Phantom Baritones

It's a very recent change. Phantom used to only use euphoniums, I think 06 was the first time they used baritones in a very long time

It's a very recent change. Phantom used to only use euphoniums, I think 06 was the first time they used baritones in a very long time

They normally march only euphs, but this year they marched a mixed line for a blended sound. I prefer the all euph tone because it has a distinct sound, but they probably wanted to try a mixed line due to the differences in arranging style this year.

Edited by DarkHorner

I think, given the way the Baris were scored that it was a good idea. Marching Euphoniums tend to be wallowy horns, and I'm a Euphonium major, folks-- and dislike their lack of response. PR wrote with Baris in higher ranges, and I thought the clarity was better with the Bari voice, and it was the right move for that reason. No muddiness, risk of spreading timbre/ tubbiness or fighting to keep ahead of the horns so you're not late on attacks... I see more upside as a performer than downside.