When was the last G bugle manufactured?

Well, there aren't any G lines in DCI...

Not entirely true. I watched at least two hornlines warm up on Gs just this weekend.

None of the top 12, mind you, but to say there's no Gs is incorrect.

Edited by Lead

In 2008, Racine was using G horns. I don't know if they have changed since then or not.

Not entirely true. I watched at least two hornlines warm up on Gs just this weekend.

None of the top 12, mind you, but to say there's no Gs is incorrect.

ok i'll bite..... and they are???? (curiosity got the best of me)

I can testify that the Renegades are playing on Kanstul G Bugles. Kanstul is still producing G Bugles, and if you contact them directly, you may be able to convince them to make a 2v or P/R horn for you. Also, if you can find a Used full G hornline, Kanstul can most likely refurbish the horns. I would post in the Marketplace section of DCP about purchasing horns.

Kanstul lists their prices: (from post above and Kanstul website)

Soprano - $880

Powerbore Soprano - $950

Alto - $1085

Mellophone - $1085

French Horn - $1425

Baritone - $1425

Baritone Grande - $1465

Euphonium - $2500

Contra - $6835

Contra Grande - $8090

Dynasty (I got this from Dynasty Feb/2011)

010-M354S Soprano $1,550.00

010-M363S Mellophone $1,850.00

010-M371S Baritone $2,450.00

010-M378S Contrabass $10,950.00 (no case)

010-M380S Contrabass $17,950.00 (no case)

Case for Contrabass, molded, w/wheels $900.00

Used horns pop up here frequently.

FYI: The Rocketeers are slowly going all Kanstul. Everyone owns their own horns and we have a few loaners for new people.

Bill

Edited by BrassCats

On the DCI side, none of the top 12 corps are playing Gs. Heck, many of the top 12 don't even play the same set of horns two years in a row. When you go to Open Class DCI, that's where you get a wonderful mixed bag of G and Bb. Racine Scouts used Gs, as do Spirit of Newark, Les Stentors, and Blue Saints. Spirit of Newark and Les Stentors actually still play a mixed bag of 2 and 3 valved horns. Les Stentors still uses at least one King K-90 contrabass. My DCA corps even borrowed a King K-70 baritone from them for a performance in which one of our baris had a... how shall I put it... accidental misplacement of appropriate equipment...

On the DCA side, plenty of corps still use G, but that is slowly fading.

On the military side, the US Air Force Academy uses Dynasty bugles, the US Naval Academy uses 3 valved Kanstuls, and the Commandant's Own USMC Drum and Bugle Corps uses 2 valved Kanstuls (the contrabasses uses 2 pistons plus 1 half step rotary). West Point has a bugle corps of some type, however I'm not sure of the manufacturer. Also the Texas A&M Aggie Band has a bugle rank in their block band. This bugle rank uses Kanstul "regulation" bugles, aka. valveless bugles.

It's interesting that a sudden (within the past 5 years) resurgence of interest in valveless bugles has occurred. Getzen and Kanstul have started production of standard G bugles with an F tuning slide.

• Like 1

I hate that no corps wants to try mixed-key-brasslines. Such hypocrisy. The closest we've gotten is a flugel or piccolo trumpet feature now and again.

"Hey we need to expand the instrumentation with Synths and Woodwinds! It gives designers and performers more opportunity!"

"Cool! What about designing shows with G horns back in?"

"THAT'S TOO DIFFICULT!!!"

• Like 2