Teal Drum Corps

Video is down.

We took the video down that explains what the new Teal Drum Corps is all about due to a calculation error made in our figures. We want to make sure we are providing the correct information to everyone. Not to worry we will put a revised version of the video back up soon.

I would really like to know who is behind this project, and if they have split from the old corps. The logo is pretty much the same, but the old FB page is still up. Starting a new corps with more questions than answers just seems crazy. Why not have some answers before you post a start up announcement?

They'd have to change their color but why not...

The Blue Angels?

:ph34r:

We took the video down that explains what the new Teal Drum Corps is all about due to a calculation error made in our figures. We want to make sure we are providing the correct information to everyone. Not to worry we will put a revised version of the video back up soon.

First thought I had was if they read this thread or someone reading or posting here contacted them about some of the statements in the video. Either way at least they realized somehow that there was a mistake and/or problem with what was stated in the vid.

I've never been a fan of the choice of teal. Why not Azure? Indigo? Turquoise? Cobalt? Cerulean?

But seriously, I think a clean break with the Teal name would actually have been a good idea, given recent events.

Teal was chosen as it was the color of the cities professional football team (Jaguars).

IMHO I have always favored alliteration use as in "Jacksonville Jazz" for a drum corps name (like Suncoast Sound).

I am glad that a new drum corps is beginning in Florida. It's somewhat ironic that Florida is probably one of the most represented states in the activity, but getting a corps started and the corps having longevity has been a challenge.

At this point, it's still too early to know what caused Teal's demise. Lots of fingers are being pointed: management claims non-payment of dues is the cause. Former Teal Sound members and parents tell a different story. The truth is probably a combination of both sides. However, what has been said in this and many other posts would be a symptom more than a cause. If members were let off the hook or paying dues was not enforced, that's a management issue. If the corps did not enforce due payment out of fear of loosing members, that's a brand issue.

My concern with Teal Drum Corps as opposed to Teal Sound--it may be too similar to the old corps. As I look back on Teal's history, I see attempts at innovation, some of which have been controversial--remember that instrument contraption that resembled an electronic clarinet they used (I forgot the name) that made DCP posts go bonkers? They've also had questionable management choices that again filled DCP posts with often inflammatory posts, though there may have been some truth in the concerns. I'm not sure Teal was ever on solid ground or had an identity. I'm not faulting Teal here since it takes time for this to develop and the corps' history was relatively short lived.

My recommendation for Teal Drum Corps would be to start at the beginning. Focus on the basics first and grow from there, don't try and replace what was lost. Get solid people in management positions, which can be some of the people who made mistakes with the old corps. We all learn from mistakes. Gain the trust of parents, members, and supporters. Decide who you want to be as a corps rather than what you want to be. If you know the who, the what will follow. Knowing who you are will also make corps members have a sense of loyalty and identity which will make stiffing the corps or giving less than 100% unlikely. Also, you may want to consider changing the name. New corps, new identity, new name.

• Like 2

I am glad that a new drum corps is beginning in Florida. It's somewhat ironic that Florida is probably one of the most represented states in the activity, but getting a corps started and the corps having longevity has been a challenge.

At this point, it's still too early to know what caused Teal's demise. Lots of fingers are being pointed: management claims non-payment of dues is the cause. Former Teal Sound members and parents tell a different story. The truth is probably a combination of both sides. However, what has been said in this and many other posts would be a symptom more than a cause. If members were let off the hook or paying dues was not enforced, that's a management issue. If the corps did not enforce due payment out of fear of loosing members, that's a brand issue.

My concern with Teal Drum Corps as opposed to Teal Sound--it may be too similar to the old corps. As I look back on Teal's history, I see attempts at innovation, some of which have been controversial--remember that instrument contraption that resembled an electronic clarinet they used (I forgot the name) that made DCP posts go bonkers? They've also had questionable management choices that again filled DCP posts with often inflammatory posts, though there may have been some truth in the concerns. I'm not sure Teal was ever on solid ground or had an identity. I'm not faulting Teal here since it takes time for this to develop and the corps' history was relatively short lived.

My recommendation for Teal Drum Corps would be to start at the beginning. Focus on the basics first and grow from there, don't try and replace what was lost. Get solid people in management positions, which can be some of the people who made mistakes with the old corps. We all learn from mistakes. Gain the trust of parents, members, and supporters. Decide who you want to be as a corps rather than what you want to be. If you know the who, the what will follow. Knowing who you are will also make corps members have a sense of loyalty and identity which will make stiffing the corps or giving less than 100% unlikely. Also, you may want to consider changing the name. New corps, new identity, new name.

Well said.

• Like 1

Interesting that there hasn't been anything from these folks in weeks.

• Like 1