5. Legends (29)

6. Gold (28)

7. Raiders (30)

8. Music City (31)

9. 7th Regiment (32)

10. Les Stentors (33)

11. Blue Saints (34)

12. Colt Cadets (35)

Numbers in parentheses indicate prelims/semis when OC competes against WC.

(Not knowing which OC corps will be at either OC or WC prelims, I'm leaving out City Sound, Impulse, Racine Scouts, Spirit of Newark/NJ, Thunder, and Velvet Knights. And Blue Devils C, of course. Any new OC corps debuting or old ones reviving?)

I look forward to seeing the many ways in which my predictions go wrong!

The GOING WRONG part of your prediction is the most accurate :-)

Good thing I was looking forward to that! But I may yet be disappointed: not enough may go wrong!

Almost as soon as I had posted it, the saddest thing went wrong, went Glassmen withdrew from the 2013 schedule.

Otherwise though, it's too soon to say much about how right or wrong things are going. I had Cadets, Crown, and Blue Devils in the top three, and so far that seems likely. I had Phantom, Santa Clara, and Bluecoats in the top eight, and there's no reason yet to doubt that will come to pass. I had Crossmen and Blue Stars neck and neck, and so they are. Cavaliers I expected to show slight improvement, and they did at least beat Boston in their first show. My shakiest guesses, i.e., those likeliest to fail and thus truly satisfy my expectations of bad prognostication, are probably Boston at fifth, Madison at twelfth, Spirit at fourteenth, and Troopers at seventeenth. But we're only in the second of eight competition weeks. The West and East corps have yet to meet. Three corps haven't even had their first competition yet: Cascades, Jersey Surf, and Oregon Crusaders. Not to mention a sheaf of Open Class corps. Which leads to another change I pondered but failed to accurately predict: two new Open Class corps, the Columbians and Coastal Surge (although neither will be at O.C. Finals, so that doesn't affect placements). Isn't the clash of supposition and reality fun?

(Not directed at you, specifically, and not only about my post, but: Why would someone give a red minus to a simple prediction post? What does it mean to do that? Is the message, "I hate that you predicted my favorite corps lower than I want them to place"? Given that such mark-downs are anonymous, no one else knows which placement is so offensive, anyway. And what if that particular placement turns out to be right at the end of the season: does it frustrate the red-minuser then that the DCP system doesn't allow them to take back their post-scoring? Or do they secretly blame the predictor for somehow having made the prediction come to pass?)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Good thing I was looking forward to that! But I may yet be disappointed: not enough may go wrong!

Almost as soon as I had posted it, the saddest thing went wrong, went Glassmen withdrew from the 2013 schedule.

Otherwise though, it's too soon to say much about how right or wrong things are going. I had Cadets, Crown, and Blue Devils in the top three, and so far that seems likely. I had Phantom, Santa Clara, and Bluecoats in the top eight, and there's no reason yet to doubt that will come to pass. I had Crossmen and Blue Stars neck and neck, and so they are. Cavaliers I expected to show slight improvement, and they did at least beat Boston in their first show. My shakiest guesses, i.e., those likeliest to fail and thus truly satisfy my expectations of bad prognostication, are probably Boston at fifth, Madison at twelfth, Spirit at fourteenth, and Troopers at seventeenth. But we're only in the second of eight competition weeks. The West and East corps have yet to meet. Three corps haven't even had their first competition yet: Cascades, Jersey Surf, and Oregon Crusaders. Not to mention a sheaf of Open Class corps. Which leads to another change I pondered but failed to accurately predict: two new Open Class corps, the Columbians and Coastal Surge (although neither will be at O.C. Finals, so that doesn't affect placements). Isn't the clash of supposition and reality fun?

(Not directed at you, specifically, and not only about my post, but: Why would someone give a red minus to a simple prediction post? What does it mean to do that? Is the message, "I hate that you predicted my favorite corps lower than I want them to place"? Given that such mark-downs are anonymous, no one else knows which placement is so offensive, anyway. And what if that particular placement turns out to be right at the end of the season: does it frustrate the red-minuser then that the DCP system doesn't allow them to take back their post-scoring? Or do they secretly blame the predictor for somehow having made the prediction come to pass?)

Its so easy for a poster ( Cop ) to try and crticise a fellow DCP poster for their preseason predictions while it appears he never gave us his preseason prediction so others could likewise try and pick it apart. Nobody should have to defend their preseason predictions on here in my opinion. Especially if the ones being critical of them never took the time and effort to give us theirs. You gave us your preseason predictions N.E. Brigand, and in my opinion no defense for it is neccessary. But you even took the time to do that. So you actually come out ahead in this dialogue between you and the Cop, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

1. Carolina Crown

2. Blue Devils

3. Santa Clara

4. Cadets

5. Bluecoats

6. Madison Scouts

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Spirit of Atlanta

9. Boston Crusaders

10.Cavaliers

11.Blue Knights

12.Troopers

Its so easy for a poster ( Cop ) to try and crticise a fellow DCP poster for their preseason predictions while it appears he never gave us his preseason prediction so others could likewise try and pick it apart. Nobody should have to defend their preseason predictions on here in my opinion. Especially if the ones being critical of them never took the time and effort to give us theirs. You gave us your preseason predictions N.E. Brigand, and in my opinion no defense for it is neccessary. But you even took the time to do that. So you actually come out ahead in this dialogue between you and the Cop, imo.

Kinda crazy around here lately.... You got the thread about "Your Predictions Are Meaningless," now our meaningless predictions are being attacked? I think I posted like 50 predictions since last August and not a single one will come close to being right... NE Brigand has just as valid a prediction as the rest of us. I always think people tend to forget that we make predictions not to be masters of the drum corps universe but to pass the time between the seasons. It's like playing the lotto.... you can't expect you're gonna get it right, it's just luck and is out of your hands. So just enjoy and see how close it ends up. I honestly don't care what I predicted at the beginning of the season, I only want to enjoy talking and watching drum corps!:)!! Amen BRASSO

Wes Perkins

• Crown- Maybe they'll find the final piece of the puzzle. I wonder how the new uniforms tie into the shows theme.
  • Cadets- Cadets are not doing a campy show this year ( Toy Souldier, 12.25) So, Top 3.
  • Devils- Judges love what they do. They've been top 5 since 1975
  • Cavaliers- Since 1985 Cavies have been lower than 5th only twice. Last year was not a fluke. Cool uniforms! But, 9th place!
  • Vanguard- Great Staff! Nice show!-I move them up to 4th!
  • Bluecoats- In the top 7 since 2002, Always strong in many captions. I move Bloo to 7th!
  • Phantom- 9th, 6th, 5th, 3rd since their last Championship. Phantom can land anywhere in the top half. I move them up to 5th!
  • Madison- Everyone I've talked to that has seen the show says ,This is the best Madison since 2005! 6th Place!
  • Boston- Boston needs to find a second wind or they'll be out of finals come August!
  • Spirit- Dare I say 8th Place!
  • Blue Knights
  • Crossmen
  • Blue Stars
  • Academy
  • Colts
  • Troopers
  • P.Crest
  • Mandarin
  • Surf
  • Oregon
  • Cascades
  • Pioneer
  • Rankings based on absolutely nothing tangible. Just a guess...
  • This is why guessing before the season starts is silly! Only two things you can bet on before the season starts: Pioneer will be near the bottom and Cadets, Crown and Devils will be near the top!

Edited by boxingfred

It's so easy for a poster (Cop) to try and criticize a fellow DCP poster for their preseason predictions while it appears he never gave us his preseason prediction so others could likewise try and pick it apart. Nobody should have to defend their preseason predictions on here, in my opinion. Especially if the ones being critical of them never took the time and effort to give us theirs. You gave us your preseason predictions, N.E. Brigand, and in my opinion, no defense for it is necessary. But you even took the time to do that. So you actually come out ahead in this dialogue between you and the Cop, imo.

Thanks, BRASSO. I set myself up for such humorous tweaking as Cop has offered (and I read such comments as merely that) last December. This sort of thread is meant to be for fun! (And my post was down-voted months ago, so I wasn't accusing him of doing that. I just thought the grading was amusing to note.)

Boston needs to find a second wind or they'll be out of finals come August!

I think Boston can grow into their show.

Only two things you can bet on before the season starts: Pioneer will be near the bottom...

At Bowling Green, half of the couple seated next to me had been a Pioneer member in 1999 (when they placed 17th) and was on Pioneer's staff in 2010, when he thought they were in a position to improve, before some administrative decisions, in his view, undercut those efforts. I didn't learn anything about the specifics.

I think I posted like 50 predictions since last August and not a single one will come close to being right..

Wes Perkins

You predicted your Blue Knights to do better than many were expecting, and it looks like you just might be right if current trends continue, Wes.. so go easy on yourself. I really like what I'm seeing and hearing from BK so far. They looked well prepared to start the season, imo.

To be fair I always see them as a single digit corps and sometimes I'm right and sometimes not. It's a very cool show that even surprised me... Musically it's great but like many I had no idea what they'd do visually. I have to say I really dig the drill and vis interpretation of the concept. Lots o good corps this year but they do have a shot to be a big mover come Indy. Boston I think has a marvelous show and that drum line is out of this world!!

Visual GE will be the score that makes or breaks a finalist this year. They finally know how to judge that category. The People Want to Be Entertained! I see a big jump for Jersey Surf this year.