Lighting - the next frontier of "staging"

I am not sure why you quoted me then discussed the Survival of DCI. I've never stated that it would not survive.

Actually DCI has survived on three things which are the same three things that will keep it alive.

a.passion

b.love

c.dedication from ALL who are involved.

Passion, Love, and Dedication does not a million plus dollars a year make!

well noted... I had already crossed paths with brasso. So it might be a while.

I'm watching preseason Monday Night Football and the New England Paths have no offense without Tom Brady.

• Like 1

Don't be so " sure " of this however. The Contra was no " scandal " in 1967, as by then almost all of the Drum Corps had the Contra in their brass lines.

He is off by a few years, but there was at least one letter to DCN bemoaning the idea of contras as making the brass too much like a band (someplace on NanciD's great website). Having no internet made those letters the main way for fans to complain.

He is off by a few years, but there was at least one letter to DCN bemoaning the idea of contras as making the brass too much like a band (someplace on NanciD's great website). Having no internet made those letters the main way for fans to complain.

I see what I did now... 1967 another big change happened.

Passion, Love, and Dedication does not a million plus dollars a year make!

You are definitely incorrect on this one and this is definitely not the place to prove you wrong. This is a topic about LIGHTING & STAGING - NOT Stu.

Edited by Kevin Powell

Just saw this was a private conversation so I apologize for a few pages back where I butted in! Oh...I apologize for interrupting here too. Sorry.

• Like 2

Just saw this was a private conversation so I apologize for a few pages back where I butted in! Oh...I apologize for interrupting here too. Sorry.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've been trying to get off the business money speak and keep trying to let everyone know that this is a topic about Lighting and Staging.

Lighting is not even on the table yet and people are complaining about paying for it. This is the romance stage people - dream about it a little, if she is not your type, break up with her, YOU DO NOT have to buy her a ring.

A NEW THREAD IS HERE.

Edited by Kevin Powell
  • Like 1

1) While I am a free-market capitalist in the for-profit world, I have no problems at all when a group of non-profits, or for-profits for that matter, "voluntarily" put together a collective of like businesses to watch out for each other (which is what DCI is supposed to be: a collective). Within this collective, The Scouts, Troopers, Academy, Genesis, 7th Regiment and all other non-G7 corps which are actually ran well in a business sense are getting hurt by the ever expanding requirements placed upon the collective by the G7. Therefore, because of that volunteered shared agreement to watch out for the collective "all" corps should be watching out for "all" corps at least in an oversight capacity. Do I think that the G7 corps should be forced into revenue sharing; Nope, not unless that was agreed upon to begin with. However, if the G7 have to downsize somewhat for the sake of the DCI collective survival in which they, the G7, agreed to watch out for in the first place by voluntarily being a part of that DCI collective, they either need to: a) downsize somewhat to help DCI as a whole; or b) leave the collective if they want to expand in that manner because their expansion is actually hurting all other corps within the collective which are attempting to run sound business plans.

2) As for Teal, Forte, VK, ect... they certainly bear the responsibility for their own demise because they were poorly ran by their Boards and Directors. Should DCI or the G7 bail them out financially; Nope. However, DCI is a collective in which their should have been enough oversight in the first place as to not allow those corps to compete in DCI until they were financially sound enough to accomplish what they wanted to accomplish.

I for one would not mind seeing lighting added to a show. Just so long as it is effectively done. Over use of lighting can destroy a show just as easily as overuse of narration or a soundboard that is too loud.

DCI doesn't need to do a collective business deal so everyone can add lighting. No rule FORCES a corps to add new bells and whistles. If you can't afford them, don't use them. If G7 decides to use them, good for them. If any of the mentioned corps can afford them and decides to use them good for them as well.

But, I would hate to be the corps that invests all the money, time and energy and be the one that goes on first. One may be able to figure out how to use lighting under stadium lights, but you can't block out the sun.

• Like 2

No one else was going to do it so I created a new topic on how to finance all this stuff.

THE NEW THREAD IS HERE.

You are definitely incorrect on this one and this is definitely not the place to prove you wrong. This is a topic about LIGHTING & STAGING - NOT Stu.

I am correct on this; it also takes Diligence, Responsibility, Planning, Oversight, and many other things not "just" Passion, Love, and Dedication to procure over a million dollars a year.