The Safety of Children.

And for goodness sake, would someone please change the title of this thread?!? They're not children if they're old enough to march in corps (save BDC)!

From dci.org/about -

72 percent are full-time college students
. Means that 28% aren't, and, in fact, are children.

Mike

From dci.org/about - . Means that 28% aren't, and, in fact, are children.

Mike

Just because they aren't "full time college students" doesn't make them minors.

Look, it's an adult activity. If your kid is ready, send 'em. Ask questions. Figure out if the fit is right.

So a 16 or 17 year-old is a child? Really?!?

A child to me is someone 14 and under (even though 12-14 year-olds usually don't consider themselves that at all).

Agreed. Plus some could be 18 and not in college or a senior in HS.

At 16 kids can drive, are often pretty independent (i know i was, especially when i had jobs that kept me out after midnight), and in most states theyre above the age of consent (addressing the 'sex on tour' issue).

• Like 1

So a 16 or 17 year-old is a child? Really?!?

A child to me is someone 14 and under (even though 12-14 year-olds usually don't consider themselves that at all).

Legally, yes a 16 or 17 year old is a child, or perhaps better phrased minor.And you're right about 12-14 year olds not thinking they are children: my 12 year old niece thinks she's grown up because she goes with her aunt for pedicures. On a more serious note, I have known 12 year olds who have had to shoulder parenting responsibilities due to addicted or absentee parents, and yes they rise to the occasion, but their lack of maturity often expresses itself in other ways. They are still kids, no matter how mature they appear. Also maturity can be deceiving. How many honor student/athletes/role models get in trouble for stupid mistakes that have consequences for a life time? When dealing with young people, even if there were not legal ramifications, we still need to err on the side of caution. This does not mean we have to be over protective or treat them like small children, and kids need the freedom to grow, but we can't forget they are still kinds, legally and in most cases emotionally.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

Legally, yes.

But can be charged as adults!

This thread has trended more about the maturity of the person rather than legal status. However, as AlexL pointed out, being 16 brings about the legality of several "adult" behaviors including drinking in 29 states (guardian permitting).

But can be charged as adults!

This thread has trended more about the maturity of the person rather than legal status. However, as AlexL pointed out, being 16 brings about the legality of several "adult" behaviors including drinking in 29 states (guardian permitting).

They can be charged as adults if they commit murder and perhaps rape.

The thread is about the corps' responsibilities regarding the safety of its younger members. If something serious happened and a corps was taken into court by a parent, the maturity of the child would never negate the responsibilities of the corps and the parents good faith in the corps would be a given, even if the corps had a horrible reputation (my guess is that none of them do). Chances are the minor's maturity would not even be admissible in court. Also, the corps would not have any rights as legal guardians in any state, so drinking would never be permitted unless a parents is a member of staff or a chaperon.

• Like 1

Probably brings up another point. At what point does a "child" take some responsibility? Perhaps, and I am going out on a limb here, there may be a life lesson in here somewhere? I mean really...the blame starts usually by looking into a mirror rather than blaming other people. We let people younger than 18 fly planes, drives cars and good lord tanks in past wars. Perhaps, we need to start allowing "children" start becoming adults earlier so that stupid little things can be corrected before something truly bad happens later because they never learned the lesson earlier in life? Hmm?

• Like 2

Hi,

I am pretty new to this forum but not new to loving Drum Corps. Sadly I never marched. My daughter also never marched Corps even though she had an opportunity to do so. She is now 22 and a senior in college. We attended DCI finals together in Indy and had a great time. She did not march corps because when she went to camp she did not feel like she fit in with most of the other people that were in her section. I wanted her to march but I respected her decision and I think it was the right one for her. That is a decision that has to be made by the parents and the young adults before joining any organization.

As for this topic. You mean 16 to 22 year old young adults have sex, drink, cuss, and smoke. Tell me it isn't true. :rolleyes: Visit any high school or college campus to see more of the same. Sure the corps have to keep things under control but they cannot watch them 24 hours a day. They have to be able to make the right decisions to do the right thing. No matter where they are they can get into trouble. All you can do as a parent is bring up the best way that you can and help them try to make good decisions but there comes a time when they have to make those decisions for themselves.

Glenn

• Like 4