Open the roof

I agree whole-heartedly. Open the roof! Even more than football, drum corps should be outside. I have gone to DCI Minnesota the last two years and Masters in Murfreesboro for over a decade. The Georgia Dome and Lucas Oil are nice, but the sound is horrible comapred to the open-air stadiums. Now, I don't know if a dome with an open roof qualifies sound-wise as open air or not. Indy is a driveable trip for me - I plan to drive to my second Finals there Friday and Saturday - but I would much rather see Finals return to a college stadium that is a traditional outdoor stadium. The sound quality will be much better and Finals should have the best of that.

Regadless...GO DEVS!! 15!! DADA!!

• Like 1

Sounds perfect to me. Is 80 degrees hot?

80 degrees honestly sounds perfect for a summer drum corps show!

First year I went to LOS, we sat up a bit and to the right. The sound was horrendous!It was soo muddy I couldn't make out a thing the snares were playing. The sound was bouncing around and it got so jumbled up I swore to never come back. But I did and tried sitting lower in the middle this time. BIG difference! I could actually make out what the snareline was playing and it wasn't near as bad soundwise. But sit higher and forget it. Unless I have lower tix, I'll never watch another corps show there. Domes suck and they need the roof opened. Everyone would notice the difference right away. But they won't and that's why I sit low.

• Like 1

Right, but what was the reason for the other years in Lucas Oil then?

There were also storms during finals in 2010, just not as bad as last year. I was working for DCI both years and watched the havoc that creates behind the scenes even with the roof closed. I don't know about 2009, but there was no way LOS would allow the roof to be open either of those years.

And let's not forget about the lives that were tragically lost last year at the Indiana State Fair the same time as finals was happening. We should consider ourselves very lucky to have been in a very strong dome stadium rather than outside.

Off the record .. from a high up source ....

With ticket sales for finals surging ... regionals being packed ... a current commitment with Indianapolis that is working wonders for the DCI corporate end of things ... look forward to LOS's contract being extended.

I think everyone loved 08 at IU .......... but don't expect to see that or anything like it for a very very very long time.

Also, don't get your hopes up about the roof. August in Indy is always bad for 2 things ...... Lightening and HEAT. Both are causes to keep it closed. Unless an ice age pops up .. that roof will never be opened.

HENCE .. I doubt I'll ever see a finals live again :thumbdown:

And let's not forget about the lives that were tragically lost last year at the Indiana State Fair the same time as finals was happening. We should consider ourselves very lucky to have been in a very strong dome stadium rather than outside.

Well, to be fair, this argument works against all outdoor shows. Should DCI really be risking the lives of its corps members and audience by holding events outside? And the kids rehearse outside nearly every day! Storms can blow up in minutes, just ask the Cavies staff who got blown off their viewing tower in Muncie. :ph34r:

I can't imagine the cost of air conditioning the dome (if that is passed along to DCI) is cheaper than leaving the roof open...

Having the roof open is probably cheaper than air conditioning the stadium. However, having the roof open and then having to re-air condition the stadium would be a prohibitive expense.

Also, without the air conditioning on at Lucas Oil Stadium, the inner hallways, bathrooms and dining areas aren't getting cooled as well. For the roof to be opened, the temperature needs to be much more moderate than it typically is in Indianapolis in August.

According to the five-day forecast from the Weather Channel, Thursday has a predicted high of 83 degrees and a low of 62, but with a 40% of rain, Friday 77 and 58 with a 30% chance and Saturday 80 and 58 with a 10% chance.

But another consideration about the roof is all that black fabric that was only gotten more expansive since our first incursion into the stadium. Wind coming in through the roof could play havoc with those large curtains.

And if you click on the weather details to be expanded, you'll notice that the Moonphase is Waning Gibbous on Thursday, which sounds pretty good for Blue Devils. (Executive Director Dave Gibbs for anyone who didn't catch that reference.) But Friday it's Last Quarter, which leaves Semifinals up in the air, I guess. And Saturday it's Waning Crescent, which is likely a meteorological reference to BD's horn arranger and caption head. You heard it here first.

• Like 1

There were also storms during finals in 2010, just not as bad as last year. I was working for DCI both years and watched the havoc that creates behind the scenes even with the roof closed. I don't know about 2009, but there was no way LOS would allow the roof to be open either of those years.

exactly...last year was a mess for the time the storm passed. The show for sure would have been finished just before top 5 or 6 would have gone on. How many would have ratherered bad sound than no show at all. Yes youre right , lives were lost not to far away that night in Indy

exactly...last year was a mess for the time the storm passed. The show for sure would have been finished just before top 5 or 6 would have gone on. How many would have ratherered bad sound than no show at all. Yes youre right , lives were lost not to far away that night in Indy

Yes - I was at Finals last year and it got a little frightening. With absolutely no disrespect to the families/victims last year, following this line of reasoning, though, there never should be an outdoor competition in DCI again at any point in the season - only indoor competitions period (and rehearsals too).

Having the roof open is probably cheaper than air conditioning the stadium. However, having the roof open and then having to re-air condition the stadium would be a prohibitive expense.

Also, without the air conditioning on at Lucas Oil Stadium, the inner hallways, bathrooms and dining areas aren't getting cooled as well. For the roof to be opened, the temperature needs to be much more moderate than it typically is in Indianapolis in August.

According to the five-day forecast from the Weather Channel, Thursday has a predicted high of 83 degrees and a low of 62, but with a 40% of rain, Friday 77 and 58 with a 30% chance and Saturday 80 and 58 with a 10% chance.

But another consideration about the roof is all that black fabric that was only gotten more expansive since our first incursion into the stadium. Wind coming in through the roof could play havoc with those large curtains.

And if you click on the weather details to be expanded, you'll notice that the Moonphase is Waning Gibbous on Thursday, which sounds pretty good for Blue Devils. (Executive Director Dave Gibbs for anyone who didn't catch that reference.) But Friday it's Last Quarter, which leaves Semifinals up in the air, I guess. And Saturday it's Waning Crescent, which is likely a meteorological reference to BD's horn arranger and caption head. You heard it here first.

Perhaps I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time :) If the roof were closed, why would there be a need for the black curtain and air conditioning for the hallways and bathrooms? Aren't those a result of having the roof closed in the first place?

Yeah - and all the other stuff that Mike said too... :)