Little to No Love for Christmas Music

To preface: not a Cadets person, though I have enjoyed a number of their programs over the years.

In regards to 12.25, there are a few moments of Jingle Bells that don't float my boat, but overall the show has made feel very differently about it than I did when it was announced. The first time I witnessed "Do You Hear What I Hear?", I was taken to earlier days, at my parents' house, staring out the window at the snow swirling around the Austrian pine... I find it very moving. It really is one of my favorite moments of this season.

How competitive will it be? I don't really care, to be honest. More important to me is that the Cadets have moved me with this show, and evoked images that I didn't think a drum corps could.

Edited by PunkRawkBandGeek
  • Like 2

except for jingle bells, I like it

It's pretty funny, and I'm surprised no one has pointed out, that the winner of last year's DCE (Drum Corps Europe) competition, "The Company", had much of their show revolve around Christmas tunes. Including a little jazz tune, with Christmas presents and all.

For whatever it's worth...

• Like 1

The samples are pretty lame, and slap a "half price sale" tag on what is otherwise, a reasonably well-designed total package.

The only one that would ever be worth the chase is if they followed a rifle feature with "you'll shoot your eye out."

What made Cavaliers '91 show work (for me) was that the pieces were taken OUT of their usual context, exploring the music as music, rather than being part of a larger holiday idea. Cadets' approach is a little too on-the-nose for my taste, but what they hell, it's being played well, and there's no question but that people can follow it, so good on 'em.

• Like 2

I much prefer 12.25 to the Dadaistic mayhem of the Blue Devils' show.

• Like 5

This is a beautiful show, well staged and orchestrated....and it might squeak into the top 3, depending on the dark horse (PR). However, the winners in recent years tend to be based on Conflict or Chaos......maybe Easter would have been a better choice. :rolleyes:

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 3