So Sad

I'd like to have a dollar for every time a Corps played a song in their show that was composed over 50 years ago. The " Classics " are still great. And the Music Dept's still like the " Classical Composers " and the " Classical Music " that originated 100, 200, 300, or more years ago. MostDrum Corps show designers and brass arrangers too like " the old stuff " from this field of music.

The instrumentation utilized in the " Classical " Symphony Orchestra has not changed fundamentally in over 100 years. God help anyone that suggests an evolutionary " change " with that configuration. Hell no. They'd cut your hands off, disembowel you, and burn you at the stake for such heresy in this Classical Music field for trying to mess with that field that has not changed fundamentally in centuries.

The Symphony patrons ( both old and young alike ) would have a coronary if some modern conductor decided to alter and change the makeup of the symphony orchestra instrumentation for the playing before them of the composition that was created by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Ravel, etc many many moons ago.

Edited by BRASSO

I'd like to have a dollar for every time a Corps played a song in their show that was composed over 50 years ago. The " Classics " are still great. And the Music Dept's still like the " Classical Composers " and the " Classical Music " that originated 10, 200, 300, 400 years ago. Drum Corps show designers and brass arrangers too.

The instrumentation utilized in the " Classical " Symphony Orchestra has not changed fundamentally in over 100 years. God help anyone that suggests an evolutionary " change " with that configuration.

The Symphony patrons would have a coronary if some modern conductor decided to alter and change the make up of the symphony orchestra instrumentation for the playing before them of the composition that was created by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Ravel, etc many many moons ago.

I don't think changing the make up of a symphony orchestra means changing the arrangements of classical pieces! It's not like if we added a low-bass synth to Beethoven's 5th that suddenly people will flock to hear it...

Plus film scores already use a number of different classical, new age, and electronic instruments (see Hanz Zimmer) so the combination isn't anything new and already exists.

We had ties for 1st place in 1996, 1999 and 2000.

It's not possible to have a tie for 1st and 2nd in the same year, as the tie for 1st would mean the next placement down would be 3rd.

We had a tie for 2nd in 2001, a tie for 4th in 1990, for 5th in 2002, for 7th in 1987 and 1994, and for 8th in 1977 and 1996.

OK The years I was thinking of then were 99-01. I didn't mean the ties were in the same year though hahaha! Ok, I do remember in 2000 wondering if a tie would become an annual thing hahahaha!

Edited by maestro!

Believe it!

It's not "sad", it's just not your activity any more.

Regiment has been playing classical shows since the 1970's; they've been bridesmaids many times over the years, but only won the title twice . . .the first in 1996.

I've never heard a note of "Dreams" before Crown played it this year. I still dug it because it was fast, loud and amazing . . .exactly what drum corps is to me, "symphonic" or not.

Furthermore, Madison "plays the game" as much as anyone . . .resurgence these past few years or not.

If you're going to accuse the Blue Devils of playing "musical melange", then this years Scouts show is a prime example of it as well (note: I like Madison's program this year).

Drum corps has changed, yes . . .but it's still loud, fast and big. The visceral thrill still exists.

Don't blame the idiom when you've refused to try to even meet it halfway. :wink:

BRAVO! Well stated.

For some folks I completely understand that this activity may not be to your liking anymore. The activity cannot cater to just one person's wishes and desires. It caters to a plethora of opinions, desires, sensibilities, etc. It must also take into account the marching members and their interests, their culture, their passions and fads. It will always change. Some of those will be good, some will be bad. We will all debate that change (as we should), but in the end none of us will get everything we want. And why should we? If I get all that I want, then the next guy perhaps gets less of what he wants. Pleasing everyone in the stands is not easy and rarely done. Even the popular Madison Scouts have their detractors this year.

• Like 2

I'm sure you don't listen to Romantic and Classical music and say that all that "sounds the same". And yet its older than Drum Corps. Why is that? It doesn't have anything to do you with you being a newbie, etc. It just has to do with how often you listen to it.

If you've listened to pre-1982 drum corps a lot it won't sound the same to you.

Now, people of our generation have said that Pop-music all sounds the same (and it very may be exactly the same 4 - 6 chords :ph34r: ) but there are distinct differences if you hear it enough.

Even people who watch BD more than once (or more than 10 times) can finally say ohhhh I love that! But it takes the 10th time viewing.

So, for the OP. It is Sad that after following the activity and coming back that what he had grown so accustomed to hearing is now gone.... Is that a problem for the activity? Maybe. But it's just the problem with art and music. Corps is no different.

Good point! I didn't think of that when I posted my statement. Musically, it is different as you say. Though visually, I literally do see the same thing. Symmetrical drill all over the place. Personally, if I don't find a show visually exciting, it's hard for me to get into the show. I need both elements when it comes to drum corps. I'm sure that it's different for everyone.

Blue Coat hasn't lost its identity. It still provides superior service in the field if Internet security. I think DCP is rather secure as well.

Now, if you're talking about the drum corps out of Canton, Ohio, folks who have been around these parts for more than one post know spelling their name as two words is my ultimate pet peeve. But I guess you already know that, since you've identified with their identity for so long.

In which case, I apologize.

Or not. Your mileage may vary.

beat you to your favorite correctiontongue.gif

BRAVO! Well stated.

For some folks I completely understand that this activity may not be to your liking anymore. The activity cannot cater to just one person's wishes and desires. It caters to a plethora of opinions, desires, sensibilities, etc. It must also take into account the marching members and their interests, their culture, their passions and fads. It will always change. Some of those will be good, some will be bad. We will all debate that change (as we should), but in the end none of us will get everything we want. And why should we? If I get all that I want, then the next guy perhaps gets less of what he wants. Pleasing everyone in the stands is not easy and rarely done. Even the popular Madison Scouts have their detractors this year.

The good news here is that the vast majority of detractors of modern Drum Corps shows have left and they're not around to complain anymore... and they're not coming back either. So, as the saying goes, out of sight, out of mind. Both for them as well the Corps show designers of today. The folks that clammored for sweeping show changes won. The war's over. It just a matter now of everyone coming to grips with the BD, and their shows, now being the standard bearer of the activity. Most of the newer fans are on board, but some are scratching their heads still and asking themselves if this the best show out there and if this is what will advance the activity and bring new fans into the activitity to replace the thousands upon thousands that simply threw up their hands and left for good.

I am a new drum corps fan because my son is of age to participate and it is his passion. It is becoming mine too! I have become quite obsessed with it. And being a knowledgeable music person, I LOVE what is happening today. Love the classical music. Last thing I want to hear is a bunch of over done pop out there. I also like hearing original music. I also love the dance elements that have become popular. I think the whole of it is a sensory bonanza. I also have been around long enough to know that things always swing back. At some point, there will be backlash and a return to old school focus on drill... until things change again. Personally, Phantom's show makes me weep. It's stunningly beautiful. And incidentally, they are my favorite corps. I love their sound, their look, their drill, their design... all of it.

• Like 4

BRAVO! Well stated.

Even the popular Madison Scouts have their detractors this year.

Sure, I understand the point you're making this is like saying purified drinking water " has its detractors this year "

Edited by BRASSO