The Safety of Children.

But can be charged as adults!

This thread has trended more about the maturity of the person rather than legal status. However, as AlexL pointed out, being 16 brings about the legality of several "adult" behaviors including drinking in 29 states (guardian permitting).

Being charged as an adult at that age is possible, but it is not the norm. Most under-18's are part of the juvenile justice system and all that it entails.

Probably brings up another point. At what point does a "child" take some responsibility?

In the terms of this thread, I don't think anyone is arguing that the members are free to act irresponsibly. Of course the members should be responsible. The point is, though, that for under-18's, the corps has an added layer of LEGAL obligation because they accept minors into their corps. The kids do not get a free pass...but the corps doesn't either.

First and foremost, people need to be responsible for their own lives. If they're not mature enough to handle themselves away from home, then they don't need to be in drum corps. And if they're not on their way to being mostly responsible for themselves by age 14 (which I think is a bit old), then someone's not put them on a path to be successful in life. Excuses be ######! People need to quit #####ing about things being other people's responsibilities and instead get their own house in order. Because if you can't manage yourself, you're probably not going to get anyone else to have any luck trying to do it for you.

• Like 1

Just a few thoughts: A) This isn't something new, these issues have been around a very long time, B) How corps manage these issues and the culture they create varies greatly from corps to corps and aren't necessarily correlated to how they place, and C) I wonder if this is an area where Box 7 ministries could make an impact in terms of staff and members taking personal responsibility for their actions.

No way is that a good Idea! :doh:

• Like 3

Parents should think of drum corps as the same as sending their kid off to college. If they aren't ready for it, then don't do it, regardless of the group.

I know corps have a legal responsibility for minors, but it's also not the corps staff/admin's job to babysit every person. One of most important lessons you can learn from marching is how to be independent and manage your time like a beast. If something goes wrong, Rule #9 applies.

• Like 1

Parents should think of drum corps as the same as sending their kid off to college. If they aren't ready for it, then don't do it, regardless of the group.

I know corps have a legal responsibility for minors, but it's also not the corps staff/admin's job to babysit every person. One of most important lessons you can learn from marching is how to be independent and manage your time like a beast. If something goes wrong, Rule #9 applies.

100% right. When your "child" goes to college you hope that they make good choices and decisions. A lot of them don't. You can see them failing out from not going to class because they are staying up late for one reason or another. Sex, drugs and rock and roll are still part of the college experience. Maybe it isn't rock and roll anymore but hip hop. Drum Corp seems much more structured time-wise but I am sure there is always time to get into trouble if that is what they want to do.

Glenn

No way is that a good Idea! :doh:

I'm curious, why would that not be a good idea? If Box 7 wound up helping a few people find a better path would that be such a bad thing?

I had no idea what Box 7 was until I saw it mentioned in this thread. I looked up their website and read what they were all about. In a nutshell they are a Christian organization asking people to sign up as a volunteer and go on tour with a corps. While volunteering they can openly live their faith and support members who want to live theirs. As long as members are not being forced to attend a bible study I don't have a problem with this at all.

Do you object because you don't think it would help anybody or is it the whole religion aspect that has you concerned?

-kg

• Like 2

I know a lot of lives that have changed DRASTICALLY while in drum corps. That being said, it is no different than college.

This is a touring performing arts activity/organization - not a high school marching band. You have to treat it that way. You have to treat them like professionals. Like professionals, if they break the law, that's their fault. That's the member's ultimate decision.