Hot, Hot, Hotlanta

I removed everything after that because it wasn't germane to the discussion.

What people need to understand is that the sheets were changed to reward audience engagement. There are many different types of audience engagement, and you can engage the audience without making them "throw babies". Some great examples of this from world of film are Schindler's List, The Piano, Philadelphia, and many, many others. Entertaining? No. Engaging? Absolutely.

Not every show needs to be the same kind of engagement.

Now, we can argue over whether DCI should have included entertainment value on the sheets (I'd be in favor of it), but you cannot insert something that isn't there.

You speak as though you have a personal understanding of the proper interpretation of the words. Were you involved in the process of changing the sheets? Because, is it possible that when "engagement" was added, the INTENT was, indeed, to measure audience entertainment? Using your definition, if an audience member watches the show, they're engaged. They may be saying "WTF was that, that sucked!" but they're engaged, by your definition. I'm thinking, that may not be what the intention was. But I don't know because I wasn't involved in the process that came up with the revised sheets. Are you speaking from knowledge of the change, or are you postulating too?

mash ups could be a way around royalties

Edited by blueorginal
  • Like 2

anyone else's feed freaking out??

anyone else's feed freaking out??

yes...I have to hit replay from time to time.

You speak as though you have a personal understanding of the proper interpretation of the words. Were you involved in the process of changing the sheets? Because, is it possible that when "engagement" was added, the INTENT was, indeed, to measure audience entertainment? Using your definition, if an audience member watches the show, they're engaged. They may be saying "WTF was that, that sucked!" but they're engaged, by your definition. I'm thinking, that may not be what the intention was. But I don't know because I wasn't involved in the process that came up with the revised sheets. Are you speaking from knowledge of the change, or are you postulating too?

Kinda both. I was teaching when this stuff was first being discussed, and have had long discussions with folks who where in the room when the new sheets were approved. The word 'entertainment' and variations of it were left off the sheets intentionally. You and I may not agree, and I suspect there will be some modification in the future, but it is what it is. Not all art is the same, and while you can "judge" it subjectively, you'd be placing some pretty harsh restrictions on corps if you required them all to design shows that engage the same way.

Edited by Kamarag

my feed doesn't seem to like the red seats