DCI Attendance Figures Released

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=777ac5ef-235a-4f86-896d-70392b372660

Nearly 18,000 PAID at Finals, it clearly states that credentialed/wristbanded attendance was over the top of that. 12,000 for Semis is pretty nice as well.

Over 40,000 in the theatres for Quarterfinals also!

Coupled with record crowd in Atlanta and at Open Class Finals in Michigan City...

Nice job DCI!

Edited by Lead
  • Like 5

So with the corps members that were in attendance with their FREE wrist bands and other "guests" I'm sure the Saturday night crowd was well over 20,000.

The most impressive figure however is the 40,000 in attendance at the movie theaters on Thursday night. That's not too far from DOUBLE last years figure.

ps Sign the extension for LOS ASAP!

• Like 3

Nearly 18,000 PAID at Finals, it clearly states that credentialed/wristbanded attendance was over the top of that. 12,000 for Semis is pretty nice as well.

Coupled with record crowd in Atlanta and at Open Class Finals in Michigan City...

Nice job DCI!

I attended a theater for QF and thought it was excellent. It's interesting that more people paid to see drum corps for that one event (40k), than paid for all three days at Indy (36k).

I have always thought that drum corps plays really well on TV. That's how I first discovered it - and I couldn't stop watching. I'm sure it's been gone over and over (and may be a Catch-22 for DCI), but I don't see why one of the 500 cable networks can't pick it up and sell advertising targeted to the millions of band kids out there. Maybe the money / viewership just isn't there - or DCI would have to give up too much control.

Nice job DCI!

Great news!

Finals night attendance slightly up, overall attendance (across 3 nights) slightly down.

36617 in 2011

36494 in 2012

Great news on the theater show though.

So with the corps members that were in attendance with their FREE wrist bands and other "guests" I'm sure the Saturday night crowd was well over 20,000.

The most impressive figure however is the 40,000 in attendance at the movie theaters on Thursday night. That's not too far from DOUBLE last years figure.

ps Sign the extension for LOS ASAP!

The data has been posted here recently: the last couple of years have been around 38K for the prelims movie theater event. This year represents a few percent increase, not a doubling.

• Like 1

Can we get someone to list the numbers for FINALS NIGHT ONLY for the past ten years or more? 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, etc.

Thanks!

Finals night attendance slightly up, overall attendance (across 3 nights) slightly down.

36617 in 2011

36494 in 2012

Great news on the theater show though.

But since a finals night ticket is double the prelims ticket it means a nice financial improvement...especially coupled with the theater money. :thumbup:

When you factor in the very weak economy I'm guessing DCI is THRILLED with these numbers.

IS this a good number? How many screens was it playing on? I thought that number increased dramatically as well. The success, from a theatre owner's perspective, is how many tickets sold per screen (40,000/x.) At $18 per ticket, that amounts to $720K gross. That's nice scratch...but when the overhead and theatres' take is removed, who knows what DCI walked away with?

I attended in King of Prussia, PA and the theatre was not at capacity but it was an excellent crowd. I also saw the Akron show this year at a theatre in RI and there weren't 10 people there. So I'm sure the fluctuation is pretty significant.

Still, in the absence of the PBS/ESPN broadcast, it's a nice way to get exposure for the activity and, to the extent that it didn't cost DCI anything in the end, it's a better outcome than the broadcasts.

Edited by Phillygwm
  • Like 1