Little to No Love for Christmas Music

It's pretty funny, and I'm surprised no one has pointed out, that the winner of last year's DCE (Drum Corps Europe) competition, "The Company", had much of their show revolve around Christmas tunes. Including a little jazz tune, with Christmas presents and all.

For whatever it's worth...

That was posted before the season started!

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151616&view=findpost&p=3145353

Edited by corpsband

I'm not crazy about Christmas music when it's not close to Christmas, but there are some songs I really like any time of year (Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas; Chrismas Song; O Holy Night...).

I think this show is reasonably well designed. I think Carol as a package is the highlight. When they get it clean, the ending beginning with Gloria will also be fantastic. The music of DYHWIH is gorgeous, but the staging is odd. I could take or leave Jingle, and last weekend it still just doesn't pop visually.

You play some of the MOST recognizable music in the world and you get hate.

You play some of the most incoherent stuff ever put on a field (BD) and you get hate.

And people wonder why this activity is going downhill. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

You play some of the MOST recognizable music in the world and you get hate.

You play some of the most incoherent stuff ever put on a field (BD) and you get hate.

And people wonder why this activity is going downhill. :rolleyes:

Conversely, some love BD and Cadets. It was ever thus.

• Like 1

Expect more movie quotes and samples

This statement is one of the reasons I'm starting to get disappointed with this show. I liked this show when it first came out, but as someone on here said earlier in the season, it has the potential to be "cheesed" up. And in my opinion, that is exactly what is starting to happen. It seems to me this show is running out of ideas so they're throwing whatever they can into it to make it better. After last year's show, I was hoping we would have more of THAT Cadets and more challenging music and drill that made me feel like they were robots like I used to feel when I marched. Granted, I know the history of what happens to Cadets a year after they win, but still. It is a tough pill for me to swallow when I am constantly comparing Crown to Cadets and I'm loving Crown this year more than I love my favorite corps.

I'm not trying to sound negative about their show this year, but I just feel like they are a lot better than what this show is making them out to be. Just my opinion. :sad:

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

......maybe Easter would have been a better choice. :rolleyes:

I can already envision the guard decked out as Elmer might say: " those silly wabbits "

This is a beautiful show, well staged and orchestrated....and it might squeak into the top 3, depending on the dark horse (PR). However, the winners in recent years tend to be based on Conflict or Chaos......maybe Easter would have been a better choice. :rolleyes:

Plus, they could've dusted off the costume from '06 for use!

• Like 2

This statement is one of the reasons I'm starting to get disappointed with this show. I liked this show when it first came out, but as someone on here said earlier in the season, it has the potential to be "cheesed" up. And in my opinion, that is exactly what is starting to happen. It seems to

Exactly my worry too :-( Think I said that early on in the season. Too easy to throw bad ideas into a christmas show. Good thing is the added voiceover they're trying can be yanked right back out if it doesn't work. Did you read the logic? We're adding more voice so when the voice enters it's not so jarring ? I guess there's some sort of logic in that but... :doh: Anyway still a lot of super genius brain power in the design closet. Maybe they'll hit on something...

• Like 1

I like the show much more musically than visually. They've stalled, to a point, by marrying themselves to a couple of ideas that haven't really had maximum effect (Jingle Bells and Ballad), and seem to be unwilling to extensively rethink them. It is now getting rather late to do that, so they keep rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic in these sections without fixing the leak in the boat.

The guard is nearly in the end zone for most of the ballad, and while modern dance can be effective, it loses a lot of that if it is staged 70 yards from most of the audience.

If only they pulled out flags from behind those boxes and moved through the rest of the corps, even for just the last third of the song, it would do wonders for GE. I don't expect that to happen though, so we'll most likely be seeing more frosting added in the way of voice or whatever, and them really cleaning the execution to try and maintain their current standing.