John Williams

There is an awful lot of ignorance in this thread.

Film music is, by and large, owned by the studios. NOT the composers. That's just the way it is. Williams' didn't "sell his soul" or anything of the kind. This is how Hollywood operates.

John Williams is doing us all a favor by not letting corps play his "music".

Edgy. :rolleyes:

Williams is influenced by other composers. Much like every single other composer who has ever lived (even Mozart was ripping himself off by the end). This becomes even harder to avoid when you work in film music, when "temp scores" are the norm and directors want you to get as close as humanly possible to them without being identical. It isn't your call in the film world, most of the time.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 6

Also, for the record, Hal Leonard is the publisher for a large portion of Williams' stuff...which, that right there should give you a hint as to why it's impossible to get the rights to arrange any of it.

John Williams is doing us all a favor by not letting corps play his "music".

Each to their own....but...this comment is completely ridiculous to me.....

• Like 5

I am a huge fan of John Williams and his music. He's a fantastic composer. What the ignorant mouth-breathers that claim he just steals stuff don't realize is that he's not writing symphonies, he's working for and with producers and directors, and he has to write not only music he likes, but music THEY like that fits what their vision is. Anytime you work on commission you're going to compose based on the needs and desires of your client. Very rarely do they say "do whatever", even at Williams' level.

When it's done well, you get incredibly popular music that lasts generations, and John Williams is one of very few composers that really has mastered that very difficult art.

• Like 5

I am a huge fan of John Williams and his music. He's a fantastic composer. What the ignorant mouth-breathers that claim he just steals stuff don't realize is that he's not writing symphonies, he's working for and with producers and directors, and he has to write not only music he likes, but music THEY like that fits what their vision is. Anytime you work on commission you're going to compose based on the needs and desires of your client. Very rarely do they say "do whatever", even at Williams' level.

When it's done well, you get incredibly popular music that lasts generations, and John Williams is one of very few composers that really has mastered that very difficult art.

Just like what Frank Zappa said that in the 16th & 17th centuries if you wrote music the king didn't like...Off with your head!

• Like 1

1.) Very few composers, especially film/tv composers, have any say about the copyrights or licensing of their work. (both ASCAP and BMI have a simple search engine to find out where to either contact or get the forms to request licensing or permission).

2.) There are countless charts and titles of John Williams' not only on the commercial market, but have also been specifically arranged in drum corps/marching bands.

3.) He is one of the most world renown, sought after, influential and talented composer/conductor today, its rather bold for anyone to downplay his contributions, then again the most critical are those that have never achieved or accomplished much of anything.

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken
  • Like 3

There is an awful lot of ignorance in this thread.

Film music is, by and large, owned by the studios. NOT the composers. That's just the way it is. Williams' didn't "sell his soul" or anything of the kind. This is how Hollywood operates.

Edgy. :rolleyes:

Williams is influenced by other composers. Much like every single other composer who has ever lived (even Mozart was ripping himself off by the end). This becomes even harder to avoid when you work in film music, when "temp scores" are the norm and directors want you to get as close as humanly possible to them without being identical. It isn't your call in the film world, most of the time.

How does that work?? If I take $5.00 out of my wallet and give it to myself did I just rip myself off?? :huh:

Beethoven's Ode to Joy melody was written 16 years prior to the Ninth Symphony in his "Choral Fantasy" and later altered slightly and used in the Ninth.

Find how many of Tchaikovsky's music uses the national anthem "God Save the Tsar." 1812, March Slav, Majestic March are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.