1993 Madison

1999 SCV

1995 Cavs

1998 Cadets

1992 Crossmen

1980 Spirit

1997 Madison

2003 BD

Arguing that the exception disproves the rule is a key indicator of the weakness of that argument.

Depends on how one interprets the statement, Revivals hardly ever work.

There are quite a few instances where revivals work just fine in drum corps. They may or may not place better than the previous iteration, but that's not the criteria I choose to go by when deciding whether or not a show revival works....

Loved Phantom Regiment Spartacus from '81, '82, and 2008. - Revival Works for me.

Loved Phantom Regiment '88 Romeo and Juliet loved Phantom Regiment Juliet 2011 show. Revival worked for me.

Loved The Cavalier's '85 Planets show. Loved The Cavalier '95 Planets show. Loved SCV's 2012 Music of Starry Night show. Revival worked again for me.

Love SCV '88 Phantom of the Opera; liked '89 Revival - Works for me

Loved Madison '91 City of Angels; Loved '92 Revival - Works for me

Loved Cadet's '84 - '94 - '09 WSS shows. - Revival worked for me.

Love '85 Suncoast Florida Suite show - Loved '89 Florida Suite revival - Loved Madison Scouts 2011 musical Homage to that show music... Revival worked...

Love Cadets' '87 Appalachian Spring show, loved SCV '09 Ballet for Martha. The revival worked for me

LOVED Cadets '88 Copland's Symphony #3 show, Loved Crown's '12 show with Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man...

Love Cadet's '89 Les Mis show, curious to see how SCV '13 works

Enjoyed 27th Lancer Crown Imperial and Henry V music. LOVED Star's 89 British Invasion where the theme was taken to the max. Very much enjoyed the revival of that style of music.

I really enjoy every time Porgy and Bess is revived. Can Spirit '84's version of the music be any more different in style than Star '88? How about Bluecoats '98, or even Blue Devils 2004? I mean BD 2004 scored the best, but man Spirit '84 had soul, and Star '89 was haunting. Without revivals, we would have gotten these gems ( In my mind at least)...

The previous poster's mention of only 1 example hardly means that it is the only example of an exception to the revivals don't work hypothesis. I've given lots of examples of where revivals worked and could list many MANY more.

I think the answers we're getting on here come down to personal taste and snark level... smile.gif

Some people want only new shows. Other people want old shows. I just want good, entertaining to me, and cool for the performer to perform (whatever era they may march in) shows.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3

Spirit of Atlanta: Brothers of Bop, Blues In The Night, Old Man River

Santa Clara Vanguard: Festive Overture, Grovers Corners. Oh heck, their entire '85 show!

Blue Devils: Just jazz it up again! Bring back the stylings of the late '70s and '80s. Maybe with some exciting drill and visuals! :tongue:/>/> :thumbup:/>/>

While I appreciate the sentiment, I don't think I'd want to see Tenderland (the whole piece, not just the Simple Gifts segment/push) or Festive done again though I wouldn't mind seeing someone take a crack at Fanfare & Allegro. I would, however, like to see Carolina Crown redo 2-7's '81 show up until Danny Boy (sorry, that's off limits) as Crown Imperial still ranks Numero Uno ('87 SCV 2nd, '04 SCV 3rd) on my list of Most Awesome & Sheer B.A. OTLs Ever-- I can just imagine the running hell CC would do at the beginning, and the chordal park & blow Crown could sustain in the section where 2-7 halted in the asymmetrical arc. A 21st Century version of "New Country" (that was the drum solo, for those that weren't around then) would let the Percussion section have some fun, especially the front ensemble.

Edited by TRacer

I'm thinking a little old school Troopers might be nice, but with a modern twist....

But in all honesty, I'll take any drum corps show as long as it hits me in the heart a certain way. It doesn't have to be old school, or new school, or any school. It can be as uplifting as SCV's beautiful tribute to Martha Graham, or as brutal as 2008 Spartacus. It can be as delightfully intriguing as BD's Risking Absurdity or as absurdly funny as mid-80's Velvet Knights. There is good stuff in drum corps of every era to bring us together and make us all remember that we are part of a very rare breed of pageantry performance. We spend a lot of time arguing all kinds of silly things, but that's because we love it so very deeply.

So, revival, or simply vibrant - it doesn't matter. Flops happen, good shows happen, it doesn't matter. We keep marching on. That DOES matter.

SCV 1992 "Fiddler"

I hope I didn't skip over where someone else has mentioned. If so, oh well, it is worth mentioning twice!!!

Edited by ibexpercussion
  • Like 1

I'm thinking a little old school Troopers might be nice, but with a modern twist....

But in all honesty, I'll take any drum corps show as long as it hits me in the heart a certain way. It doesn't have to be old school, or new school, or any school. It can be as uplifting as SCV's beautiful tribute to Martha Graham, or as brutal as 2008 Spartacus. It can be as delightfully intriguing as BD's Risking Absurdity or as absurdly funny as mid-80's Velvet Knights. There is good stuff in drum corps of every era to bring us together and make us all remember that we are part of a very rare breed of pageantry performance. We spend a lot of time arguing all kinds of silly things, but that's because we love it so very deeply.

So, revival, or simply vibrant - it doesn't matter. Flops happen, good shows happen, it doesn't matter. We keep marching on. That DOES matter.

Looks like you're getting your wish. ;)

Looks like you're getting your wish. ;)

:whistle::winky:

I'm very excited about the recent developments in Casper!