Open the roof

Yep, and there's no drainage system under it either.

genius idea building a retractable roof stadium with no drainage.

:rolleyes:

I live in the area, have worked some in and around LOS, and attended several events there. There seem to be several misconceptions about the roof that I'd like to clear up.

First, it only takes 11 minutes for the roof to open. 4 minutes for the windows. No extensive preparation is needed to open the roof, though they do make the decision at least 90 minutes prior to an event. The entire process performed by a single operator.

Second, it is not expensive to open the roof. The energy required to do this is infinitesimal compared to the energy used by the stadium as a whole.

Third, LOS does not become an oven with the roof open in warm weather. This is a very large, airy building . . . air circulation is actually pretty good with the roof open.

The reason why Lucas Oil is antsy about opening the roof has already been mentioned. You see, Irsay and the Colts begged the Indiana taxpayers for the biggest, most lavish, and most expensive retractable stadium roof in the NFL. Then they decided not to install drainage, or to weatherproof scoreboards, speakers, or screens. There are a lot of taxpayers and fans who are very, very, p####ed off about this particular boondoggle.

When it comes to drum corps, there's another reason why the roof is kept close. Corps are designing their shows to work in a particular acoustic environment. They spend all season preparing for it. If DCI decides to open the roof and then has to close it, the roof cannot be reopened according LOS policy. That means that the corps will have played in two very different acoustic environments, which could possible effect the judging. In all honesty this is why DCI keeps the roof closed. Which is too bad, because Lucas Oil would be an almost perfect DC venue if the roof were opened.

funny you mention they plan all season for that environment, then do 2 whole shows in a similar environment out of the 20-30 shows a season a corps performs in.

genius aint it?

:rolleyes:

Off the record .. from a high up source ....

With ticket sales for finals surging ... regionals being packed ... a current commitment with Indianapolis that is working wonders for the DCI corporate end of things ... look forward to LOS's contract being extended.

I think everyone loved 08 at IU .......... but don't expect to see that or anything like it for a very very very long time.

Also, don't get your hopes up about the roof. August in Indy is always bad for 2 things ...... Lightening and HEAT. Both are causes to keep it closed. Unless an ice age pops up .. that roof will never be opened.

HENCE .. I doubt I'll ever see a finals live again :thumbdown:

well if the stream it on the fan network, maybe

Finally, a new discussion on DCP.

Now if only someone would start a thread complaining about BD's show design....

• Like 4

Finally, a new discussion on DCP.

Now if only someone would start a thread complaining about BD's show design....

sorry. didn't mean to hold the gun to your head to come in and read it

:tongue:

Perhaps I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time :) If the roof were closed, why would there be a need for the black curtain and air conditioning for the hallways and bathrooms? Aren't those a result of having the roof closed in the first place?

Yeah - and all the other stuff that Mike said too... :)

The black curtain provides not just an acoustic baffling for the sound, but a backdrop for the life video feed and DVDs. The hallways and bathrooms still need to be air conditioned because those spaces need ventilation when it's hot outside, as the big windows and brick exterior still absorbs heat from the sun and transfers it to the interior.

genius idea building a retractable roof stadium with no drainage.

Drainage was originally designed into the floor, but cut due to budget constraints.

Also cut was the idea for the turf to be a new fiber optic system that could change colors via computer controls. Logos could come and go and lines could be displayed to show first downs and the like. In our case, corps logos could have been displayed anywhere on the field, or even other designs as instructed by corps designers. But the system was still a bit new and very expensive. Would have been pretty darned cool, though.

sorry. didn't mean to hold the gun to your head to come in and read it

:tongue:

Well I had to come in and see if there was anything new to the debate.

I'm pretty sure you're right. When they announced the venue and the long term contract, DCI said that they would make every effort possible to keep the roof open. Then when it came to occupy the stadium after Bloomington...DCI just forgot about it. Anyone know why the stance reversal?

I'm sure you're 100% aware that DCI does not own or manage Lucas Oil Stadium. They rent the facility for Championship weekend, but are still told what they can or can't do by Lucas Oil Stadium management. I honestly do not know DCI's contract, or financial details, but I would bet it's a significant cost for DCI to open the roof: it's not like opening your garage door where you flip a switch, the it's opened up in 15 seconds, and you're good to go.