Forte ends season early

Blame DCI for killing off all of the smaller local regional circuits, thus making the activity too national & too expensive for most drum corps. In 10 years there may not be enough drum corps for finals. Were getting pretty close now. Think about that.

Instead of worrying about synths, amps, vocals, & the continuing ruination of drum corps, DCI better start taking action to change this activity fast.

While I see the need for a revival of the DCI Regional first-tour National second-tour system, the demise of Forte and Teal is not the fault of DCI axing the regional system. Both of these corps were in real bad financial trouble prior to even leaving home for the first show; in fact, if you decipher what happened to them in failing to secure the revenue you would discover that they would have had the same demise even if they were just on a regional only tour! Their directors are at fault for hitting the road in such financial shape; plain and simple. If DCI is to be accountable for something, it would be in not checking on the financial solvency of "all" corps at the end of May each season prior to give the thumbs up for any corps to hit the road.

• Like 1

To be fair, Forte, Teal, and Racine have very little voice in DCI's decisions about what the tour model should be. If they questioned or opposed the tour model, what difference would that have made? Yes, DCI is the corps, but it's also a separate entity. To Forte, DCI is the 50 other institutions plus the inertia of the status quo. Not only that, but DCI *is* a separate institution. DCI consists of people with lots of experience, a big-picture vantage point, connections to decision-makers in all the corps, and incentives to think about the health of DCI as a whole versus the health of individual corps. Yes, at the next board meeting the corps could change everything, but in the meantime, if Dan Acheson et al see something is going majorly wrong (and again, DCI are the ones who most likely know the most details overall about the reasons for *all* of these shutdowns), they have the power to make noise, cajole, release news, release statistics, they have lots of tools at their disposal.

As for saying the corps can only blame themselves, well, that sentiment will be cold comfort if a significant number of them fall apart in the next few years.

what difference does the dci model make...these corps were barley on a tour...1 only 5 or 6 days....so no matter what the model was these corps were destined to fail......5 days...maybe staying home with no trip was the best thing...DCI or a model had nothing to do with these corps

what on Gods sweet earth is going on?

It's not just drum corps. It's everything everywhere. The economy is in shambles. Fule and oil costs are ridunkulous. Unemployment is at an all time high. It doesn't matter what it is, life just kind of sucks in this country right now. I mean, lets just be real about it. Drum corps is just feeling the affects of what's going on in real life. Actually, if you think about it, it's pretty amazing that the activity is still going considering just how bad things are in this country fincancially right now. I'm amazed that we've only lost 3 or so corps this year and am only hoping that the real world struggles of our economic crisis doesn't catch up even further with the drum corps activity in 2013. Though on the flip end of that, I also struggle with being torn on whether or not it is very wise and responsible decision for anyone to participate in this very EXPENSIVE activity given the mess this country is in financially. Especially for the kids who's time might be better spent investing in something that could get them further ahead in life financially and set their future families up for success. Though please don't shoot me for saying that. I did preface that last statement by saying that I was "torn". I do also see the edcucational and work ethic value in kids being involved in drum corps.

Regardless, times are tough. Definitely sad to see another corps not finish their season. It is heartbreaking. Here's to hoping for a great rest of the season and a great 2012 DCI World Championships. We never know if it might be the last one ever. So, lets enjoy it (and I'll now take my doomsday cap off).

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

It's not just drum corps. It's everything everywhere. The economy is in shambles. Fule and oil costs are ridunkulous. Unemployment is at an all time high. It doesn't matter what it is, life just kind of sucks in this country right now. I mean, lets just be real about it. Drum corps is just feeling the affects of what's going on in real life. Actually, if you think about it, it's pretty amazing that the activity is still going considering just how bad things are in this country fincancially right now. I'm amazed that we've only lost 3 or so corps this year and am only hoping that the real world struggles of our economic crisis doesn't catch up even further with the drum corps activity in 2013. Though on the flip end of that, I also struggle with being torn on whether or not it is very wise and responsible decision for anyone to participate in this very EXPENSIVE activity given the mess this country is in financially. Especially for the kids who's time might be better spent investing in something that could get them further ahead in life financially and set their future families up for success. Though please don't shoot me for saying that. I did preface that last statement by saying that I was "torn". I do also see the edcucational and work ethic value in kids being involved in drum corps.

Regardless, times are tough. Definitely sad to see another corps not finish their season. It is heartbreaking. Here's to hoping for a great rest of the season and a great 2012 DCI World Championships. We never know if it might be the last one ever. So, lets enjoy it (and I'll now take my doomsday cap off).

you are 100 % right about the times..and to add THAT is the reason so many corps since the 70s have gone...it only gets worse for the activity as time goes on and on top of all of that the activity has changed as well as the member it serves.

Your last statement although many will disagree does have merit and on another level does make sense and I suppose does have to be a personal choice. BUT , makes sense

The Chambersburg show was initially a DCA show for 2 years before DCI got its hands on it. I remember the Bushwackers were payed with a check from a local fast food franchisee. Im guessing since it is run by the same people now as it was then, They still get a hefty sponsorship from the same company as a charitable gift.

So my guess is this show is very profitable for the sponsor ( hs marching band?) since all the costs are offset by charitable donations. This one show may be a bad example to what you are asking.

I was at the Chambersburg show. There were more than 500 people there. Try at least 1500 if not more.

Exactly right...and this is why drum corps must return to recruiting local members, & the activity must return to local & regional circuits & shows.

• Like 3

what difference does the dci model make...these corps were barley on a tour...1 only 5 or 6 days....so no matter what the model was these corps were destined to fail......5 days...maybe staying home with no trip was the best thing...DCI or a model had nothing to do with these corps

Changing the model between last year and this wouldn't have helped, perhaps, but I'm talking about a longer term change. I'm not sure how DCI as a separate entity *doesn't* have a role to play. Nothing DCI does can overcome terrible management or massively bad luck, sure, but choices DCI makes *do* affect the member corps. And if a corps is on the edge of folding, maybe a *little* help is all it needs to stay alive.

Forte never left their own region.....you cannot blame a national touring model for the decision to not continue the season. Even under a regional touring model such as DCM corps still had to travel. Show's in Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Ohio etc are not exactly just down the street from Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Exactly right...and this is why drum corps must return to recruiting local members,...

Nope; it does not matter if they recruit from down the street or from the other side of the globe, drum corps must recruit members who will actually fulfill a contract by paying their dues in full prior to tour.

... & the activity must return to local & regional circuits & shows.

The activity "does" provide for this; but apparently you and many others just do not want any part of it. It is called the organizations of SDCA, DCA, and many local parade units which do exist all over the country. You just seem to want to require the organization of DCI to provide that service.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

The ebb and flow of life, or the economy, has always been a part of human history. However, those who are not greedy with instant gratification and actually "prepare" for the hard times, along with those who are actually willing to downsize during the hard times, have always survived the storms with security, stability, honor, and ethical standards. Those who live in a frivolous, greedy, instant gratification manner, and do not prepare for hard times or are not willing to downsize, either fail during hard times or they survive by devouring others and pilfering others resources during that period.

• Like 1