Cadets' Christmas Show

I have been trying to figure out why The Cadets decided to do a Christmas show this year. Were they thinking that everyone likes Christmas music and therefore a Christmas show would have a lot of audience appeal? Is it about a message they are trying to promote? Did they think it would appeal to the members of the corps, because it is cool? Is it an attempt to build the DCI fanbase by doing a show a lay person could easily understand?

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a big fan of the show design (I am one of the few that doesn't really like Christmas music all the much). However, this post isn't meant to rip on The Cadets or to criticize the show. We have talked a lot about what the Blue Devils are trying to do (or what message they are trying to send) with their show design, but I think in many ways The Cadets show is as much of a statement as the Blue Devils show is.

Based on recent history, my guess is that the show was designed as an attempt to try and bring in non-DCI fans by doing a straight forward easy to understand show. In my opinion, if that is the goal, it is not successful at doing so. I think most people that are not already drum corps fans would laugh at the show, but I also admit that might just be my personal bias against the design speaking.

I could be wrong though. Perhaps they just thought that it would be appealing to kids that wanted to participate in the corps this year. If that was their goal, then it probably was a success as the members of the corps are performing very well and seem to have bought into it.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone ... that isn't my intention (though it seems to happen regularly regardless of my intentions). Just thought it was an interest topic that I hadn't seen discussed this year.

• Like 3

Garfields 2012 Christmas show is one of my favorite shows of all time. My Wife & Mother also absolutely love this show.

Its all about the music & musically, this show is outstanding.

• Like 3

Cadet management sitting around...drinking beers...brainstorming as to what their next show should be about...

1st Cadet, "Okay...let's see...what should we do in the next show."

2nd Cadet, "Heck, I don't know...we've done just about everything already."

3rd Cadet, "I know...let's do a show about the Firebird Suite!"

2nd Cadet, "Nah...BK is already doing that next year."

3rd Cadet, "Oh...okaaay. You know, Sully and Jay ought to make them a pretty good show with that stuff."

1st Cadet, "Hey...how about a Christmas show? We haven't done THAT before, have we?"

2nd Cadet, "Hmmm...that could work."

3rd Cadet, "Oh, yeah...I've got some ideas already!!"

1st Cadet, "Alriiight!! Let's get on it!! Good Job, guys!"

And the rest is history...

Part of the reason was they wanted a show that was as different as possible from last year so that you just wouldnt compare the two after 2011 being so successful.

2011 was an easy to understand show (even easier than Christmas I think) and that was a huge success. So there is nothing wrong with having a concept that is easy to get.

Btw I think you are confusing concept with design. You keep saying you dont like the design but I think you mean concept (of Christmas).

I think one of the main drivers to this show was the reactions people were getting from last years show. People got emotional and I am sure they were expecting similar reactions to Christmas show. Religion in America can cause very emotional reactions.

It's a toss up if their show this year had as emotional an impact on fans as last year. But criticism is much higher.

People questioning why the cadets chose this route and I'm asking why NOT this route? The cadets have done shows about the pusuit happiness and Alice in Wobderland. Christmas is not that far off! Can't fathom why cadet fans would be disappointed over a few Christmas carols!

But, yeah the theme was RISKY in that there is a chance not everyone will like it. How is that different than what blue devils did this year? How is that different from last year?

• Like 2

I have been trying to figure out why The Cadets decided to do a Christmas show this year. Were they thinking that everyone likes Christmas music and therefore a Christmas show would have a lot of audience appeal? Is it about a message they are trying to promote? Did they think it would appeal to the members of the corps, because it is cool? Is it an attempt to build the DCI fanbase by doing a show a lay person could easily understand?

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a big fan of the show design (I am one of the few that doesn't really like Christmas music all the much). However, this post isn't meant to rip on The Cadets or to criticize the show. We have talked a lot about what the Blue Devils are trying to do (or what message they are trying to send) with their show design, but I think in many ways The Cadets show is as much of a statement as the Blue Devils show is.

Based on recent history, my guess is that the show was designed as an attempt to try and bring in non-DCI fans by doing a straight forward easy to understand show. In my opinion, if that is the goal, it is not successful at doing so. I think most people that are not already drum corps fans would laugh at the show, but I also admit that might just be my personal bias against the design speaking.

I could be wrong though. Perhaps they just thought that it would be appealing to kids that wanted to participate in the corps this year. If that was their goal, then it probably was a success as the members of the corps are performing very well and seem to have bought into it.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone ... that isn't my intention (though it seems to happen regularly regardless of my intentions). Just thought it was an interest topic that I hadn't seen discussed this year.

Perhaps the ultimate plan was to do their Pearl Harbor Show for 2013 instead...This way when it wins everyone can complain The Cadets could have won back-to-back championships if they didn't scrap their 2012 idea in the first place.

Part of the reason was they wanted a show that was as different as possible from last year so that you just wouldnt compare the two after 2011 being so successful.

2011 was an easy to understand show (even easier than Christmas I think) and that was a huge success. So there is nothing wrong with having a concept that is easy to get.

Btw I think you are confusing concept with design. You keep saying you dont like the design but I think you mean concept (of Christmas).

I think one of the main drivers to this show was the reactions people were getting from last years show. People got emotional and I am sure they were expecting similar reactions to Christmas show. Religion in America can cause very emotional reactions.

It's a toss up if their show this year had as emotional an impact on fans as last year. But criticism is much higher.

People questioning why the cadets chose this route and I'm asking why NOT this route? The cadets have done shows about the pusuit happiness and Alice in Wobderland. Christmas is not that far off! Can't fathom why cadet fans would be disappointed over a few Christmas carols!

But, yeah the theme was RISKY in that there is a chance not everyone will like it. How is that different than what blue devils did this year? How is that different from last year?

You are right. It is the concept that I am not a fan of, the design if very good (except for the arrangement of Jingle Bells, which I find pretty cheesy). I should have been more precise.

And for the record, I have no problems with the religious aspects of the show. I am a devoutly religious person myself. I just don't really like Christmas music, and I hate cheesy drum corps shows. I am not really criticizing the choice of Christmas music though, just trying to understand what the thinking might have been behind it.

Thanks for your insights.

I can remember George explaining the 2006 show by saying that he believed a corps should push boundaries and try new things after winning a championship. Which, I think, is respectable. The general for championship corps is to develop a formula and use it until they completely run out of steam. Not so the Cadets of the past decade.

I do like 12.25. It's a good, not great show. The best route (competitively speaking) might have been a more serious, minimalist take on Christmas. The sledding, the guard uniforms, the sound clips, Jingle Bells, etc. look goofy to the eyes of many, and sadly there's this notion among fans and judges alike that a show has to be s00per cereal in order to be championship worthy. Personally I don't mind goofiness on the field. It just seems that in this instance they might have been better off if they had toned things down. Which is interesting, because I thought the 2011 show could have gone much further with the concept and used a little more humor (obviously this advice is unnecessary!).

I think a big part of the reason is general audience appeal, and simple show concepts. You can't get much easier to understand than a show about Christmas. Even people who have no idea what drum corps is can grasp the concept, and that's a great thing to do. I know the involvement of Cesario was to get more fans in the stands with more recognizable, accessible shows, and the Cadets answered very well. It's an easy show to get, without beating you over the head with a message. It's about the Christmas spirit, but not making it a '' religious'' show.

I think a big part of the reason is general audience appeal, and simple show concepts. You can't get much easier to understand than a show about Christmas. Even people who have no idea what drum corps is can grasp the concept, and that's a great thing to do. I know the involvement of Cesario was to get more fans in the stands with more recognizable, accessible shows, and the Cadets answered very well. It's an easy show to get, without beating you over the head with a message. It's about the Christmas spirit, but not making it a '' religious'' show.

But even if it is recognizable and accessible, what good is that if it isn't also appealing? Maybe I am totally off-base in my judgment, but I imagine there are a lot of non-DCI fans that would see the show and decide they wouldn't ever be a drum corps fan.

Compare that to Crown's 2011 show or Jersey Shore's show this year. Both of those shows are also recognizable and accessible, but they are also shows that I feel would excite a non-DCI fan.

Perhaps I am completely overlooking a particular non-DCI fan demographic that would get excited about the Christmas show.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 1

It could also be a good PR move to keep people thinking about Drum Corps all year 'round if they don't already. Don't forget this could make a great Christmas gift.

If you host a Christmas party and you play the music for your guests, it's bound to turn some heads even among non-Drum corps friends, again, if you have any :tongue:

Edited by Barifonium