DCI Attendance Figures Released

I agree it needs work.

Anyone who has been to that stadium in Michigan City knows it's pretty small with a paltry amount of seats on the home side. I'd be interested to know how many of those seats were filled/what the capacity of the home side is.

It's an awesome stadium to play in because it's LOUD. Just not a very big homeside bleacher set.

2800 seats on the home side isn't paltry at all.

• Like 1

I'm not sure quoting Pasadena figures is the right way to go though. If DCI was held there several years in a row, attendance would likely decline. That's not even factoring in corps that wouldn't make the trip (I know, I know, different discussion completely).

That stadium in Pasadena was a giant crap-hole too. While I hope DCI goes back to California soon, I won't bother going if they do it at the Rose Bowl again. I'll take Lucas Oil over that dump any day of the week.

true. but it shows in a region where you have what....40%+ of the corps, and has had finals 3 whopping times in 40 years....yeah I'd say you could run a few more out there and still do better, even in the Rose Bowl. I'd prefer San Diego or NorCal myself.

It's the NFL blackout rule.

And, to a degree, it makes sense. Within a certain radius, you either go to the stadium, or you miss out.

On the other hand...

no offense...but blackout is stupid. given the prices, and the venue issues, you're pissing away money. I know someone that lives an hour away that won't go because of the facility. Right there is say $50 DCI could get streaming they aren't getting now

The two-day attendance total for Open Class events in Michigan City, Ind. (Aug. 6-7) came in at 1,308, up from 1,191 in 2011.

Needs work.

Suggestion: Championship the WEEKEND BEFORE instead of settling for this painfully small Monday/Tuesday audience. No, it doesnt have to be at the big stadium...rent makes that prohibitive anyway.

Whatever....600 people at a Championship contest needs work. You have my suggestion. Discuss :)

Move open class to Indy in a college or high school stadium and the attendance will increase dramatically.

• Like 1

Move open class to Indy in a college or high school stadium and the attendance will increase dramatically.

No, it won't. The facility in Michigan City is amazing because it was designed with drum corps in mind. The city is a fantastic host, and gives the Open Class corps a great home in the summer.

Open Class, regardless of where it is, will never be a great draw. It wasn't in the 80's and it isn't now. Most fans just don't care and won't attend even if it's across the street from their hotel.

• Like 1

Who cares if the average attendance per cinema is down, the over all total is up. The over all finals week attendance at cinemas and LOS is up.

You can add political spin to the figures to suit your "DCI is dying" argument all you like but it won't change the fact that the numbers across the board are up this year.

DCI should ignore the "DCI is dying" movement here on DCP and keep doing what they're doing because it's clearly working.

Who the heck are you? Dan Atchinson? DCI's problem is that they have been ignoring their problems. It isnt all blue skies, balloons, hats & horns for the drum corps activity these days. You are delusional.

No, it won't. The facility in Michigan City is amazing because it was designed with drum corps in mind. The city is a fantastic host, and gives the Open Class corps a great home in the summer.

Open Class, regardless of where it is, will never be a great draw. It wasn't in the 80's and it isn't now. Most fans just don't care and won't attend even if it's across the street from their hotel.

this is not only true but proven time and time again. Even when OC corps are combined with some WC shows the place is empty until right before WC. Im not condoning it BUT it is the way it is for sure.

Blackouts are great. If you wanna ##### and moan about the stadium but you live right down the street....well you aren't much of a fan. Hey LOS isn't perfect, but my love of drumcorps exceeds a slight echo that I don't notice that much because I'm not a cheap ###### and buy the GOOD tickets.

I also believe that attendance at Denver and Pasadena are greater because.....HOLD IT....WAIT FOR IT.... THE CONCERT SIDE OF THE STADIUM HOLDS MORE PEOPLE!!!! The Rose Bowl is one of the three largest stadiums in the US!

Also, as I posted on Facebook. More corps = More parents = more butts in the seats. Divide the attendance at each DCI Finals by the number of corps that participated in championships week. Get back to me with that answer

• Like 1

1990 in Buffalo, big (and enthusiastic) crowd for A/A60 Finals...Railmen were the highlight imho.

It might not be a "big" draw, but if Cavaliers can draw 400 for a REHEARSAL in Orlando on a weeknight, surely a championship can draw more than 600....especially one featuring four of the top 25 corps.

It isnt the venue....its the day of the week.

Saturday PRELIMS/FINALS AM/PM...weekend just prior to DCI week...call it an extended DCI week....Saturday to Saturday....and we'll think up a few more Monday/Tuesday performance opportunities for some or all of the corps.

I will grant you that DCI did an EXTENSIVE D2 tour in years' past, with 10-15 corps per contest, that fairly stated, did not draw. But we are talking about one contest. And its a big one: DCI Finals.

My earlier post/suggestion of having the Open Corps do an East Coast Championship combined with the DCA corps (AL Nationals for both?) didnt get much traction (for obvious reasons already debated on DCP)....but the top DCA corps are a big draw at their traditional venues and the Open Corps would certainly add an overflow/sellout atmosphere to the equation.

One thought: adding WC's to the slate as special guests; but that kinda defeats the point. Why outshine your champion on championship night?

Another thought: having the Open Prelims/Finals as an add-on freebie to the WC ticket packages might get a few more fannies in the seats...then again, it's hard to have a lot of enthusiasm if you dont have any skin in the game...."yay...I'm here, but just because it was free"....however.....

Final thought for comparison: MINI CORPS at DCA IS a freebie and it is a standing room only happening that fills the convention center to the rafters. Free doesnt mean "lame"...Mini Corps is a riot.

it costs DCA for the venue etc, but there must be an ROI in there somewhere, or they wouldnt do it.

Is there an idea here? Could the I&E winners be part of the night's festivities? performing in the concourse, for example? could there be a YEA type workshop as part of the day's activities with comps to the local bands for that event?

This is a tough conversation....25 years worth of ideas and discussion havent made a dent. And i'm not so self absorbed to believe these ideas havent been brought up somewhere before.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 2

I see the good numbers. I just happened to see the bad numbers first and 400 people per screen compared to 66 people per screen is a good relevant question.

66 versus 400 people per screen might normally be a cause for some concern but the 400 is a misleading number. When an event is on 44 screens nationwide, hard core fans will travel long distances to attend. Plus, as others have noted, there's a big difference between 66 on Thursday, which is considered quite good, and 66 on Saturday, which would be a bust.

I'd still expect to see the number of screens drop a bit: if you only had 10 people in your theatre (remember, 66 is an average and there is certainly a big deviation to it) you might think twice. Using my area as an example, if King of Prussia dropped the cinecast, Oaks is 5 minutes away and Plymouth Meeting is 10. It wouldn't be a hardship for a fan to go elsewhere.

Would broadcasting Finals work? Not on 600 screens. You'd probably need a few hundred per screen for a Saturday night. Not that it couldn't be done, but you'd probably be down to 150-200 screens to make it worthwhile for the theatres. But assume you could charge more -- $30-40 per ticket versus $18, perhaps? -- and it could be a winner even if it did cannibalize LOS ticket sales a bit.