The Safety of Children.

because people don't need religion to be responsible. Acting like a religious group can come in and provide a moral compass is misguided at best (and potentially much worse, considering some of the stories in the news the last few years)

AGREE

If members of like mind want to get together on tour and do bible study or share in their religion that's great, corps should attempt to reasonably accommodate them. With that said, drum corps isn't summer church camp, and TOO many times have we seen people who claim a higher moral standard based on their religion end up failing miserably in their own application of said standards. Not to mention, if a corps were to bring someone with a Christian background are they going to screen every member's religious leanings to ensure they bring in a Rabbi, Buddhist monk and anyone else necessary to ensure they're not being discriminatory? Volunteer or not it's a bad idea.

AGREE

If members of like mind want to get together on tour and do bible study or share in their religion that's great, corps should attempt to reasonably accommodate them. With that said, drum corps isn't summer church camp, and TOO many times have we seen people who claim a higher moral standard based on their religion end up failing miserably in their own application of said standards. Not to mention, if a corps were to bring someone with a Christian background are they going to screen every member's religious leanings to ensure they bring in a Rabbi, Buddhist monk and anyone else necessary to ensure they're not being discriminatory? Volunteer or not it's a bad idea.

The possible red flag I saw was "While volunteering they can openly live their faith and support members who want to live theirs". All I say is had an aunt who was with a group of Christians who believed "living their faith" was condemning those who disagreed (including other Christians). The underlined part is just too vague in what might happen if a conflict occurs.

Forget religion for a second. Every volunteer has an agenda; i.e. a purpose for being there. Therefore your logic that people with agendas "just get in the way" is a bit flawed. The only way a volunteer could get in the way would be to interrupt a rehearsal or if they harassed members in an effort to push their agenda. In that case yes you would need to remove them.

Think of it this way. Lets say a volunteer who happens to love the Chicago Cubs and Drum Corps goes on tour and works in the kitchen. Every day he is wearing a Cubs jersey and hat and just loves to talk baseball. During his interaction with some of the members he finds out some of them are Cubs fans as well. Then while serving meals as he sees the Cubs fans come through the line he fills them in on the score of last nights game and any memorable plays that occurred. The Cubs fans appreciate the updates and are glad to spend a minute or two on a topic other than drum corps.

You being a White Sox fan can't stand the site of of that blasted Cubs hat and you cringe when you overhear the conversations he has with other Cubs fans. Should that volunteer be removed from tour for being a distraction? Does having a strong identity with anything above and beyond drum corps preclude a person from being an effective and valuable volunteer?

Another question: Lets say a group of drum corps loving psychiatrists decide that they want to volunteer and help out on tour. Their thinking is that along with serving the corps they could also make themselves available to provide counseling to members if needed. Would they also fail the agenda test and their offer to volunteer rejected?

-kg

I agree every volunteer has a purpose, but that doesn't translate into having an agenda. The vast majority of drum corps volunteers are too busy running around with their heads cut off and too exhausted by the end of the day to give a passing thought to pursuing any kind of agenda. On the other hand a volunteer who's sole purpose is to seek out opportunities to offer moral counseling would be on constant prowl with a raised eyebrow and IMO a constant nuisance. Morality is a hugely subjective issue (rivaled only by DCI judging) and as a parent I would have major concerns about how their sense of morality jives with my own.

I just visited the home page for Box 7 Ministries and to be honest threw up in my mouth a little. Seems to me just the kind of assuming self righteous narrow minded crap I would want my kid to have nothing to do with.

• Like 2

AGREE

If a Rabbi, Buddhist, Monk, Wiccan or Atheist wants to go on tour as a volunteer by driving vehicles, serving meals, sewing uniforms and helping out then by all means they should. The more help the corps receive the better off they will be. A Rabbi might wear a yamaka and thus identify himself as being Jewish. If a member seeks him out for guidance because they realize that he is a Rabbi is that a bad thing?

Without a doubt if the actions of a volunteer create a disturbance they should be removed. What is not OK is to prohibit someone from volunteering solely because their religious/spiritual views might be evident and offend someone by just being there.

-kg

I just visited the home page for Box 7 Ministries and to be honest threw up in my mouth a little. Seems to me just the kind of assuming self righteous narrow minded crap I would want my kid to have nothing to do with.

And the Box 7 folks are the narrow minded ones? Perhaps I'll make a donation to them in your name.

I think what they are trying to do is pretty cool. I don't see any evidence that they are cramming religion down everyone's throats. They just want to be there to offer guidance to those who seek it out. I fail to see it as anything but a win/win.

-kg

• Like 4

Sounds like a pretty good Dada description right there. We are talking about drum corps stuff, aren't we? Or are we being intolerant of other people's views, such as, those who want to life out a faith filled life - the nerve of these people!

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

I have been out of the loop the past week since Finals (with starting back at my teaching job). What was the initial incident that got the first thread started? (assuming I can be told without this thread closing)

And the Box 7 folks are the narrow minded ones? Perhaps I'll make a donation to them in your name.

I think what they are trying to do is pretty cool. I don't see any evidence that they are cramming religion down everyone's throats. They just want to be there to offer guidance to those who seek it out. I fail to see it as anything but a win/win.

-kg

would love to know their stance on the gay community...which there are many many many in our activity ( and far from just guard members, if anyone actually believe its just in guard ) Im all for spiritual need and if a kid needs help ( which many staff, piers and volunteers usually do step in to talk and help ) BUT to come in and point fingers, preaching 1 point of view, esp[ecially on that subject, NO! Ive seen the damage haters have done to some kids and twisted theories........not that they would do this.......just sayin

the idea can be great for all that choose to be a part of BUT Ive also seen the best ideas go bad.FAST...

Edited by GUARDLING