I've come to the conclusion...

For the record that is completely the opposite of how I feel. lol

Like I said - general consensus.

I would actually attend MORE shows if there was no score given.

You know, it's kinda funny: you can actually attend shows, skip the scores, don't look them up on the internet when you get home, and still have a great time enjoying the performances.

• Like 8

You know, it's kinda funny: you can actually attend shows, skip the scores, don't look them up on the internet when you get home, and still have a great time enjoying the performances.

You mean that guy who belts me into my seat and forces me to hear the scores ISN'T a DCI staff member?

• Like 1

Although I agree with you about enjoying shows without the scores, I think keeping the competitive aspect of this activity is crucial to its success. I remember many times during my years marching that getting beat by another corps just pushed us to get better. I think if the scores were to go away, so would the quality of performances.

I would like to first say that I have no opinion on the exhibition aspect.

But I will say I think we should introduce a Russian figure skating judge to the table, and allow him/her to preside over all 5 of the WGI judges we had on the sheets tonight and give his input to what he thought.

There is no way in hell it could turn up more inconsistent than what we have seen the past few weeks. JMO.

• Like 1

Because DCI preached all off-season that the sheets were changing, and things would be judged differently this year, things were going to change, and still, no one has seen any change at all besides the direction of the judges sheets being different. The people judging are the same, as is their methods of judging and adjudicating

I don't think DCI ever said that changing sheets would change the results of the competition. As we are seeing, the teams that design to the sheets and perform the best are still winning. These groups would be in the same place regardless of what the sheets said because they are the BEST. Best designers, best performers, most talented, etc.

Same people are judging, yes. The same qualified designers, educators and professionals who both marched and are very successful with their own endeavors. Have their methods changed: I don't know because I haven't listened to all of their tapes, nor looked at every score to see how their opinions either jived or differed from my own.

DCI HAS changed the sheets, but never said beyond this that "things were going to change" and if thats' meant to be a reference for someone other than BD being at or near the top every year, then someone else needs to come along, step up and beat them at their own game :tongue:

I can assure you if the sheets all of a sudden changed to 90% music and 10% visual, BD would still come out and knock your head off with a killer music book and unbelievable music package, rivaled by few, as would Crown and Cadets.

As long as we have corps with the experience of designers like BD, Cadets and Crown, its going to be a similar finish every year. Kentucky and UNC in basketball, Bama/LSU/USC in football, Yankees in baseball and BD/Crown/Cadets in DCI. Just enjoy the shows and try not to obsess over the scores. I can promise the members dont...

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 3

And DCP-ers seem to be pretty clueless about judging :ph34r:

I hope it didn't seem like I was implying that.