DCA Annapolis Predictions

I predict our car will have a lot less cold weather gear than at Rochester. weather.com has low of 71 and high of 85 for next weekend. :worthy:

Rochester ranges from 84 down to 59.....

I would just like to make mention of all the Empire talk. I have seen a lot of nay sayers on this post, and will do my best to clear the air. Empire has spent this year a bit other focused. We are still competitive and love competing agains our DCA compadres. But Dave Bruni is trying to get Drum Corps out to the layman who may have never seen anything like this. He also spent time introducing All-age Drum Corps to the kids (especially age outs) in DCI, who don't know there is a place for them after finals. For those of you who doubt, keep your eye out the next few years, you may be surprised to see where the Empire Statesmen pop up next. What courage and vision on David's part for sure

Although I LOVE to compete, nothing can compare with our trip to DCI Finals in Indy. I aged out way too many years to count, and it was a first for me to be on that championship field. We had the privilege to play for not only the age out ceremony but the 40th anniversary of DCI, truly a magical moment and not matter what the outcome of scores and places at DCA, the most memorable moment of 2012. I feel sorry for all of you who did not get that experience, words cannot describe.

So go ahead post your predictions and be surprised where everyone predicts Statesmen this year..... it's ok My final was in Indy where we told the Drum Corps world that All-age Drum Corps is alive and well thumbup.gif

(Gary, not bagging on you sir, I just wanted to tag on an Empire post....)

Just for the record...

Empire went on for a full show in DCI 1995 in Buffalo, thereby exposing DCA to a full house DCI audience. Westshoremen did the same thing the next year, and Brigs a couple of times as well since then.

I am so glad that you enjoyed DCI, but I never marched in an Empire corps that wasn't trying to WIN DCA!!!! As a proud alum, I find your comments very disturbing. We did all of the same stuff but we also competed to win.

Donny

• Like 4

Glad someone said it. Throwing the towel and "last week was my DCA" really aint ES kinda talk. Been doing the "drum corps to the masses" since the FIRST DAY IN 1983 and every winter show, Santa at the Mall, ICA parade, Bermuda, Rio, England, Curley Shuffle, Yankee Doodle day since, so that part isnt somehow 2012-unique.

Rein in the "its ok to be 6th" talk and get after it. Your corps members and your competitors deserve your best effort. And saying "we're 7th, but we arent really trying" is an insult to your competitors and ES alums. There's no need to speak for the whole corps or feel sorry for anyone else when you, personally, might not be on the same page. If your Final was in Indy, kindly stand aside and make a hole for someone who is ready to compete.

DCA is alive and well and doesnt need to hear it from the DCI crowd to make it so.

Thank you.

Just for the record...

Empire went on for a full show in DCI 1995 in Buffalo, thereby exposing DCA to a full house DCI audience. Westshoremen did the same thing the next year, and Brigs a couple of times as well since then.

I am so glad that you enjoyed DCI, but I never marched in an Empire corps that wasn't trying to WIN DCA!!!! As a proud alum, I find your comments very disturbing. We did all of the same stuff but we also competed to win.

Donny

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 3

Just for the record...

Donny

As I said in my Scranton review, Empire fights. Hard. Very hard. Well said, Donny. :satisfied:

[quote name='wishbonecav' timestamp='1346006957' post='32110

DCA is alive and well and doesnt need to hear it from the DCI crowd to make it so.

Thank you.

And lets be honest here, I have read NOTHING about the Empire/Edge performances in Indy from anyone other than an Empire/Edge person either on DCP or facebook. It seems to me it couldnt have been that awe inspiring for the folks at DCI???

• Like 1

And lets be honest here, I have read NOTHING about the Empire/Edge performances in Indy from anyone other than an Empire/Edge person either on DCP or facebook. It seems to me it couldnt have been that awe inspiring for the folks at DCI???

And that's worthy of a serious and thoughtful debate. Most of those who saw that performance are dealing with decompressing from the season and starting college or trying to get a job. Maybe they just haven't had time to say anything.

I don't think anyone can fault DB and Empire for trying to expose people to the activity. Not at all. They have worked very hard at this for decades.

It's just the pragmatist in me and more than a few of us out there that while we respect the hard work and the serious and sincere attempts, it just seems to get nowhere for all of the serious efforts and energies expended. At my age and in the place I work, I have learned to conserve my mental and physical energy for the most important things. Everything else just brings you down and knocks you out. There's only so much butter to spread on the bun.

The one area I think that it IS positive is that I would believe the Rochester area understands they have an exciting and successful organization that represents their city in a positive way, and that it tries very hard to be involved in the regional community. If they do not understand this, it's not been for a lack of effort on DB and the Statesmen's part, for certain.

Hey, John! Thanks.

I'm thinking both our predictions have a hiccup, or two. What a season! Renegades' heads must be spinning. They can pretty much insert themselves anywhere in the top ten. But, I'll stick with my original call for the "dark side." It's a solid field, for sure. My seat is picked-out!

• Like 1

Holy mackerel... that's a different corps than the one I saw in Bridgeport. :thumbup:

Good-sized crowd there, too!!!

Would have to agree...based on video :ph34r::tongue::devil:

• Like 1

Would have to agree...based on video :ph34r::tongue::devil:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I predict our car will have a lot less cold weather gear than at Rochester. weather.com has low of 71 and high of 85 for next weekend. :worthy:

Rochester ranges from 84 down to 59.....

On average, Annapolis evenings at this time of year do tend to stay milder than Rochester evenings.