An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

It's a mighty safe bet that no one, young or old, plankton or dino, denies that the athleticism and musicality of todays members are 'off the charts' spectacular. The abilities on display were never in question.

The meat of the discussion boils down to (in my opinion, if that was needed): Drum Corps was a truly unique musical experience that had absolutely no comparison. With the introduction of many of the new features (in the name of 'innovation' or 'evolution'), the overall uniqueness has become blurred with pretty much any other musical experience available to the public. It was precisely the limits in instrumentation that made drum corps the dominant in the music entertainment industry. That is what made it unique and appealing to so many - there was nothing that could compare.

It has been said that the introduction of these new toys were needed to allow greater freedoms to the designers and writers, to let them expand their abilities and challenge their skills. If you truly want a challenge, try to write 12 solid minutes of brass and percussion without all the electronics.

In no way am I calling for elimination of the pit, expecting marching tymp or reverting back to G bugles, nor am I demanding that the guard go back to skirts and boots (I am greatly impressed with what the current guard members do, and I'm not a fan of dance!) - so put those trinkets back in your pocket. What I am getting at is that you have over 100 musicians out on that field, get the focus back to the music rather than the visual.

-- Ack. The discussion went elsewhere while I was two-finger typing. Ah well, nevermind. :tongue:

• Like 2

It's a mighty safe bet that no one, young or old, plankton or dino...

Plankton? I kind of like that. :thumbup:

Old-timers are often referred to as "dinos." Is there a better moniker for drum corps newbies than "plankton"? Perhaps "Zygotes"?

And how long does one need to be exposed to drum corps to no longer be a newbie, but not yet be considered a "dino"? What are those fans called? Also, is it possible to be around for decades and not be a "dino" if one keeps changing with the times?

I guess I'm getting a jumpstart on the off-season.

Hurry, June!

• Like 2

Plankton? I kind of like that. :thumbup:

Old-timers are often referred to as "dinos." Is there a better moniker for drum corps newbies than "plankton"? Perhaps "Zygotes"?

And how long does one need to be exposed to drum corps to no longer be a newbie, but not yet be considered a "dino"? What are those fans called? Also, is it possible to be around for decades and not be a "dino" if one keeps changing with the times?

I guess I'm getting a jumpstart on the off-season.

Hurry, June!

Oh my gosh, I am getting excited about next season just thinking about it. Drum corps season goes by way to fast, lol.

New fans?

Sure there are new fans, but the overall fan base is declining as we uber-geezers who supported this activity for the last 40 years or so are rapidly going away either by choice or natural attrition.

There will never be as many fans as there used to be, because the activity is no longer as accessible as it used to be.

DCI brags about 17,000 fans at finals last year.

My age-out year in 81 there were close to 40,000 fans at finals IN CANADA.

DCI is not drum corps, and has never been drum corps.

DCI is a corporation with a flawed business model-- much like a pyramid-- and I think it's crumbling before our eyes.

There were more than 17k fans at semis in 89. And Jules, I am with you 100% in your thoughts, though I will still watch just because I need my Phantom fix every year. What really is aggravating is that the newer generation of DCI members and fans call us dinos because we dont' like the direction of an organization which alot of us have spent countless hours either marching, volunteering or just enjoying. I marched for 6 years in Drum Corps, was in a BOA finalist band in HS, was on staff for 2 more. I have continually followed DCI throughout the years. We have seen the past and the present. Not just seen it but lived it. I continue to watch because I still need the adrenaline rush I get at the end of the show, something I have never found in anything else, but that being said when I watch a corps show that all that is heard in the first 90 seconds of an 11 minute program is synth I have a major problem with that. I don't name any corps because I know what how hard these kids work and would never put down their efforts, but what I saw made me sit there shaking my head. Call me a dino, makes no difference to me, But to the younger generation if you want to see why I feel like I do, watch the 1989 Phantom Regiment show, it speaks volumes all on its own. Enjoy Finals tonight!!!!

• Like 2

you bet I dont want the stands deciding...what makes you think you have the ability to do this...you dont....websters defination of Spectator is...one who watches, observes........so take a seat...sad part is you think you GET the activity and you couldnt be more out of touch with kids, their needs and progression.......sure not everything is good BUT neither was it BITD...I have every right to make that assesment from BITD because thats when I marched also...and as I remember there were the nit wits as you call them BITD also..in fact there more more nit wits back then then today , difference is they werent questioned back then, which made it worse

Simon Cowell didn't get to vote on American Idol and he was a judge. He doesn't get a vote on America's Got Talent and he is a producer. He does get a vote on the X-Factor where he is a judge AND a producer. On all three of these shows, the audience gets to vote because they watch the performers and they "buy tickets" and earn the right to vote by watching the performance, comparing it to others and sitting through the sponsors' commercials. The implication is they will buy their products in the future with no guarantee. It seems to work out fine for everyone.

Since people have coughed up cold, hard cash to travel to Indianapolis and sit in LOS tonight; not to mention all the other expenses associated with such a trip --and the tens of thousands of people who would be willing to pay for a chance to watch in a theater or in the comfort of their own home on a streamed PPV event tonight, I just wish drum corps would give this model a try for a couple of seasons. I think it is quite insulting to tell us we lack the ability . . . in effect, are not smart enough, to be able to pick a winner and vote for them. How dare you?

I have only been watching DCI for 3 years. But I totally agree that there is no need for synthesized sound and voice-overs etc. I liked the music in the Blue Devils show, but totally hated the overall design. Can you really even tell if someone is out of step or line when it is such a cluster.....? I also have to admit I have never been a big fan of major use of props and gimmicks both at DCI and in Bands of America etc. I want to see solid marching and music. If I want to see a theatrical production, I will go to the theater.

• Like 1

There has ALWAYS been this sort of attrition. Each new crop of dinosaurs laments and complains and threatens to walk away (and many do).

This is just part of the cycle. It happens. Not as big of a deal as you think.

So rather than taking on the hard task of plugging the hole in the bucket and finding a way to keep old fans and build new ones, DCI should perpetuate the revolving door of fans and give up on really growing the popularity of the activity?

Plateaus are unsustainable. If you're not growing, you're declining. Right now, DCI is holding near steady, but that won't last long. One way or the other, support levels will change, and for the sake of the kids involved, I hope I'm completely wrong in sounding an alarm. Time will tell.

Simon Cowell didn't get to vote on American Idol and he was a judge. He doesn't get a vote on America's Got Talent and he is a producer. He does get a vote on the X-Factor where he is a judge AND a producer. On all three of these shows, the audience gets to vote because they watch the performers and they "buy tickets" and earn the right to vote by watching the performance, comparing it to others and sitting through the sponsors' commercials. The implication is they will buy their products in the future with no guarantee. It seems to work out fine for everyone.

Since people have coughed up cold, hard cash to travel to Indianapolis and sit in LOS tonight; not to mention all the other expenses associated with such a trip --and the tens of thousands of people who would be willing to pay for a chance to watch in a theater or in the comfort of their own home on a streamed PPV event tonight, I just wish drum corps would give this model a try for a couple of seasons. I think it is quite insulting to tell us we lack the ability . . . in effect, are not smart enough, to be able to pick a winner and vote for them. How dare you?

I will challenge you.....how dare you...why would you possibibly think YOU should be the one deciding with no criteria. You think I want my kids after spending a fortune, 24/ 7 rehearsals, etc etc being decided by regional Bias, night to night in consistancies, someones dad or grandpa who may or may not be in touch with the entire activity, who likes what they like with no considersation of expanding their own thought process...yeah ok go for it..not in this lifetime.....but hey enjoy..or not :smile: thats a personal choice and everyone is certainly entitled to that.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

And I'm a trombone performance major, so I also know what good tone quality and intonation sound like. All I know is that a lot of the time when I go back to the old recordings, I hear tons of bad sounds coming out of lines, even ones at the top of the Finals rankings. I don't know if it was the teaching back then, or the recording equipment, but if you put a recording of a high brass winner from the 70s compared to Crown this year (probable Ott winners) I don't really see how there is a comparison. Seems like Crown is pushing just as much power and volume, same with BD and Madison, as the corps of old used to, with higher tone quality, but that's just my read on it. I'm not saying there was never a G bugle line who didn't play very well, there were lots. But there were also lots who didn't sound good. Not everything was all puppies and rainbows back in the G era, the same way it isn't all perfect now, but I think it's much better.

You're right, I wasn't there, I wasn't born yet, but I know what I've heard, and what lines i've been a part of, and I would take a current line over an old one.

If I want to hear a G bugle line, I can go watch a DCA show, and hear people play them, but for now, I'm sticking to DCI and the gorgeous Bb horn lines.

Bad musicians make bad sounds. The key of the instrument means nothing in that context.

If one is like me, and the true appeal of drum corps was precision execution AND rip you out of your seat musical power, modern "drum corps" is just frustrating.

Comparing bad old recordings to live sound is apples to rutabagas. I only listen to the old stuff because it triggers the chemical release in my brain that happened when I saw it live for the first time.

Watching a DCA show is not the same, unfortunately.

One thing to keep in mind is most of the G bugles were pretty poor instruments both in build quality and consistency.

Keeping those old tanks in tune was a moment to moment task.

By the time they were approaching B quality in manufacturing they got phased out.

Ever hear that loud "CLACK!" in the middle of a quiet passage?

That was the contra tuning slides.

IMO improving the G instrument was still keeping in harmony with the BUGLE part of the activity, but moving to B was purely a financial move.

Bonnie Ott can STILL play that G mellophone sooooo sweet.

How about Jim Brady?

Jeff Kievet?

Chris Metzger?

Pepe?

edit: Barbara Maroney?

Who today is as good as those cats were on those dinosaur instruments?

The shark got jumped when the HS band ideas got adopted and implemented; I had to stifle my laughs back when HS band started putting mics and amps and bass guitars and trap sets on the field. I thought it was the silliest thing I had ever seen.

I had no idea that it would make its way to drum corps. What a financial boondoggle.

I guarantee you any of those kids who lost their corps this year would trade all of that crap for a chance to march the whole season. They don't get that choice though, do they?

Is anyone asking the kids what they think?

Has anyone asked the kids if they would rather lose all that stuff and pay a lot less to march?

Would they pawn that stupid generator for a ham sandwich or three?

Edited by breezemont

Back when the Cadets revolutionized asymmetrical drill, and people went nuts over it. One specific moment I am thinking of is Cadets 1987. The company front that dissolved and re-evolved back into the company front.

Sorry, but Cadets DID do some extraordinary drill, but Santa Clara Vanguard (read: Pete Emmons) invented and revolutionized asymmetrical drill.