then. They had to wait to wipe out the local circuits until they had another source for their feeder corps. They gradually changed to another source for members. It's called the college bands and some elite high school bands. Why do you think the announcer at all current dci shows gives the butt kissing announcement to the band directors? They choose the college and high school bands, because they wouldn't be competition for dci, IN THE SUMMER. Their plan is almost complete. The regional organizations (dc east, dc midwest, dc west, etc) are gone. The local circuits are gone. The lower level corps are almost gone (Teal Sound and Racine are the latest to go). Do you think that the gradual increase to multi million dollar budgets to compete successfully was an random occurrence or was it to get rid of their remaining competition? It's similar to what happened to the auto industry in the 1900's. The little guys just couldn't compete. Dci, when the elite corps were running the board of directors (they aren't anymore), could have put in budget limits long ago. Did they? Next step is for the top 8 to pull out of dci completely and leave the remnants to hang on until the crowds and money gravitate to the top 8 shows only. Just like what dci did to the VFW and American Legion. They have their own exclusive shows and their own championship now (meadowlands). Don't they? There will only be about 8 corps left. Are the type of kids today who once were served by small local drum corps better off? So sad, we let it happen.

• Like 2

I was told personally by a top 8 director last year that the top 8 directors want to pull out of dci.

If that's the case, then, let me be the first to say to those directors if they might be reading . . .get out. As soon as possible, preferably by next season.

Establish your own circuit, your own branding and your own tour. Tour nationally, add woodwinds and everything else, only do domes and have your own championships.

Prove that your way is better . . .on your own, just like DCI had to in 1972.

Talk is cheap. Drop the bomb if you think you can do better. :wink:

This original post has excellent ideas. Some of the points are already practiced by some corps. I'm not sure the business model pairing would be the best idea in all cases. It's my understanding that some of the World Class corps that place below 15th and some of the Open Class have better models than some of the corps that place higher. Don't know if this is fact or hearsay, but it probably has some truth to it.

I also like the scholarship idea, though I might add that a corps has to be financially solvent in order for one of its members to get a scholarship or financial aid. Gives a bit of checks and balances. It may not be enough, however. Kids who I have talked to about marching claim they can raise the funds to march and enough spending money for the summer, it's the fees for school they need and without a summer job, they can't return to school. Though as I write this, I know Jersey Surf appeals to many college kids because they get a drum corps experience but can still earn some money during the summer.

Nice idea, but the top 8 corps would never go for it. They now already consider the lower corps indirect freeloaders and don't want to contribute directly to them. You think the elite corps care about the lower corps? The tour of champions is only a temporary appeasement to prevent the top 8 from leaving dci now. I was told personally by a top 8 director last year that the top 8 directors want to pull out of dci. It's still on their to-do list. It's just a matter of when. A lot of people don't get that the dci elite corps' goal from the beginning was to get rid of the lower level corps. Don Pesceone, director of dci at the time, actually said it in a interview in about the late 70's. He said that dci considered the local circuits to be their biggest competition. Sounds nuts, but he actually said it. The interview had to be in drum corps world (or maybe drum corps news), because there was no internet back then. They had to wait to wipe out the local circuits until they had another source for their feeder corps. They gradually changed to another source for members. It's called the college bands and some elite high school bands. Why do you think the announcer at all current dci shows gives the butt kissing announcement to the band directors? They choose the college and high school bands, because they wouldn't be competition for dci, IN THE SUMMER. Their plan is almost complete. The regional organizations (dc east, dc midwest, dc west, etc) are gone. The local circuits are gone. The lower level corps are almost gone (Teal Sound and Racine are the latest to go). Do you think that the gradual increase to multi million dollar budgets to compete successfully was an random occurrence or was it to get rid of their remaining competition? It's similar to what happened to the auto industry in the 1900's. The little guys just couldn't compete. Dci, when the elite corps were running the board of directors (they aren't anymore), could have put in budget limits long ago. Did they? Next step is for the top 8 to pull out of dci completely and leave the remnants to hang on until the crowds and money gravitate to the top 8 shows only. Just like what dci did to the VFW and American Legion. They have their own exclusive shows and their own championship now (meadowlands). Don't they? There will only be about 8 corps left. Are the type of kids today who once were served by small local drum corps better off? So sad, we let it happen.

If that's the case, then, let me be the first to say to those directors if they might be reading . . .get out. As soon as possible, preferably by next season.

Establish your own circuit, your own branding and your own tour. Tour nationally, add woodwinds and everything else, only do domes and have your own championships.

Prove that your way is better . . .on your own, just like DCI had to in 1972.

Talk is cheap. Drop the bomb if you think you can do better. :wink:

I agree that the architects of the G7(8) proposal have not given up on their vision to eliminate all but the elite. However, there are some major differences between the 1972 VFW days, where the Combine left to form a new circuit, and the DCI situation of today:

a) We are now living in an instant gratification culture, especially for the youth, so the idea of splitting off into a different organization and building credibility is a risk the G7(8) probably do not want to undertake (unless the G7 can secure a major sponsor whereas DCI has not been able to acquire);

b) The money it would take to do such a split, and make it instantly successful, is probably way greater than the G7(8) can handle (again unless the G7 can secure a major sponsor whereas DCI has not been able to acquire);

c) The DCI "branding" in of itself is still a powerful pull for the youth (as opposed to the VFW of yesteryear);

d) The show and touring infrastructure for DCI is well established;

e) The course of action for these architects to create the route of most likely success for their vision is still framed within an idea to eat away at the lesser corps within DCI and keep the DCI brand/infrastructure for just a few.

Do I think the G7(8) administration "directly" caused the demise of Teal and other corps? No. Do I think that their incremental compromise deals with DCI such as eliminating regional DCE, DCM, DCW, or moving to rather forced national touring system to be competitive, or the push to have the fans watch the big boys in the lot rather than watch the lower placing corps shows on the field were planned and purposeful calculated "indirect" causes for the demise of many corps? Yes.

Edited by Stu

Pacific Crest, the Academy and others already use this model.

Yes, exactly. Some think regional touring is the answer, I think less and shorter touring is the answer.

Nice idea, but the top 8 corps would never go for it. They now already consider the lower corps indirect freeloaders and don't want to contribute directly to them. You think the elite corps care about the lower corps? The tour of champions is only a temporary appeasement to prevent the top 8 from leaving dci now. I was told personally by a top 8 director last year that the top 8 directors want to pull out of dci. It's still on their to-do list.....

I too have heard from a WC Director, not a G7 Director, that this is still the plan. It sucks, but then again it might be a blessing. Imagine a world where the G7 leaves? I think the following years championships might suffer a bit attendance wise, but in a few years we would have the cream rising to the top and have some super interesting finals weeks. The G7 product would be awesome to behold, but it would not be drumcorps as we know it. Blast was fun, but I don't want to see Blast all summer long. To the G7, if you are going please go ASAP so we can move on. If you are staying stop being greedy and work to help DCI thrive. Do the right thing either way.

... Imagine a world where the G7 leaves? ... The G7 product would be awesome to behold, but it would not be drumcorps as we know it. Blast was fun, but I don't want to see Blast all summer long....

The way I would see this G7 split-off idea working would be to have it as shear for-profit entertainment and eliminate the judging competition. Why? Because imagine a touring show that combined Blast/Blue Man/Stomp. People from around the world would flock to that touring show. And that type of entertainment structure would potentially work for Cadets/Devils/SCV/Crown... However, add judging competition into the mix the top say (3) would become the new elite and the self-devouring would start all over again.