Little to No Love for Christmas Music

no i just cant stand christmas music. apparently people give negatives for peoples opinions on taste of music. Christmas time i stay away from malls and stores so i dont have to hear the music. IMO Christmas music just as bad as country (i said in my opinion do i still get negative?)

Who cares? Just say what you want to say. I don't understand why those negatives/positives are on this forum anyway.

You play some of the MOST recognizable music in the world and you get hate.

That’s a common fallacy I see pushed in regards to this show, recognizable doesn’t mean good. Just because we all recognize Mary had a Little Lamb doesn’t mean we want to hear it or see it in a d/c show. There are a lot of songs and jingles that I recognize and dislike

BUT

Cadets do a great job with this show and the music, it’s just not my thing. I enjoy and appreciate what they are doing but this show will not get a lot of replay or love from me

My friend that hates all things cheese, loved this show – it’s his second favorite of the year and that surprised me….and him too…so they do have their converts..so props :w00t: to Cadets

Hi, hater of Christmas music here.

But it's honestly not so much that I dislike it for its musical qualities as much as I hate how Christmas music is incessantly shoved down my throat from Thanksgiving until New Year's. And yes, I'm fully aware that the kind you hear non-stop during those months is hardly the best Christmas music out there (In fact, it's typically the ABSOLUTE WORST.) I have yet to see the Cadets show, (it could well be awesome, and I might love it, I'm trying very hard not to discount it just because of the musical genre,) but as someone who has worked retail for a number of holiday seasons, it's hard for me not to instinctively cringe when I hear the words "Christmas Music." I've just become conditioned that way...

Hi, hater of Christmas music here.

But it's honestly not so much that I dislike it for its musical qualities as much as I hate how Christmas music is incessantly shoved down my throat from Thanksgiving until New Year's. And yes, I'm fully aware that the kind you hear non-stop during those months is hardly the best Christmas music out there (In fact, it's typically the ABSOLUTE WORST.) I have yet to see the Cadets show, (it could well be awesome, and I might love it, I'm trying very hard not to discount it just because of the musical genre,) but as someone who has worked retail for a number of holiday seasons, it's hard for me not to instinctively cringe when I hear the words "Christmas Music." I've just become conditioned that way...

I feel your pain, but IMHO Carol of the Bells is a great piece of music.

This is a beautiful show, well staged and orchestrated....and it might squeak into the top 3, depending on the dark horse (PR). However, the winners in recent years tend to be based on Conflict or Chaos......maybe Easter would have been a better choice. :rolleyes:
um...Christmas can bring about conflict and chaos. I mean...where's the mall scene? No farkus incident yet? No squirrel running up the Xmas tree chased by a dog? Please, tons of Xmas movie insanity to use to create both. Now, they of course have to put it in there and make it not suck, but that's half the battle :tongue: <BR><BR>I will be honest. I worked retail for 8 years. I grew to hate Christmas. It's growing back the other way, and I was hesitant when I saw this anounced. I still wish COTB was more Trans Siberian rock out, and Jingle bells in it's current form feels forced, but the show's not bad. they just have to avoid serious cheese Edited by Jeff Ream

um...Christmas can bring about conflict and chaos.

I mean...where's the mall scene? No farkus incident yet? No squirrel running up the Xmas tree chased by a dog?

Please, tons of Xmas movie insanity to use to create both.

Now, they of course have to put it in there and make it not suck, but that's half the battle

:tongue:

You know Jeff, you're absolutely right....I forgot about the most painful and obvious Conflict and Chaos about Christmas...................................Christmas dinner with the relatives!!! :w00t:

BTW, first Christmas with the first youngin' is the best of all time!!

You know Jeff, you're absolutely right....I forgot about the most painful and obvious Conflict and Chaos about Christmas...................................Christmas dinner with the relatives!!! :w00t:

There is a wonderful piece of music from Carrington which is titled (or subtitled - can't remember) called "The Infinite Complexities of Christmas". Could make a great ballad, IMO, and could have stayed with the Christmas theme without the mall-muzak factor.

we'll see about thatfirst Christmas. too little to destroy wrapping paper, and big enough to puke all over the feast

:tongue:

The version of Carol they're playing is GREAT, IMO. Not at all like a children's choir that we've heard in movies or orchestral concerts. I love how they use the field, and the several different moods it creates, especially when they're done wandering the field and get soft and do some interesting foot work and marching (some half-time, some not, switching out), and then when the big hit comes.

The early parts of Jingle have a bit of a synchopation that's nice; the drum feature I don't really like, musically and visually; Dradle gives Jingle a break and is fun, especially the soloists; when Jingle comes back and throws down, it's pretty satisfying, though I wish the guard didn't have to wander left field for the props.

I don't quite understand George's discussion the other day of the difficulties of restaging the ballad, and how he kept emphasizing that the guard is the focus, not the brass. Well, the brass is focusing the attention on the guard by facing the endzone, so if the guard could get further towards the center, then we can get brass in our face AND still have the guard the focus (since they're all that's going on visually). But, he mentioned some logistics of where the silks are hidden and all that. In any event, I still think it's a great moment in the show, it's just not staged like a typical drum corps ballad impact (like last year -- everyone spread all over the field, big silk tosses and brass at F).

Given how quickly George yanked the "left hase" Geoffrey stuff after a couple nights, and how sparing and tasteful the samples were last year (IMO), I have reasonable confidence that whatever samples he adds will work themselves out and not be too bad. I still don't think he needs any of it. The mood changes are obvious musically and visually, especially if parts of the guard work are changing going into the closer, it's more obvious that the ramps become steeples, etc.

So...am I one of a very few who was interested to see what the Cadets would do with a Christmas themed show in 2012? When the Cadets first started releasing hints (info) about doing a Christmas show in 2012.....there was so much negativity and uncertainty and speculation about performing a Christmas themed show. Why?

Also....if i read it once this season...I read it dozens of times.....'you know....i wasn't at all thrilled about this show idea...but the arrangements are really good...and it is far different (better)than i was expecting.

The other item is......what do people have against Christmas music?

I think Christmas music is now so overplayed for such a long time leading up to the holiday that it's tiresome to hear it other times of year. Also, though the tunes themselves are great, many recordings tend to be overwrought and overdone. So there's a couple of negative associations right off the bat.

That said, I thought it was a good idea when they announced it, and I really like the music they chose and their arrangements. The visuals are a little disappointing--I'm okay with the snowflake sets, but there's a LOT of very literal sets, and the ramps, what?

Also, I miss the Cadets' traditional unis.

Sorry, this turned into a general review...