DCI HOUSTON - Hot, Humid, & Happening!

I was at this show. The crowd was NOT happy with BD's first place finish.

Flame away!

Biut thats the brilliance of their modus operandi that perhaps some are missing. The Blue Devils do an unconventional show this year based upon the concept of nonsense... and do so brilliantly. Dada audiences ( real audiences ) oftentimes did not like Dada shows either. Police would come to the Club Voltaire almost bi weekly to break up fights where anarchy and chaos would almost routinely take place among some in the audience and the musicians and other unconventional radical artists present there at Club Voltaire.. even to break up fights among member Dadaists at the nightclub itself on a few occasions. The fact that a Drum Corps audience of today would " not be happy " with the 1st place result on a show performance paying homage to the nonsense, confusion and choas of 1920 radical- anarchist artists in Zurich, Switzerland was most likely so noted by the judges present and as such it was rewarded on the General Effect caption sheets in particular. The GE caption judges were being asked to judge the theme of nonsense on the field. And lets face it, nobody puts wholesale nonsense on the field these days better than the Blue Devils. The whole show just exudes confusion, chaos, anarchy, and nonsense... and they execute it very well, imo. As such, I had them in 1st place last night too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I have to say, that this being my "home show", it's also my favorite of the year.

Even though during the day is was extremely humid and hot, it seemed to cool down in the evening a bit, although still very humid.

The show site, The Berry Center, is a great place to see drum corps. It's modern and well done. Parking is plentiful and free.

I have to say, that even though this crowd was by far a Cavaliers crowd, Blue Devils won the show outright. There is simply just an incredible amount of design and execution that surpasses all others. So much going on. And in the pit, there's this MONSTER metal junk "tree", which pit people stand to the side and hit it with a huge sledge hammer, similar to what you'd see at a county fair, in a strongman contest. Just amazing! Guard is the best! Entire concept is just phenominal!

Cavaliers - well, it just seemed "junky". I thought the amplification and narration was turned on way too loud. The guard is a cross between, George Michael and West Hollywood attitude. Fun, I guess! I like their opening set with the entire corps walking in mass, in a diagonal to the 50. But there's just alot of random walking around, not marching. Where else can you see Andy Warhol in drum corps?

Carolina Crown - kudos to your brass ensemble performance in the stands during intermission!

SCV - congratulations on 1st place in drums! Their closing set has been reworked! Strains of "Music of the Night" have been worked into the closer, and the silent ending is beautiful with the SCV star!

• Like 1

I usually don't complain about scores, and give judges the benefit of the doubt.

But what on earth show was the visual proficiency judge watching????!!!!

You are not alone in your thinking. I used to live near Fleming Island, FL (where Bruce is from) and his reputation of wtf logic (best way I can put it) in his scoring is well known throughout the area. Its unfortunate that a current DCI judge isn't even invited to show up at local hs rehearsals to give input/be a clinician. I don't mean to single him out, but I'm curious if this is the case with other judges throughout the country.

• Like 2

I haven't been able to read every comment yet, but did Cavaliers add in their new ending in Houston, or is that coming in San Antonio?

If they did put in the new ending in Houston, what is different now?

Also, can someone enlighten me about the new SCV ending that is being widely praised? Thank you.

Agreed. The only thing that could derail them is the judging community all of a sudden deciding that the show really isn't all that much from a design standpoint. But they've had their chance to make that statement, and none of them are willing to do it. Performance is certainly not going to be an issue for BD moving through the next few weeks.

I've decided that BD's use of the recorded statement saying that "modern art relies on irony" is there so that if anyone points out that there IS no irony in the show, they can say "see? That's ironic!" :cool:

I wish more people understood that championships are won in January, and that the members on the field have very, very little control over who wins.

I wish the system didn't allow championships to be won in January.

• Like 1

I usually don't complain about scores, and give judges the benefit of the doubt.

But what on earth show was the visual proficiency judge watching????!!!!

to paraphrase Sean Connery in the movie "The Rock" winners go home and "celebrate"; losers complain about the judging.

To each his own, but so far the judging has been pretty consistently in favor of BD.

• Like 2

I wish more people understood that championships are won in January, and that the members on the field have very, very little control over who wins.

I wish the system didn't allow championships to be won in January.

Actually, it's decided between the 3rd week of August and Open House.

You are not alone in your thinking. I used to live near Fleming Island, FL (where Bruce is from) and his reputation of wtf logic (best way I can put it) in his scoring is well known throughout the area. Its unfortunate that a current DCI judge isn't even invited to show up at local hs rehearsals to give input/be a clinician. I don't mean to single him out, but I'm curious if this is the case with other judges throughout the country.

Another attempt Mike with no reply. Time to start a new topic and finally get your answer, which some of us also would like to know.