I Loved Blue Devils

First post. Joined today. The cynic in me would think this was written by a BD staff member.

Good thing I keep my cynicism repressed.

None the less, great post! I love the Blue Devils show and I appreciate someone who can articulate their thoughts so well. I will be going back to view again with a fresh perspective. Thanks for pointing out some of the drill intricacies. I knew there was more there than meets the eye.

• Like 1

I don't particularly "like" the show. [...] But I think it's an incredibly important show, maybe the most since Barber/Bartok in '93, because I think we're going to look back and say "that's where it started."

If this is correct, then those who don't share fan guy's (finely expressed) views on the show should be bothered indeed!

Whats the idea of ending the show quietly with no real resolution?

Just because it goes against convention?

It would seem so. It is a show based on an art form built on defying convention, so it's logical they would play against the "standard" ending.

Those few paragraphs eloquently sum up all the "effect from drill" moments in BD's show (although IMO most of it can best be described as "staging" not drill).

Here's a fun thought experiment for DCP readers.

Try to describe Crown's visual program using the same verbose, flowery prose :-) Be sure to incude all the simultaneous events and layered responsibilities for the performers.

(see you next season)

• Like 2

Try to describe Crown's visual program using the same verbose, flowery prose :-) Be sure to incude all the simultaneous events and layered responsibilities for the performers.

You probably could, but why would you? It's a design masterpiece of simplicity. What you see is what you get. It's one of the reasons I really like it. Please don't confuse simplicity with demand, like a few in the other thread have (I know corpsband won't, but others will). Crown has a very demanding show. It's just not a complicated one.

Of course, I would say the same thing about Cadets, yet they released a libretto for the judges today :)

The Blue Devils this year are not drum corps as we know it because their show reinvents drum corps. The experience for me is like reading a new author that captures thoughts and emotions that you've experienced before independently only to have it rendered perfectly in a text. Or like viewing a radical painting that brings you to an emotional context that you've felt before, maybe in a dream, but it's manifest now in reality through this work of art. I've never imagined drum corps could be like this, but I'm sure glad the Blue Devils have.

So Reinventing drum corps means what?

-Having an intellectual theme?

-Doing Macro and micro form manipulations?

-The Repertoire?

-The programing?

-The symbolism?

-The voice overs?

It doesn't seem to me that this show reinvents drum corps anymore than 2010, 2009, or 2007. I'd say those shows did more than this show...

The Repetoire is fairly accessible, The drill isn't anything different than what I would expect from Blue Devils now. Nothing to me stands out as being different from what Blue Devils would normally program into a show... and yet people are responding to THIS show differently...

You probably could, but why would you? It's a design masterpiece of simplicity. What you see is what you get. It's one of the reasons I really like it. Please don't confuse simplicity with demand, like a few in the other thread have (I know corpsband won't, but others will). Crown has a very demanding show. It's just not a complicated one.

Of course, I would say the same thing about Cadets, yet they released a libretto for the judges today :)

Crown has an uncomplicated demanding show... and BD has a complicated show...

By "complicated" do you mean having more than 1 idea on the field at a time? Because I'm not sure that just because multiple ideas, seemingly disjointed, that are appearing together constitutes complexity. Care to elaborate?

Crown has an uncomplicated demanding show... and BD has a complicated show...

By "complicated" do you mean having more than 1 idea on the field at a time? Because I'm not sure that just because multiple ideas, seemingly disjointed, that are appearing together constitutes complexity. Care to elaborate?

Crown has some areas of multiple focus, but that's not really what I mean. When you watch (and listen, obviously) Crown there's nothing you have to figure out to better enjoy the program. It's a classic example of what you see is what you get. There's nothing that makes you want to see it again beyond pure enjoyment (when you watch more complex shows you see new stuff each time, and may see the whole thing differently). That doesn't mean you can't find new stuff with repeated viewings of Crown, but it's not designed for you to do so.

• Like 1

Crown has some areas of multiple focus, but that's not really what I mean. When you watch (and listen, obviously) Crown there's nothing you have to figure out to better enjoy the program. It's a classic example of what you see is what you get. There's nothing that makes you want to see it again beyond pure enjoyment (when you watch more complex shows you see new stuff each time, and may see the whole thing differently). That doesn't mean you can't find new stuff with repeated viewings of Crown, but it's not designed for you to do so.

And do you think that is a positive or negative virtue in a drum corps show?