The Safety of Children.

I have no problem with people wanting to believe what they believe. It was the juicy opportunity of 150 of today's youth in one spot to descend on and convince how they're living life wrong if they don't have JEEAASUS! in their lives that turned me off. I don't like hari krishna's coming to my door either for the same reason. Same difference.

• Like 3

ADMINS...Please hold your fire and read this before closing. It's not an attempt at the same thread!

I was getting ready to post a response to the lady who's daughter was left on finals night when the topic was closed. While I understand and agree with the admins' decision to close what should be a one on one discussion between the parent and the corps' administration, I also think this is a topic that in a more general setting is worth some discussion because lets be honest, drum corps is by in large a somewhat shady activity. While I'm not going to speak on the subject of the last thread (the kid who was left), I would like to open up a different discussion..particularly the behavior of drum corps organizations while on tour.

At one point in the other thread someone had mentioned that on finals not a very "school's out" midset is taken. I'd challenge further that the entire tour is very "schools out". Everything from bus talent shows where nudity is applauded, alcoholic activity (rarely monitored), staff and members having smokes together, staff using fould language with the members in a very casual manner, sexual activity...the list can go on and on. We can put the blinders on or we can face the fact that this type of "schools out" behavior is simply a reality within the activity.

I'm not sure what the answer is but what I do worry about at times is how long it will take before a parent goes further than any and reports an incident that could shut the whole activity down due to legalities. I for one don't want to see that happen to an activity that despite this type of behavior, can also be a very good educational experience for a kid. But for what KIND of kid might be the real question.

Lets be upfront about something. This "behavior" (as listed above for example) should not be too surprising because what this activity does is makes a kid grow up very fast. "Kids" are forced to become "adults" before they legally are one (or at least the ones who march before turning 18). Some kids are already mature enough in their upbringing to be able to handle that kind of environment without making unwise decisions that can hurt themselves. Others....often not ready for that much personal responsibility can simply fold under the pressure (including peer pressure) and destroy themselves.

Again, I'm not sure what the answer is. Though I'll throw this out there as a thought. MIGHT it be time to not only put an age limit at the top...but the bottom as well? While it's rare to see many (if any) corps with members under 18 (these days) in the elite corps, technically a kid can march as early as he or she wants as long as the corps offers the contract and the parents sign the dotted line. Maybe it's time for an 18-21 (22 bonus) rule to be put in place for World Class corps and then perhaps an 18 top on Open Class and let THOSE corps be the training grounds for the younger members...more OFFICIALLY. Separating the adult and child tables might not only be appropriate for Thanksgiving supper but the drum corps activity as well. Within these boundaries, World Class corps (with nobody under the age of 18) can continue to function with minimal supervision and a more "honor rollish" type of "make your own decisions at your own risk" type of standard while the Open Class corps with nobody over 18 a more high school like supervision (chaparones, stricter rules etc.).

Thoughts?

Just some thoughts, because I do think the activity toes a very dangerous line at times that could hurt the activity or at the very least some individual corps if we are not careful about what we do.

I'm glad I marched when I did.

Helped me get away from hearing this nanny-nonsense for a few summers.

• Like 1

I have been out of the loop the past week since Finals (with starting back at my teaching job). What was the initial incident that got the first thread started? (assuming I can be told without this thread closing)

Member of a corps got left behind and a parent voiced concern about how it could happen or does it happen more often. That thread was closed after a bit and this one opened.

And to go with Guardling w/o getting of the DC Forums. How do corps handle members/staff/volunteers/whoever when they come across something that goes against their beliefs? Thought of that with the gay community stance since I have both extremes (and everything in between) in my current church...... Nah... stopping there...

Member of a corps got left behind and a parent voiced concern about how it could happen or does it happen more often. That thread was closed after a bit and this one opened.

And to go with Guardling w/o getting of the DC Forums. How do corps handle members/staff/volunteers/whoever when they come across something that goes against their beliefs? Thought of that with the gay community stance since I have both extremes (and everything in between) in my current church...... Nah... stopping there...

Hmmm...I wonder how DCI would be without the gay influence?

The answer: probably non-existent. ;)

• Like 2

I have no problem with people wanting to believe what they believe. It was the juicy opportunity of 150 of today's youth in one spot to descend on and convince how they're living life wrong if they don't have JEEAASUS! in their lives that turned me off. I don't like hari krishna's coming to my door either for the same reason. Same difference.

If someone came in and just started telling everyone how they are wrong that would be a problem. Can you please show me where on the Box 7 website they state that is what they intend to do?

You are taking the bad behavior that some have exhibited in the name of religion and assigning it to all who have a religious affiliation. I could take the same logic and say that anyone who is a teacher should not be allowed to volunteer because some teachers wind up sexually abusing kids. How about we accept with open arms anyone who wants to help out and make sure we kick out those who actually do something wrong.

-kg

Weren't most of us in Corps at some point? Why is this discussion so narrow minded then? We all know what went on during corps, it wasn't that bad and we all survived and thrived! Sure there was a bit of misbehaving- but most of the time on tour we were so exhausted we couldn't focus on much else besides wondering if we had enough clean underwear to make it to laundry day, dragging ourselves to the chuck truck before the food ran out, and when we might get some sleep next. On free days our big misadventures consisted of raiding the host schools lost and found for interesting sweatshirts and eating a meal that had protein and wasn't cold pasta salad.

Was there sex? Yes, but the people that I knew of having sex during tour were having sex off of tour.

Was there drinking? I believe the over 21 year olds (all 3 of them) may have had a drink at dinner on free days but that is it other than finals night when someone on the drum bus procured a bottle of Boones Farm. (And that is punishment in and of itself. )

All in all- we were there to do something real, important and inspiring. We knew that doing this thing that we loved WAS the fun and we didn't need to look for it in rebelling or committing felonies. We weren't just looking for a way to get out from under our parents supervision.

This activity isn't broke so why even DISCUSS bringing a religious organization in to "fix" it? By far, drum corps turns out more well adjusted high achieving kids than I've ever met in other programs. Kids DO grow up on tour- and it seems like that works out for the best.

This discussion started because a member was allegedly left behind at finals, yes? The year before I marched G-men, one of our members (sorry Joel) got off the bus during a middle of the night stop. Now most people sleep through those stops so there wasn't any way to do headcounts or do a "buddy check" before the corp took off. Unbeknownst to anyone, one of this member got off the bus and sat on a park bench- and then fell asleep. Long story short- we flew him out to meet the corps the next day. No parents sued, no pearls were clutched and he finished the season and came back the next year. People realized that sometimes things happen and that no one was being negligent here- every one did their best but this "corp thing" is complex and in many ways worse than herding sheep- things will slip every once in a while. I'd sure hate to see helicopter parenting ruin this activity.

• Like 1

a suggestion: if, as a parent of a new or potential drum corps member, you are concerned about your child, then volunteer. my youngest son, at 14, was the youngest member of of his corps during their first season. i checked in, went to shows that were close and hopped on for the last couple of weeks of tour. his second year i was even more involved (because i enjoyed it and wanted to help). i know not everyone can spend many days or weeks on tour but contact the corps and find out what you CAN do. it helps the corps and it helps you.

Edited by ForteParent
  • Like 1

Long story short- we flew him out to meet the corps the next day. No parents sued, no pearls were clutched and he finished the season and came back the next year. People realized that sometimes things happen and that no one was being negligent here- every one did their best but this "corp thing" is complex and in many ways worse than herding sheep- things will slip every once in a while. I'd sure hate to see helicopter parenting ruin this activity.

so%2Bmuch%2Bwin.jpg

Totally Agree!