Cadets' Christmas Show

However, this post isn't meant to rip on The Cadets or to criticize the show.

<snip>

In my opinion, if that is the goal, it is not successful at doing so. I think most people that are not already drum corps fans would laugh at the show, but I also admit that might just be my personal bias against the design speaking.

and there it is....so much for your non-ripping post. Well, we can balance each other out, because I LOVE this Cadets show. I'm not too self-impressed that I can't like Christmas music. And I cannot fathom why a show you can't even hear the first 2 minutes of, due to the loud French voiceover, is considered so awesome.

So, it all evens out.

• Like 2

Cadet management sitting around...drinking beers...brainstorming as to what their next show should be about...

1st Cadet, "Okay...let's see...what should we do in the next show."

2nd Cadet, "Heck, I don't know...we've done just about everything already."

3rd Cadet, "I know...let's do a show about the Firebird Suite!"

2nd Cadet, "Nah...BK is already doing that next year."

3rd Cadet, "Oh...okaaay. You know, Sully and Jay ought to make them a pretty good show with that stuff."

1st Cadet, "Hey...how about a Christmas show? We haven't done THAT before, have we?"

2nd Cadet, "Hmmm...that could work."

3rd Cadet, "Oh, yeah...I've got some ideas already!!"

1st Cadet, "Alriiight!! Let's get on it!! Good Job, guys!"

And the rest is history...

Although this conversation may have occurred, I am inpossession of an illegally recorded text message conversation provided by a Rupert Murdock operative. The names have been redacted to protect the culpable. (Recorded some time inthe fall of 2011):

Cadet Designer #1: "I just got off the phone with Hoppy and he's tired of all the death,warring factions and tragic love themes…he wants something uplifting where all of the performers are alive at the end... no dragging bodies around. In fact, he said if anyone gets skewered in our design…it'll be us! What do you think?"

Cadet Designer #2: "How about a birthday theme….you know vs ....death?"

Cadet Designer #1: "You mean like…Happy Birthday to you?"

Cadet Designer #2: "Yeah…but no cake or creepy uncles"

Cadet Designer #1: "OK, but Happy Birthday to who?"

Cadet Designer #2: "How about Jeffery?"

Cadet Designer #1: "Happy Birthday to Jeffery? Hmmm… bigger…. and less stupid!"

Cadet Designer #2: "How about the birthday of the guy that started NPR?"

Cadet Designer #1: "Remember, no dead guys….if we do that, Hop will shoot him and us!"

Cadet Designer #2: "I've got it…. the greatest birthday of all time….Christmas!"

Cadet Designer #1: "Done! But what kind of music?"

Cadet Designer #2: blink.gif

Edited by Plan9

and there it is....so much for your non-ripping post. Well, we can balance each other out, because I LOVE this Cadets show. I'm not too self-impressed that I can't like Christmas music. And I cannot fathom why a show you can't even hear the first 2 minutes of, due to the loud French voiceover, is considered so awesome.

So, it all evens out.

Where did I rip them? I expressed my opinion ... just like you did. Quit being a tool.

They can sell this show every holiday season. That's why. Genius.

Why Christmas music? Because "George wanted it and he signs the checks" (paraphrasing J. Bocook). :tongue:

I too was skeptical at the beginning of the season and I really don't much care for holiday music (due to marketing bombardment), but I admit they greatly surprised me. I honestly forgot I was listening to 'Christmas' music it was so well done - that is until the infernal voice snippets reminded me... heh!

Why Christmas music? Because "George wanted it and he signs the checks" (paraphrasing J. Bocook). :tongue:

I too was skeptical at the beginning of the season and I really don't much care for holiday music (due to marketing bombardment), but I admit they greatly surprised me. I honestly forgot I was listening to 'Christmas' music it was so well done - that is until the infernal voice snippets reminded me... heh!

LOL ... I caught that too. I actually enjoyed their show a lot more tonight than I have so far this season. I don't know why ... maybe I gave it more of a chance than I have in the past. I still hate the Jingle Bells part, but the show is really well designed and they are performing it well.

Hey! Linus didn't scare the crap out of me last night! Thank you for finally turning the vox down at that section, While I still can't stand mic'd or recorded vox, I still love this show!

I recall that a Christmas show was considered following the 1984 season as well a Pat Metheny show. Both were ditched. But in 1985 the Bridgemen did a Christmas show and Blue Devils played Pat Metheny, which is one of my favorite shows of all time. I believe the Bridgemen may have picked up on the idea after we decided not to do it and that we decided not to play Metheny because BD had already decided to.

Of course, I may be wrong on some or all of this. It was a long time ago and old-timers disease is creeping in. One thing I am sure of is '85 BD was bloody AWESOME!

That would have been incredible. I agree with you about 85 BD. Who won that year, though? smile.gif

Who won that year, though? smile.gif

I just love a happy ending :tounge2:

The Cadet's Christmas pageant is unmissable. When watching the movie events of Akron and prelims, I got teary eyed both nights during the "Do You Hear What I Hear?" ballad.

My mom has been extremely hard of hearing forever, (a shout out to Greenwood Village Retirement staff) and I know she would love to be able to hear this beautiful music.