Why did that corps play THAT SHOW?

The source material was rock and roll but that show had a jazz arrangement that was firmly in the Blue Devil's wheelhouse.

agreed, it just didnt work for me. My broad statement about rock shows is just a personal thing with me. I am not a fan.

Blue Knights 2001 - I think this corps is still recovering from this show.

The Academy 2008 - That show was just way too hard.

Cadets 2006 - I'm not a fan of sequel shows or shows referencing the previous season.

Cadets 2008 - Talented corps, but that design could have been better.

Cascades 2009 - We know you were coming back from a year off, but don't do it with a show that was designed for an 18th place corps to move up. I loved their 2009 show, but it was designed for a more talented corps.

Crossmen 2009 - It was Twilight. Plain and simple.

Phantom Regiment 2009 - No.

Madison Scouts 2009 - Design wasn't up to par, and the drill was difficult to clean.

Spirit 2009 - The rest of the thread pretty much covered it.

Cavaliers 2012 - I think they did their best working with what they had.

Troopers 2010 - Same thing about Cadets 2005. "Oh we have a target on our backs, we're WANTED." Yeah we get it, and then you tried to do the whole "exploring different kinds of wanting things" which didn't work so then you just changed it to a "light vs dark" show. I thought this was the red headed stepchild show for this corps until...

Troopers 2012 - Yeah... I hope this corps can get it together and do something on par with Madison the past couple years.

Surprised all the rock haters haven't mentioned

1994 Glassmen...Moody Blues with big balls

The strangest show I had ever seen up to that point..

• Like 1

Surprised all the rock haters haven't mentioned

1994 Glassmen...Moody Blues with big balls

The strangest show I had ever seen up to that point..

I think our eyes were still recovering from seeing Spaceman Spiff in finals the previous year....

• Like 1

Madison Scouts 2009 only had ONE GIANT PROBLEM with it.

"Hey let's do a superhero show!"

"AWESOME! Who's the villain?"

"...the what?"

I actually auditioned for this corps and would've been happy to march with them. The show design would've been disappointing, but I love Madison.

Heh - 91 Cadets. All I can think of is hearing people sing "peanut butter on a slice of bread"

Is this sung to Prelude Fugue and Riffs? Oh my god. This reminds me of someone mentioning "Get off the ####### bus" sung to On the Waterfront. (I think it was actually a Phantom Regiment story?)

I didn't really like the show at first, but on multiple viewings it really grew on me. It's more of a collage of great American composers; I appreciated it more after learning about the composers themselves.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

I'm going to take this as shows that seem very uncharacteristic of a corps::

2004 Cadets (Jethro Tull)

1995 Crossmen (School for Scandal)

1993 Vanguard (Walton)

1996 Vangaurd (La Mer)

2007 Cavaliers (Billy Joel)

2001 Boston (Harmonium)

Oh my, I loved me some SCV 1996, especially after that Not the Nutcracker show in 1995...

Agree about Crossmen 1995's School for Scandal though...

And for all the Suncoast Shows mentioned. I loved Suncoast. The original works that was a reflection of their home - Genius. Maybe not perfectly executed but I loved that they took me on a 10 minute vacation every show.

Loved every Suncoast Sound show of the 80s, especially 84+; really liked my Fair Lady... That show had a sophisticated sounding arrangement, what did they call it? "Sun jazz"....

Really enjoyed the show though... thumbup.gif

Sorry to see that so many people are calling it "THAT SHOW" though... music.gif

• Like 1

Freelancers- 1985

That's where they got their ever popular Bells number that they replayed a couple of times... blink.gifsatisfied.gif

Immanuel * The Minotaur * The Island * The Forest * Bells

The music was good...it was the visual program that was such a head-scratcher for me.

And I was going to post earlier....but Marwan beat me to Suncoast 87....first one I thought of!

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'll throw out 93 BK.

I liked BK '93 ok, I'll throw out BK 2001

Blue Toons - Cartoon * Black Market Juggler * An American in Paris

Loved every Suncoast Sound show of the 80s, especially 84+; really liked my Fair Lady... That show had a sophisticated sounding arrangement, what did they call it? "Sun jazz"....

Really enjoyed the show though... thumbup.gif

Sorry to see that so many people are calling it "THAT SHOW" though... music.gif

It's about time a corps revisited the music of Lerner and Loewe. The only corps to do an entire production based on their songbook (to my knowledge) has been Suncoast Sound and Pioneer.