DCI Attendance Figures Released

:spitting:

that is kind of telling, isn't it?

I'm not sure quoting Pasadena figures is the right way to go though. If DCI was held there several years in a row, attendance would likely decline. That's not even factoring in corps that wouldn't make the trip (I know, I know, different discussion completely).

That stadium in Pasadena was a giant crap-hole too. While I hope DCI goes back to California soon, I won't bother going if they do it at the Rose Bowl again. I'll take Lucas Oil over that dump any day of the week.

• Like 1

glad to see it went up slightly.

there is still two things, IMO to discuss:

it's not up more. Some of that is economy yes, but venue also has to be in the discussion.

and DCI by not streaming finals online is pissing money away.

• Like 2

Agreed, not streaming finals is just leaving money on the table. Those who go in person are still going to go. Charge $20 for a one night deal. Just like boxing. Its a no brainer.

I'd like to see DCI post figures regarding FN. How many subscribe?

Heck, make three additional FN tiers

- for another $35 you get HD finals multi cam live stream video and audio with commentary from Pitts, or

- for another $20 you get steaming audio, or

- For another $10 you get finals live stream with commentary from Roddy, Dulucia and Rita Moreno

Congratulations to DCI on the good attendance figures. Now maybe some DCP'ers will stop insisting certain corps and programs are killing DCI.

Edited by jmc5682
  • Like 2

i had this conversation this morning with my ex wife :)

Sigh. STOP YELLING AT PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

It's the NFL blackout rule.

And, to a degree, it makes sense. Within a certain radius, you either go to the stadium, or you miss out.

On the other hand...

DCI by not streaming finals online is pissing money away.

I love Big, Live, and Loud, but this year I had the opportunity to go to Indy, so obviously I was not there. However, I think Thursday and Friday could be live streamed and have finals in the theater on Saturday. I would think it would generate a much larger crowd due to the fact it is on a Saturday night and it is finals. I know length of time might be an issue, but theaters broadcast Wagner operas live from the Met which are about as long as finals. It would not keep people going to see DCI live either and if anything might increase DVD/Blu-Ray sales. It would also be great exposure for DCI. One thing I can say after seeing finals in Foxboro (94/2005) and in Indy this past year, DCI knows how to do finals!

Here's why that won't work: As stated better by others, Thursday is a dead night at movie theatres. Assuming that 66 people showed up for Quarters at a given theatre, that's probably 35-45 more than they'd get for something else. Plus concessions, etc.

Saturdays are a whole different ballgame. If we assume that more people would attend on a Saturday -- even 100 per theatre -- they still could better utilize it by showing something else. Not to mention that DCI will tie up the theatre for the entire night, versus 2 hours or so.

However, if we accept as fact that theatres have no better option on Thursday than to screen Quarterfinals, why not open it up the whole day? Not that I'd take the day off to show up at 10 AM for the first OC corps, but it might allow DCI to charge more and theatres might see churn throughout the day, especially in areas where there the local corps might be performing in the afternoon. Perhaps satellite time makes that cost prohibitive?

Edited by Phillygwm

Skywhopper, since you've obviously been tracking this, what is the trending on prelims and semis attendance? Have prelims been decreasing since they started the movie theater thing? Have semis been declining since the Fan Network?

I've found very few numbers on those, but here's what I have along with percentages of the corresponding finals numbers:

Quarters/Prelims:

2004: 10,007 tix 45%

2005: ---

2006: 8,871 ATT 42%

2007: 8,966 tix 37%

2008: ---

2009: ---

2010: ---

2011: 6,903 ATT 40%

2012: 6,647 ATT 37%

Semis:

2006: 14,624 ATT 69%

2007: 13,877 tix 57%

2008: ---

2009: ---

2010: ---

2011: 12,351 ATT 71%

2012: 12,027 ATT 67%

So the answer to your questions are yes, Quarters and Semis have been trending down, but there's very little data, and critically no pre-cinema, pre-fan network data (if anyone has any such data, I'd love to find out about it). So, I wouldn't read too much into these data points. It's far too few to be meaningful.

I think the numbers DCI posted last year and this year are something in between complete attendance and paid tickets. They excluded freebies given to corps staff and corps members in their language. They did not exclude other possible freebies or discounts. Plus, if they'd meant "tickets sold" they'd have said "tickets sold".