toc vs the rest

I was faced with that choice this year. Austin (my town) had a non TOC show on Thursday, and I skipped it in favor of driving three hours to a TOC show in Houston on Friday. Both were equally priced ($45/ticket).

Honestly, the determining factor for me was that Phantom and Cavies were in Houston, and not in Austin. Had they both come to Austin, I probably would have gone there instead. I'm glad I went to Houston, though - I was thoroughly entertained by all 8 corps. (yes, *them* too)

Mike

I drove 4 1/2 hours each way to the Open Class show in Paw Paw (review here) instead of watching the Atlanta regional webcast (which includes the ToC members, of course) that I had paid for via my FN subscription. But I knew I was all but guaranteed to see the ToC in Finals, for which I already had a ticket.

I drove 4 1/2 hours each way to the Open Class show in Paw Paw (review here) instead of watching the Atlanta regional webcast (which includes the ToC members, of course) that I had paid for via my FN subscription. But I knew I was all but guaranteed to see the ToC in Finals, for which I already had a ticket.

The question from the OP didn't pose those possibilities.

Obviously as you posed it, most are going to pick TOC.

But in reality, the choice is usually a regional with everyone vs. TOC-only (e.g. Minneapolis or Rockford, San Antonio or Houston, Allentown or East Rutherford). I'd pick the regional event for any of those as I'd want to see Scouts, BK, Crossmen, Academy, Surf, etc.

Obviously as you posed it, most are going to pick TOC.

But in reality, the choice is usually a regional with everyone vs. TOC-only (e.g. Minneapolis or Rockford, San Antonio or Houston, Allentown or East Rutherford). I'd pick the regional event for any of those as I'd want to see Scouts, BK, Crossmen, Academy, Surf, etc.

Agreed, rhetorically weak. Regional over TOC 8 days a week.

Agreed, rhetorically weak. Regional over TOC 8 days a week.

Agreed, that would be easy. You'd see everyone versus top 8. Plus you can go to the bathroom during shows you dislike. Let's rephrase the question, then: One day of Allentown (i.e. half the corps, more or less evenly split in terms of rankings) versus ToC top 8?

I'd probably still go with ToC, not because I'd necessarily love all the shows, but because the performance level is generally going to be higher. Sure, I was more entertained watching 2012 Jersey Surf than Cavies, but custom designing the lineup is presumably not part of the hypothetical :-)

Another factor is the more fan-friendly sectionals, etc. that occur at ToC shows. I found those to be quite entertaining as well.

While I used to think that more drum corps = better show, I passed on a regional for ToC, as I can't really handle 8-10 hour shows anymore, even if it is indoors. And while I'm thinking of going to the San Antonio next year for the air conditioned comfort, I'm likely only going to do the top 12.

I think Allentown might have it better split up the way they do. Marathon regionals are sometimes just more tiring.

Mike

• Like 1

If you some strange reason, on the same day in the same city, there was a TOC show and a "everybody else" show. Which one would you go to?

Tournament of Champions show. Without a doubt: they are the best corps, and the most bang for my buck. Does DCI schedule other shows against TOC shows?